Pregnancy And Parenting

Well I'm a dad now. Baby was born 6 days ago under fairly traumatic circumstances but things have settled since. My wife went through 60 hours of labour (30 hours of which in hospital) before they took an emergency decision to have a c-section as the baby's heart rate had started to drop (they think due to exhaustion after such a long labour!)

We are home now and things are going quite well but it has been very tough on my wife who is still recovering from surgery plus our baby is now cluster feeding (the 145th new term I've learned in the last few months) which means he is constantly needing fed at the most ungodly hours of the night. Worried she is already totally exhausted by the whole thing and hopefully it will get a little better. I've been doing as much as I can around the house and trying to be as helpful as I can but at this early stage I do feel so sorry for her as she is basically a machine keeping baby alive and there's only so much I can do. I'm off work for another week and I really hope that by that time things are a bit more settled.

I've enjoyed reading through this thread as an observer and found much of the information and many of the stories incredibly helpful. 

Our son is amazing and it is difficult to describe how much love we feel for him.

16 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Well I'm a dad now. Baby was born 6 days ago under fairly traumatic circumstances but things have settled since. My wife went through 60 hours of labour (30 hours of which in hospital) before they took an emergency decision to have a c-section as the baby's heart rate had started to drop (they think due to exhaustion after such a long labour!)

We are home now and things are going quite well but it has been very tough on my wife who is still recovering from surgery plus our baby is now cluster feeding (the 145th new term I've learned in the last few months) which means he is constantly needing fed at the most ungodly hours of the night. Worried she is already totally exhausted by the whole thing and hopefully it will get a little better. I've been doing as much as I can around the house and trying to be as helpful as I can but at this early stage I do feel so sorry for her as she is basically a machine keeping baby alive and there's only so much I can do. I'm off work for another week and I really hope that by that time things are a bit more settled.

I've enjoyed reading through this thread as an observer and found much of the information and many of the stories incredibly helpful. 

Our son is amazing and it is difficult to describe how much love we feel for him.

Congratulations mate. We had a pretty similar experience and it is very difficult in the early days especially with the recovery from the C Section. Easy for me to say, but it does get easier day by day. Just be there for your wife and son but try not to burn yourself out at the same time, that won't help any of you. Best wishes to the three of you.

15 minutes ago, Rugster said:

No one is going near my baws with a scalpel. 

The doctor had to call in reinforcement nurses during my snip for fear of getting punched. Horrendous experience. Wanted to throttle him. See the snip thread.. get knocked out first would be my advice. 

1 minute ago, Shandon Par said:

The doctor had to call in reinforcement nurses during my snip for fear of getting punched. Horrendous experience. Wanted to throttle him. See the snip thread.. get knocked out first would be my advice. 

No thanks, I'm not going near that thread again. Can we stop talking about this please?

Not posted on here for a while but my wee one is doing well, she’s 7 months old now.

As I type this I’m hiding in the kitchen eating my breakfast because if you don’t share food with her she just goes mental. Apart from that though she’s quite a calm and content baby.

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

Bet the nurses were chuckling at your 2 incher. 

Our baby is continually booting my wife these days.  We went for a midwife appointment a few weeks back, just when she'd started feeling movement and the midwife said that if you stop feeling movement you should lie down with no distractions and count ten movements.  If you don't feel this within an hour, you should phone in.

My wife couldn't sleep the other night so did this exercise - our lad reached ten movements in 45 seconds :lol:  We've even looked up if there can be too much movement but apparently not.

Just now, ICTChris said:

Our baby is continually booting my wife these days.  We went for a midwife appointment a few weeks back, just when she'd started feeling movement and the midwife said that if you stop feeling movement you should lie down with no distractions and count ten movements.  If you don't feel this within an hour, you should phone in.

My wife couldn't sleep the other night so did this exercise - our lad reached ten movements in 45 seconds :lol:  We've even looked up if there can be too much movement but apparently not.

How long before arrival?