Pregnancy And Parenting

23 minutes ago, gkneil said:

After arriving exactly 1 month early on Xmas day via emergency C-section, spending 2 nights in the neonatal unit and a struggle to get the feeding sorted, this wee lad and his brilliant mum came home last night. I was sitting with him in my arms at midnight seeing in the new year, best Xmas and Hogmanay I'll ever have.

Amazing to see his change from being whisked away 4hrs old struggling with his breathing to being home and doing well. A tough tough cookie, much like SJC's wee one who I hope continues to fight & recover to full health.

IMG_1483308505.506273.jpg

Merry Xmas indeed,hope you are all well and many congrats.

2 hours ago, gkneil said:

After arriving exactly 1 month early on Xmas day via emergency C-section, spending 2 nights in the neonatal unit and a struggle to get the feeding sorted, this wee lad and his brilliant mum came home last night. I was sitting with him in my arms at midnight seeing in the new year, best Xmas and Hogmanay I'll ever have.

Amazing to see his change from being whisked away 4hrs old struggling with his breathing to being home and doing well. A tough tough cookie, much like SJC's wee one who I hope continues to fight & recover to full health.

Congratulations! Great to hear he's doing well after a tough start :)

On 01/01/2017 at 22:08, gkneil said:

Congrats bud :thumsup2

My daughter (20 months) ended up in A&E on Hogmanay after taking a severe allergic reaction to a peanut that she nicked from her mother.  It was very scary to see just how quickly, and how severely it developed.  Her spewing all over the hospital waiting room was a sight!  The receptionist quickly piped up with "Is she ok?" which was met with the obviously "of course she's bloody not".  We got taken in very quickly after that, and spent the next four hours in the ward. 

Thankfully, she's ok after a couple of days of steroids.  We've been referred to the pediatrician consultant to discuss how we deal with it going forward, and what to do should it happen again.

Anything containing nuts is now out of the house.  Has anyone here had any experience, or experience with their kids, of this?  

53 minutes ago, Desp said:

My daughter (20 months) ended up in A&E on Hogmanay after taking a severe allergic reaction to a peanut that she nicked from her mother.  It was very scary to see just how quickly, and how severely it developed.  Her spewing all over the hospital waiting room was a sight!  The receptionist quickly piped up with "Is she ok?" which was met with the obviously "of course she's bloody not".  We got taken in very quickly after that, and spent the next four hours in the ward. 

Thankfully, she's ok after a couple of days of steroids.  We've been referred to the pediatrician consultant to discuss how we deal with it going forward, and what to do should it happen again.

Anything containing nuts is now out of the house.  Has anyone here had any experience, or experience with their kids, of this?  

Glad she's better. @Rowan's the girl for allergy advice! 

5 hours ago, Desp said:

My daughter has loads food allergies, gluten, wheat, dairy, egg, soya and strawberries.

Once you know what her triggers are then it's easier. I have epipens and piriton in house, car, school etc. Make sure all your family are there when/if nurse comes out show how to administer epipen and they will got to nursery/childcare provider too.

ive not tried her with nuts as there is a fair chance she'd react. 

Niamhs very articulate and great at telling people she can't have stuff. you can get child alert braclets.

You'll possibly be referred to a dietician, don't get your hopes up as they were useless.

the Paediatrican may do allergy sensitivity tests but they aren't all what accurate. Niamh didn't react to egg yet stood beside me when I whipped egg whites one day and came out in blotches.

its scary to start with but we haven't had any 999 since we worked out it was strawberry sending her into anaphylactic shock.

Drop me a pm anytime.

Edited by Rowan

I've no idea what to give my daughter. I made goulash yesterday and gave her some. It was whilst eating it myself I realised how hot I had made it and panicked slightly but the baby was quite happy eating it and didn't seem bothered about how spicy it was so just decided to keep giving it to her.

Cheese is the funny one. Gave her some cheddar but her nappy after that absolutely stank, like a cheesemongers during a heatwave, which made me wonder if that was a good choice. Problem is the usual baby stuff she doesn't seem that keen on, as if they are too bland. Minefield. She loves her fish though, but I'm getting a bit bored of fish most nights so trying to move onto other foods to give her.

5 hours ago, Desp said:

My daughter has loads food allergies, gluten, wheat, dairy, egg, soya and strawberries.

Once you know what her triggers are then it's easier. I have epipens and piriton in house, car, school etc. Make sure all your family are there when/if nurse comes out show how to administer epipen and they will got to nursery/childcare provider too.

ive not tried her with nuts as there is a fair chance she'd react. 

Niamhs very articulate and great at telling people she can't have stuff. you can get child alert braclets.

You'll possibly be referred to a dietician, don't get your hopes up as they were useless.

the Paediatrican may do allergy sensitivity tests but they aren't all what accurate. Niamh didn't react to egg yet stood beside me when I whipped egg whites one day and came out in blotches.

its scary to start with but we haven't had any 999 since we worked out it was strawberry sending her into anaphylactic shock.

Drop me a pm anytime.

1 hour ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

We just give what we are eating. Tonight it's chicken risotto. The only thing she has reacted to is natural yoghurt, when she got a rash all over her face. Weird one, since it's basically just milk.

That's what I did with mine. Baby led and just served everyone the same take it or leave it. Which is same now.

On 1/4/2017 at 22:37, Desp said:

Glad to hear she's ok. Must have been a nightmare.

On 1/4/2017 at 23:19, Sweet Pete said:

Sweet Pete the third expected July. Dunno if we're actually having a boy or girl and we didn't name the first one Sweet Pete, but still.

Congratulations mate.

21 hours ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

We just give what we are eating. Tonight it's chicken risotto. The only thing she has reacted to is natural yoghurt, when she got a rash all over her face. Weird one, since it's basically just milk.

Pretty much this. Whenever I make soup I just leave out the stock cubes and seasoning until its ready for portioning off for her. Once that's done, season away for ourselves.

On a bit of a curry kick at the moment (got a curry cookbook for Christmas), is there anything I should be wary of regarding giving curry to babies? I'm leaving out a lot of the heat and using oil instead of ghee but I'm still never entirely sure what I should and shouldn't give her.