The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

There was enough of a time lapse between Gorilla Monsoon and Jr in that it was not only two different generations that grew up with the product, but the product was wildly aimed at different members in society so that both could be considered the best play by play guy 'ever' without anyone ever getting offended.

Modern day fans don't really get behind Michael Cole and whilst he does a job that JR probably could never do (Product placement, following a script etc), even by the wwe, he's never been outwardly considered as anything other than 'does a job'. He certainly can't draw the fans in like JR and King did in my era. However, (I'll finally get to my point) Michael Cole has now been a lead commentator of a WWE programme (Smackdown or Raw) for almost 20 year. JR had a good 12 year and even that was broken up with spells where the Wwe (Vince) didn't fancy him.

So, when will they start making Cole out to be an absolute hero? He really is the voice of Raw, which is depressing to say. He does a tremendous job. It is certainly one I don't envy, but he has never managed to hook fans like JR could.

Mankind vs Taker wouldn't be the same if it wasn't for JR's commentary. Does Cole have a claim to fame? I've a feeling Coachman will begin to perhaps phase him out slightly. They were always equally as high on Coachman. Tbf, Cole is Jr level compared to Coachman.

Anyways ramble over.

Nobody is going to draw people the way JR did anymore. I'm not sure I can remember another commentator who has tbh. The way that job is now makes it utterly impossible. Maybe one of the color commentators stand a chance, but he's got a job that requires him to essentially be a one trick pony. Which he's much better at than anyone else WWE will put in that position.

12 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Mankind vs Taker wouldn't be the same if it wasn't for JR's commentary. Does Cole have a claim to fame? I've a feeling Coachman will begin to perhaps phase him out slightly. They were always equally as high on Coachman. Tbf, Cole is Jr level compared to Coachman.

The only moment I can think of was his "for the love of mankind" line that he was visibly reading from a script during Shane/Taker.  That little moment says it all really.  Cole probably has the talent to be considered on that level, but he has to put up with shit that none of the other greats did.  Seem to remember he was pretty good at the UK Tournament, presumably because Vince was absent and couldn't bellow down the earpiece at him to "call him the big dog, put over that guy, AND DRINK YOUR FUCKING MOUNTAIN DEW COLE!".  

I do feel a bit sorry for him - he's a great broadcaster doing a good job in difficult circumstances.  He's certainly far better than a lot of people they've put behind the desk.

I agree that Cole is much better than some that they've put behind the desk. He's almost 50 now. And WWE seem to think it's a young man's game as JR was dropped when he was in his 50s. Yet Cole doesn't get praised by the WWE as an institution like JR does (Forget fan opinion).

Who will ultimately replace him? Tom Philips?

As an aside, I always wondered how the wwe landscape would have looked if it was Kevin Sullivan that got the nod instead.

I agree that Cole is much better than some that they've put behind the desk. He's almost 50 now. And WWE seem to think it's a young man's game as JR was dropped when he was in his 50s. Yet Cole doesn't get praised by the WWE as an institution like JR does (Forget fan opinion).

Who will ultimately replace him? Tom Philips?

As an aside, I always wondered how the wwe landscape would have looked if it was Kevin Sullivan that got the nod instead.

Cole’s been called “the voice of WWE” for quite a while has he not?

Cole’s been called “the voice of WWE” for quite a while has he not?

I thought JR was still referred to as that. At least he was when he was drafted in for Jerry Lawler when he had his heart attack (Which is admittedly a few year ago now).

32 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I thought JR was still referred to as that. At least he was when he was drafted in for Jerry Lawler when he had his heart attack (Which is admittedly a few year ago now).

I remember it being said a couple of times in 2014 NXT and after that. Who knows. Reckon JR is considered that by the fans but we all know what Vince is like with JR. :lol:

Saw a gif/video on instagram someone linked to of a camera solely focused on Mauro during Takeover.  I said during the show that he sounded like he was particularly red in the face and giving it his all, and by f**k did he.  

Essentially this, but a wee bit more extravagant.

Image result for i hear you're a racist now father gif

Guest bernardblack
Saw a gif/video on instagram someone linked to of a camera solely focused on Mauro during Takeover.  I said during the show that he sounded like he was particularly red in the face and giving it his all, and by f**k did he.  
Essentially this, but a wee bit more extravagant.
KYF_7F.gif

I've just seen this, love Mauro.....MAMA MIA

Guest bernardblack
Just watched the Andre documentary.
A few bits that are tough to watch, talking about him away from the ring. Such a sad and difficult life.

Link?