P&B Ranks: The Top 42 Video Games of All-Time

Miguel Sanchez

I was going to do this yesterday but I spent about 6 hours straight playing my number 1 and I was done by the end of it

IN JOINT 153RD PLACE, WITH 3 POINTS EACH FROM 1 VOTE

Tekken2Box.jpg

Game: Tekken 2
Platform: PlayStation
Release date: 1996
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8neFY6-xnLY

Tekken 1 game cover.jpg

Game: Tekken
Platform: PlayStation
Release date: 1995
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLyQdwQce2k

COD Warzone cover art.jpg

Game: Call of Duty: Warzone
Platform: PC, PlayStation 4; 5, Xbox One, Series X; S
Release date: 10th March 2020
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdQh7ywFpEk
Poll-maker comments: Given how much time I put into Modern Warfares 1 and 2 I'm intrigued by how much time I would have spent on this if it had released ten years earlier. Or if I was ten years younger.

FortniteLogo.svg

Game: Fortnite
Platform: PC, PlayStation 4; 5, Xbox One, Series X; S, Nintendo Switch, Mobile
Release date: 2017
Gameplay: I'm not even linking anything here. I physically can't stomach the youtube thumbnails.
Poll-maker comments: If Warzone would have taken up a lot of my time, god knows what Fortnite would have done. 

StarWarsBattlefront2 PC.jpg

Game: Star Wars: Battlefront II
Platform: PlayStation 2; Portable, PC, Xbox
Release date: 2005
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZOxr0chB_8
User comments: "One of the best games to ever have been created, lost countless summers to it."
Poll-maker comments: This is probably the first objective-based team shooter I played. Even just playing against the AI there was something addicting to just playing the same maps and games over and over. I couldn't count how many Galactic Conquest campaigns I finished. Who could forget loading up a transport, flying it into your enemy's space cruiser and taking it over from the inside, like an aggressive Trojan Horse? It's a shame a game as inherently playable as this was released before online play really became ubiquitous, and it's an even bigger shame that the 2015 and 2017 reboots were so awful. 

StarCraft Logo.png

Game: StarCraft
Platform: PC
Release date: 1997
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne3BOTSKDh0

A red headed woman's face occupies the foreground on an industrial-style background. She is holding a gun. A grey alien is visible at the bottom right corner. In the bottom of the image, the title "Perfect Dark" featuring a double slash symbol after the word "Dark". Rareware, Nintendo's Seal of Quality, BBFC's rating of "18", and Dolby surround sound logos are shown at the bottom left corner. On the right side of the image, game specifications.

Game: Perfect Dark
Platform: Nintendo 64
Release date: 2000
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVM3pEMubUU

Cannon fodder box art.jpg

Game: Cannon Fodder
Platform: Amiga, Mega Drive, SNES
Release date: 1993
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XUqK4l3VAU

Resi4-gc-cover.jpg

Game: Resident Evil 4
Platform: GameCube at first, then lots more
Release date: 11 January 2005
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5GrJrdM0sM
Zero Punctuation review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_yKMscUIvA
Jim Sterling Jimquisition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tLG6V_nUTM

Binding of isaac header.jpg

Game: The Binding of Isaac 
Platform: PC, subsequent remake on PlayStation 4; Vita, Xbox One, Nintendo Wii U; Switch
Release date: 2011
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV-w-Zf-mc8

My choices are finishing so low, I think 3 or 4 of them have already came up 😂

I understand nobody backing Fortnite but come on Star Wars Battlefront 2 finishing down here. Hang your heads in shame boys.

33 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

I understand nobody backing Fortnite but come on Star Wars Battlefront 2 finishing down here. Hang your heads in shame boys.

I might've chosen BF2 if I hadn't downloaded it again recently and realised how bad the game's aged but god what I've give for a fully fleshed out Galactic Conquest mode. I think my dream game is a great Star Wars shooter with some sort of grand strategy map game.

Europa Universalis/ Total War with Star Wars Battlefront battles.

Edited by NotThePars

1 minute ago, NotThePars said:

I might've chosen BF2 if I hadn't downloaded it again recently and realised how bad the game's aged but god what I've give for a fully fleshed out Galactic Conquest mode. I think my dream game is a great Star Wars shooter with some sort of grand strategy map game.

Europa Universalis/ Total War with Star Wars Battlefront battles.

Galactic Conquest was all me and my mates used to play, was so good, I remember being so disappointed playing the new one and it was all online. 

My choices are finishing so low, I think 3 or 4 of them have already came up [emoji23]
I was going to ask who called it the best game ever but I guess now I don't need to.

2 minutes ago, Mr X said:
42 minutes ago, Stormzy said:
My choices are finishing so low, I think 3 or 4 of them have already came up emoji23.png

I was going to ask who called it the best game ever but I guess now I don't need to.

I said one of, not the best. 

Probably the best Star Wars game ever made though. 

Resident Evil 1-3 & CVX gameplay wise are much bigger games than anything today and certainly any Resi games that came after them.

Tekken 2 was my pick. Disappointed to see it so low - particularly on par with the abysmal in comparison original game. Tekken 3 tends to be the fan favourite I suppose.

7 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Resident Evil 1-3 & CVX gameplay wise are much bigger games than anything today and certainly any Resi games that came after them.

Tekken 2 was my pick. Disappointed to see it so low - particularly on par with the abysmal in comparison original game. Tekken 3 tends to be the fan favourite I suppose.

Tekken 3 was the one with the Double Dragon-stykle mode, wasn't it? Fair enjoyed that tbh.

Perfect Dark was a great game, though suffered a bit from the fact you had to shell out for an expansion pak to play most of it. It was possibly a better game than Goldeneye, and might have been seen as such if it was a Bond game too.

This is the first  time one of my games hasn't appeared as a one-voter, will be interesting to see where it finally appears.

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

Tekken 3 was the one with the Double Dragon-stykle mode, wasn't it? Fair enjoyed that tbh.

Perfect Dark was a great game, though suffered a bit from the fact you had to shell out for an expansion pak to play most of it. It was possibly a better game than Goldeneye, and might have been seen as such if it was a Bond game too.

This is the first  time one of my games hasn't appeared as a one-voter, will be interesting to see where it finally appears.

Yeah. It was the music and atmosphere of 2 that did it for me. 3 had much more content though! And it had Eddie who became the noob, spammer choice of a generation.

55 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Cannon Fodder. What a shout. Proper hero without a cape that nominated that. 

Can't help but think it would play really well on a mobile. 

That was mine, to quote my submission:

I've played Cannon Fodder on an emulator recently ( since lockdown 1 anyway)  and it still holds up very well as the Sensible games were never really about graphics even at that time. The difficulty curve  jump about a third of the way in is brutal but once you get over that hump it's huge fun.

I think what was novel about it was that until that point in games you generally had one character with lots of lives/ try agains, here you had 300 guys with one life and when they were gone they were gone. You nurtured the first few (Jools, Jops, WingsOverScotland*) through the easy levels at the beginning and were a bit upset when they died, but by the later stages the recruits literally were just cannon fodder.

*seriously, although I believe the character was Stoo. One of these things where you have to separate the artist and the art.

edit: forgot there was a horrible reboot/ cannon fodder 3 a few years back. Cannon Fodder 2 was OK, just an expansion disk with more levels really

Edited by Fuctifano

58 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Cannon Fodder. What a shout. Proper hero without a cape that nominated that. 

Can't help but think it would play really well on a mobile. 

Absolutely great game. I still have it!

20210311_140036.thumb.jpg.3ce72fc6dce6385e5ce65e19240ed0be.jpg

I glued the sheet with the copyright codes on to the back. Worms is pictured here because I just found out it was also in there with the Cannon Fodder disc!

20210311_140055.thumb.jpg.c69e9ae6a118d2629d0b8d9753931b09.jpg

Loved how each soldier you lost got a wee gravestone in the screen before each mission. They piled up pretty fast! Cannon Fodder is where I learned the word 'Skidu'.

Perfect Dark was awesome, except when dirty cheats used the farsight. That shit was banned when we played.

Loved how every weapon had a second function. Was great to set the laptop gun as a sentry. Double Cyclones were a joy.

The single player was pretty decent, but loses points for calling the alien 'Elvis'. I hate unoriginal shit like that. The challenge mode where you had to take on Sims was good fun but solid.

I got this on the Xbox360 and it's still great to play.

P.S. Fortnite can f**k so far off.

Edited by DA Baracus

Cannon Fodder's great, and I broke it out again last year at some point, but the mouse controls have always felt too floaty for me and I just get hacked off with the whole thing. Wings Over Scotland supposedly didn't have much to do with this one; it was Cannon Fodder 2 that he was heavily involved in. There's a Cannon Fodder 3 that came out a few years back, but it's one of those things where someone got the licence and knocked up something cheap in Eastern Europe, and it looks like utter dung.

The Binding of Isaac is terrific fun; I've sunk a lot of time into it over the years. It's the kind of game that you need a glossary alongside you to play, as it has roughly ten million different pickups and items and you need to have some idea of what they do before you take them or you can end up severely fucked. It's like a modern version of twin-stick shooters like Robotron or Smash TV, but with a very fucked up plot where you play a toddler trying to avoid being killed by his own religious mother, with all sorts of cartoon nastiness along the way. Not really one for the squeamish.