Sons' sorrow

David Jackson was a couple of years ahead of me at Hermitage. He later played in the highlands - I think for Brora Rangers. He was a bit of a lad and could certainly handle himself.

Wilf, the David Jackson in the picture was born and stayed in Milton, I played along side him during our years at Dumbarton Academy, very good old fashioned centre half.

From what I can find out, he played eight games and scored one goal.

We have had nothing coming through from our pro youth system since Chapman left. I have recently had a couple of dealings with the pro youth head coach regarding a couple of players and I am extremely disappointed with the outcome.

Until the club appoint someone with drive, enthusiasm, knowledge, professionalism and a decent manner the clubs youth system will only go backwards.

The youth system does worry me somewhat too and you're not the first to mention problems with the man in charge. I understand a large number of coaches at the ydi have resigned in the last year or so. Hopefully this is something the club have realised and will address head on and not try and bury it under the carpet as they did the sons lotto.

After today's defeat at Raith - and no criticism or disgrace around that - the DFC Board has now got to decide if they seriously wish to stay in this division, as continually relying on the teams below us to lose matches and perhaps more points is unrealistic.

Five subs indicates a worryingly threadbare squad, and a part-time one which is picking up suspensions, so every effort must be made to assist Ian Murray in adding some quantity and hopefully quality to the dressing room. And if we don't ? Well, we can quite easily start sliding down the league.

I really feel for the folk at the coalface down there. The club is owned by speculators who have neither the inclination or the means - or both - to run DFC in any conventional sense, other than to occasionally turn up for he bigger fixtures and pee-hee in the Boardroom as if to the manor born.

All of which means that those who really have Dumbarton's interests at heart have until now been doing a sterling job; now they need to put a rocket up Brabco's arse.

After today's defeat at Raith - and no criticism or disgrace around that - the DFC Board has now got to decide if they seriously wish to stay in this division, as continually relying on the teams below us to lose matches and perhaps more points is unrealistic.

Five subs indicates a worryingly threadbare squad, and a part-time one which is picking up suspensions, so every effort must be made to assist Ian Murray in adding some quantity and hopefully quality to the dressing room. And if we don't ? Well, we can quite easily start sliding down the league.

I really feel for the folk at the coalface down there. The club is owned by speculators who have neither the inclination or the means - or both - to run DFC in any conventional sense, other than to occasionally turn up for he bigger fixtures and pee-hee in the Boardroom as if to the manor born.

All of which means that those who really have Dumbarton's interests at heart have until now been doing a sterling job; now they need to put a rocket up Brabco's arse.

I agree that the team needs strengthened but IMO that lie squarely with Ian Murray not the Board. If there was whisperings of no money etc then yes I would say the board need to get their finger out but we aren't hearing that.

In the summer Murray moved quickly to sign a lot of the players up, some like mcdougall,Murray even Maclaughlan to an extent have taken wages and not really given much back.(Playing wise) Maybe Murray had a plan and it changed or maybe it was his managerial naivety to sign quickly just in case we don't get what we need. Now he's grown and learned got rid of the dead wood and is now patiently bringing in players. There is just under 2 weeks left of the window so no need to panic yet.

:(

Probably for the best with young Findlay coming in. Hope the big man swaggers his way into a coosty coaching role somewhere to produce some Chings of the future. Been consistantly solid for us when called upon and he's also consistantly sound as f**k.

Cheerio Ching, GBNF

Edited by Bring Back Paddy Flannery

:(

Probably for the best with young Findlay coming in. Hope the big man swaggers his way into a coosty coaching role somewhere to produce some Chings of the future. Been consistantly solid for us when called upon and he's also consistantly sound as f**k.

Cheerio Ching, GBNF

Couldn't we have punted Nish as our youth coach and just given that gig to Ching? :(

Aw the best big Ching, if only we'd gotten him a year or two earlier.

By my reckoning with mclaughlin gone our first team squad now equals 17 with three of them goalies and kirkpatrick out for the foreseeable future. That leaves 13 players and a bunch of wee boys who are nowhere near championship level. We have 12 days left to sign at least 4 players.

I realise the brabco 6 don't give a toss but Ian murray badly needs the resources to keep the team up. If Ian manages it with what he has he should win the manager of the year undoubtedly.

"It took the boys some time to get used to 3-5-2".

Given that we've played that in around 6 or 7 games and it's now the middle of January and our newest signing can see clear as day that we don't know how to play it, I'd like to hope that'll be the last we see of it.

A look at the Morton thread fills you with confidence in regards to Findlay and he seems to be happier playing along side someone more experienced. Should be a good signing. Striker now and 3 points against Livi please.

By my reckoning with mclaughlin gone our first team squad now equals 17 with three of them goalies and kirkpatrick out for the foreseeable future. That leaves 13 players and a bunch of wee boys who are nowhere near championship level. We have 12 days left to sign at least 4 players.

I realise the brabco 6 don't give a toss but Ian murray badly needs the resources to keep the team up. If Ian manages it with what he has he should win the manager of the year undoubtedly.

Copied from the squad list topic I make this our current squad. Threadbare seems an appropriate description.

Current Dumbarton squad:

Goalkeepers

1. Danny Rogers- (20) May 2015 (loan from Aberdeen)

19. Jamie Ewings- (30) May 2015

21. Stephen Grindlay- (32) May 2015

27. Josh Lumsden- (18) May 2015

Defenders

26. Joe Coleman- (18) May 2015 (On loan at Kilbirnie Ladeside)

4. Andy Graham- (31) May 2015

3. Scott Linton- (25) May 2015

12. Scott Taggart- (22) May 2015

2. David Van Zanten- (32) May 2015 (option for a further year)

5. Lee Mair- (34) May 2015

18. Stuart Findlay- (19) May 2015 (loan from Celtic)

Midfielders

11. Jordan Kirkpatrick- (22) May 2015

6. Chris Turner- (27) May 2015

7. Mark Gilhaney- (30) May 2015

8. Scott Agnew-(27) May 2015

Strikers

14. Garry Fleming- (27) May 2015

10. Mitch Megginson- (22) May 2015

9. Colin Nish- (33) June 2015

20. Archie Campbell- (23) June 2015

(All ages as of 1/1/15)

Out of Contract

None of last seasons first team squad members who haven't already learned their futures.

In

Scott Taggart- Greenock Morton

David Van Zanten- St Mirren

Lee Mair- Partick Thistle

Archie Campbell- Greenock Morton

Danny Rogers- Aberdeen (loan)

Keiran MacDonald- Hamilton Academical (loan)

Chris Kane- St Johnstone (loan)

Stuart Findlay- Celtic (loan)

Out

Nicky Phinn- Released

Owen Ronald- Cumnock

Scott Smith- East Fife

Jack Ross- Heart of Midlothian

Paul McGinn- Dundee

Alan Deans- East Stirlingshire

Joe Coleman- Kilbirnie (loan)

Bryan Prunty- Airdrieonians

Ally McKerracher- Released

Hugh Murray- Clyde

Steven McDougall- Clyde

Keiran MacDonald- Hamilton Academical (Loan expired)

Chris Kane- St Johnstone (Loan expired)

Mark McLaughlin- Released

Updated with the news that Mark McLaughlin & Chris Kane have left, whilst Stuart Findlay has joined the club from Celtic on loan until the end of the season.

I agree we need some players in before the weekend but Murray has now freed up (one forced upon us) 4 wages which should leave plenty of room for another couple of signings at least. 3 of the 4 wages freed up were going to players who didn't contribute much at all to our squad other than filling a jersey for the bench. If he can bring in 2 or 3 players who can improve our first team I'll be delighted. So far I'm pretty happy with the departure of the jersey fillers and the signing of Findlay. I fully expect one of our forthcoming signings to be a young striker on loan.

If Murray gets his next couple of signings right our squad will look much stronger.

Edited by Bring Back Paddy Flannery