The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

4 hours ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

There is s podcast called 'Wrestle Me' out just now it's a guy off Absoloute Radio and The Football Ramble podcast and a comedy writer watching every Wrestlemania and discussing each one starting from the first one. I'm not into wrestling but it is very entertaining.

It is pretty good, goes at wrestling from a slightly different angle than most of the ones doing it as fans.  They're ripping the arse out of it by splitting each one out into two episodes though, so they can just record hunners and then drip release them.

6 hours ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

There is s podcast called 'Wrestle Me' out just now it's a guy off Absoloute Radio and The Football Ramble podcast and a comedy writer watching every Wrestlemania and discussing each one starting from the first one. I'm not into wrestling but it is very entertaining.

I've become a big fan of this. A lot of fun stories and well researched insight in it.

Think the best story so far though was about Pete Donaldson ( guy who does Football Ramble ) and Randy Orton in a radio interview. Don't want to ruin it. It's funny as f**k.

I think WALTER is fast becoming my favourite guy to watch at the minute. Caught up on PROGRESS and his match with Timothy Thatcher from Chapter 62 is probably going to wind up as the best match over here this year. His stuff in PWG has been outstanding so far, and the wXw rivalry with David Starr, as well as the matches they've been having elsewhere, are well worth going out of your way to see.

Wish Amazon or similar company would buy the rights to WWE. Can chuck the PG era out the window, not having to worry about upsetting sponsors.

Similar to what happened with top gear / grand tour - can have any content they wish. It would allow them to put more "grit" into the product.

Mind the days of Austin running rampage in houses, trucks etc - I long for days like that to return!

Aye, plus Amazon or similar would still want advertisers on board, and they're the ones who want a PG product.

As Randy says, even if it was 18+, it would still be average at best as you'd still have the same shit writers with the same shit problems, all under the massively out of touch Vince McMahon.

Can you actually imagine what an Attitude Era style product would look like in the current day?  It worked back then, but it would be absolutely tragic now.  It reminds me of the people who want to be allowed to bring flares and pyro into the football saying it would "add atmosphere".  If you think you need to set fire to something to add atmosphere, then you're beyond help, and similarly if you think that adding some chebs and questionable humour into the current product would somehow make things instantly better, then you're similarly beyond help.

Besides, look at NXT - consistently brilliant matches and storylines with no need for pushing the envelope in that way.  The only thing I'd support changing is their stance on blood, and have them more inclined to use it when it's relevant and will have the impact (and only then, mind, no Flair blading on the outside of the cage etc) to make matches seem bigger.  Even then, it's not strictly necessary, you just need to write better.

16 minutes ago, forameus said:

Can you actually imagine what an Attitude Era style product would look like in the current day?  It worked back then, but it would be absolutely tragic now.  It reminds me of the people who want to be allowed to bring flares and pyro into the football saying it would "add atmosphere".  If you think you need to set fire to something to add atmosphere, then you're beyond help, and similarly if you think that adding some chebs and questionable humour into the current product would somehow make things instantly better, then you're similarly beyond help.

Besides, look at NXT - consistently brilliant matches and storylines with no need for pushing the envelope in that way.  The only thing I'd support changing is their stance on blood, and have them more inclined to use it when it's relevant and will have the impact (and only then, mind, no Flair blading on the outside of the cage etc) to make matches seem bigger.  Even then, it's not strictly necessary, you just need to write better.

I actually tried to watch the WWE recently and gave it a few weeks but i find it utterly mind numbing now, literally no decent characters these days.

Edited by DanMc99

The attitude era was organic and a product of the time and the state of the industry. It'd feel a bit forced now if anything.
Having said that, most of what we see on wwe feels forced and scripted to the nth degree as it is. Absolutely fine though with not bringing gubbins back like HLA and Shawn Michaels wanking off a sausage.