Pregnancy And Parenting

I became a grandad to a beautiful grandaughter on April 26th 1.26am, 6lb 9 3/4 oz. We've just got Ava Margaret home this afternoon from the neonatal unit at the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, where she has been from her birth. She has changed the way i will live my life forever

I became a grandad to a beautiful grandaughter on April 26th 1.26am, 6lb 9 3/4 oz. We've just got Ava Margaret home this afternoon from the neonatal unit at the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, where she has been from her birth. She has changed the way i will live my life forever

Congrats :)

Thanks for the advice. We're going to try a soother during the night to see if he goes back to sleep, if not we'll try formula before bed, and if that doesn't work we'll move to solids. :)

Well my kids a truely fucked, early on to solids, only breastfed for 3 weeks, I've dropped them off the bed, and bashed their nappers off teh door frame.

The end is nigh

You forgot having you for a dad :P

Just kidding!

There's no one-size-fits-all guideline for bairns. They're all different and need different things.

Congrats heedthebaa - your post made me well up! :)

Hey congrats. Is the wee one okay?

My oldest was three weeks in scbu, as she was 7 weeks premature. She just needed time to grow that wee bit.

Both of ours we waited six months (give or take) for solid food. I think they maybe had some baby rice a week or two earlier but to all intents, six months.

I'm not sure that sleeping patterns have much to do with food really. I'm sure it has a relevance but so do lots of things and I doubt it's that easy to just stick a finger on it. Thomas was a wee pest when he was in his first three or four months in that when he did wake in the middle of the night for a feed you were up two hours. He never took his milk quickly and he never went back to sleep quickly afterwards. There were some loooong nights. However he started sleeping right through the night from about four months and that was him. He's been a great wee sleeper ever since. Steven on the other hand was easier to deal with when he was still getting feeds through the night (or he was once the reflux thing had been diagnosed and solved anyway). He would take his milk much quicker and usually drop right off afterward. Sometimes you were only up 20 minutes. However, he has never been as good a sleeper as Thomas and still isn't. He does sometimes sleep through the night now but even at 15 months old he's still usually up once or twice a night. Usually sticking a dummy in and rubbing his back for five minutes will send him back to sleep so it's not the end of the world but he's just a much lighter sleeper than his brother.

Interestingly Thomas used to want cuddled to sleep when he was a wee baby. Best way to get him to sleep was to stick him on my shoulder and walk around. I used to love that even if it was a pest at times. Steven has never liked that at all. 15 months in I think he's fallen asleep on one of us about once. He likes to lie down and arch his neck back and bury his face in a cushion or pillow to fall asleep. I guess what I'm just trying to highlight is that all babies are very different, even siblings, so I'm not sure anything anyone else can say will help much. Only you can work it out by trial and error. I'd listen to what Mrs M says though. Wise words from someone with much experience on it.

Hey congrats. Is the wee one okay?

My oldest was three weeks in scbu, as she was 7 weeks premature. She just needed time to grow that wee bit.

Cheers guys

She's a wee miracle chico. Took 4 days before they would tell us she would pull through. She has HIE, Hypoxic Ischaemic Encephalopathy Grade 2 (moderate) so a long road ahead for Ava. Her mum and Dad (who i'm so proud of) me and her granny are so up for the task though

Cheers guys

She's a wee miracle chico. Took 4 days before they would tell us she would pull through. She has HIE, Hypoxic Ischaemic Encephalopathy Grade 2 (moderate) so a long road ahead for Ava. Her mum and Dad (who i'm so proud of) me and her granny are so up for the task though

All the best.

Heedtheba: all the best to you and your family, hope the wee one continues to improve.

Niamh's got her 6 week Health visitor check, where the hell did 6 weeks go :unsure:

Hi folks - after a bit of advice please.

Is it generally the done thing to by your wife / gf a present after giving birth?

Cheers

Why?

Lights touch paper and runs for cover......

Why would you buy a present or why am I asking?

The former. I was merely trying to get a rise from the female posters on this thread :P

I think it's traditional to buy an eternity ring? That's what my better half keeps hinting at anyway.

The former. I was merely trying to get a rise from the female posters on this thread :P

I think it's traditional to buy an eternity ring? That's what my better half keeps hinting at anyway.

Apparently so. Three babies and I've not had one yet! Maybe this time...

I've heard about this "tradition" of the new dad buying the new mum a present, but only in the last few years, so it's not what I consider to be tradition at all. I've certainly never had a "thanks for giving birth to my child" present before now!

Apparently so. Three babies and I've not had one yet! Maybe this time...

I've heard about this "tradition" of the new dad buying the new mum a present, but only in the last few years, so it's not what I consider to be tradition at all. I've certainly never had a "thanks for giving birth to my child" present before now!

I got Mrs WB a diamond necklace when she had Cameron, our first, she got hee haw when Chloe came as we were rooked.

She got me Cuban cigars for Cameron and again hee haw for Chloe.

I got Mrs WB a diamond necklace when she had Cameron, our first, she got hee haw when Chloe came as we were rooked.

She got me Cuban cigars for Cameron and again hee haw for Chloe.

I do think it's a nice idea, but to be honest, each time I've given birth I've had slightly more to worry about than going shopping! Money, of course, is a huge issue. What if you have more than one child? More than one eternity ring defeats the object a bit. I'd be more than happy having a decent meal cooked for me and the opportunity for a nice kip!

I do think it's a nice idea, but to be honest, each time I've given birth I've had slightly more to worry about than going shopping! Money, of course, is a huge issue. What if you have more than one child? More than one eternity ring defeats the object a bit. I'd be more than happy having a decent meal cooked for me and the opportunity for a nice kip!

Mrs WB & I had bought it in advance, she never even got a bunch of flowers for number 2, too much going on making sure Cameron wasn't being affected by everything.

8lb 15oz, growth 2cm in fortnight, smiling and peeing on health visitor :lol: 25th percentile for length and weight and 75th for head circumference! :lol: Hearing also fine. :)

Edited by Rowan

8lb 15oz, growth 2cm in fortnight, smiling and peeing on health visitor :lol: 25th percentile for length and weight and 75th for head circumference! :lol: Hearing also fine. :)

Good stuff.

I remember following one of the height charts through all the pages, it estimated that Cameron would be 7foot 2 :lol: