The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

Wrestling historians - Question for you. I was brought up thinking Earthquake was one of the biggest names in wrestling. He was amongst my first wrestling action figures as a child, but I found out recently that he ended his career as one of the Oddities and his gimmick had an obsession for Eric Cartman. What a shit end to what I perceived to be a megastar's career. Why didn't WWF just attempt a return with the Earthquake character? It probably wouldn't have worked, but it'd have been better than that FFS.

The Quake character wouldn't have been a great fit in 1998-99 WWF. Plus by that point he was late 30s and had a lot of miles on the wrestling clock.

Looking back, it's hard to think John Tenta was only 27 when he had the big run with Hogan. Could have easily passed for a decade older. Big Viscera was another one who was a lot younger in his first WWF runs than one would think due to his size.

1 minute ago, Markka said:

The Quake character wouldn't have been a great fit in 1998-99 WWF. Plus by that point he was late 30s and had a lot of miles on the wrestling clock.

Looking back, it's hard to think John Tenta was only 27 when he had the big run with Hogan. Could have easily passed for a decade older. Big Viscera was another one who was a lot younger in his first WWF runs than one would think due to his size.

I could kinda get that - but they utilised Hogan with a mask little more than 5 years after. They could have made Earthquake or Vader for that matter into a right bad b*****d, but never took advantage of that.

It probably was back then - but late 30's is nothing now, really. Luke Harper is 38. He's one of the best for me, there's too much of a prejudice against these guys. I reckon, with the right push, Harper could've been a main event guy for another 8 or so year. Kane was main eventing last month at 50.

15 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Wrestling historians - Question for you. I was brought up thinking Earthquake was one of the biggest names in wrestling. He was amongst my first wrestling action figures as a child, but I found out recently that he ended his career as one of the Oddities and his gimmick had an obsession for Eric Cartman. What a shit end to what I perceived to be a megastar's career. Why didn't WWF just attempt a return with the Earthquake character? It probably wouldn't have worked, but it'd have been better than that FFS.

Think he was originally supposed to return as Quake and he later did in a few Velocity matches about 2002-03 but I think he'd lost a lot of weight at that point in 1999 so it wouldn't have quite had the same impact to be Earthquake, nor would he have fit the era.  He'd also cut his hair and had gone through a shite time being constantly made a joke of,  saddled with loads of shite gimmicks and buried in WCW. 

Quake in his prime was good though, really good and deceptively fast and agile for a man of his size. 

Edited by djchapsticks

37 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Think he was originally supposed to return as Quake and he later did in a few Velocity matches about 2002-03 but I think he'd lost a lot of weight at that point in 1999 so it wouldn't have quite had the same impact to be Earthquake, nor would he have fit the era.  He'd also cut his hair and had gone through a shite time being constantly made a joke of,  saddled with loads of shite gimmicks and buried in WCW. 

Quake in his prime was good though, really good and deceptively fast and agile for a man of his size. 

This is said about pretty much every single big wrestler 

Looks like WWE are really stacking the decks for this Saudi Arabia show at the end of April.  

As well as a 50-man Royal Rumble, there's apparently now going to be 7 Championship matches, which will presumably be both World Titles, both tag team titles, the Cruiserweights, IC and US titles.  Also rumoured to be a Network special according to DA BIG DOG.

However, there is apparently going to be no women's involvement, or at least none has been hinted at.  Perhaps not surprising, but it'll be an interesting position for WWE to take given how much they're trumpeting how important Women's Wrestling is.  

1 hour ago, forameus said:

Looks like WWE are really stacking the decks for this Saudi Arabia show at the end of April.  

As well as a 50-man Royal Rumble, there's apparently now going to be 7 Championship matches, which will presumably be both World Titles, both tag team titles, the Cruiserweights, IC and US titles.  Also rumoured to be a Network special according to DA BIG DOG.

However, there is apparently going to be no women's involvement, or at least none has been hinted at.  Perhaps not surprising, but it'll be an interesting position for WWE to take given how much they're trumpeting how important Women's Wrestling is.  

There was a women’s match in Abu Dhabi earlier this year wasn’t there? Sasha vs Becky maybe? I remember they showed pics on a Raw of the match, although the were covered pretty much neck to toe in Lycra instead of the usual hot pants etc. 

Dunno if there’s any subtle differences in what’s acceptable between UAE and Saudi but imagine they could do that again?

4 minutes ago, Christophe said:

There was a women’s match in Abu Dhabi earlier this year wasn’t there? Sasha vs Becky maybe? I remember they showed pics on a Raw of the match, although the were covered pretty much neck to toe in Lycra instead of the usual hot pants etc. 

Dunno if there’s any subtle differences in what’s acceptable between UAE and Saudi but imagine they could do that again?

I wasn't aware of that.  It's probably just the dirtsheets making something out of nothing, don't see what would be the harm in just doing what they did above (even though it looks and is fucking ridiculous).  Still, with 7 matches at least, plus a Royal Rumble which could well take close to 90 minutes, this is shaping up to be a ridiculous show.  

Still, believe it'll be a 5pm start UK time on a Friday, which is a nice change.

The UAE is more lax to woman than Saudi Arabia I’d say. Probably because it has a lot more tourism than Saudi Arabia but

3 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

5 Star Wrestling is officially done, to the surprise of absolutely nobody.

:lol: Glad I never bought a ticket. I was holding out as I was expecting something like this

I feel sorry for folk who didn't really know much about them and got tickets and have been duped. But there's ones out there who got tickets being all "DON'T BE NEGATIVE" despite them having stopped doing shows TWICE before now and had full knowledge of this. f**k those ones.