The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

6 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

One of Pillman's kids is a wrestler and is in AEW.

Brian Jr is in the documentary and comes across really well, especially when you consider how fucked up his childhood was.

6 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Bischoff has been rewriting a lot of history for a while. Many of the podcasters do it, most notably Pritchard.

As much as Cornette is an arsehole, he's the only one I'd trust to be even close to accurate when recalling this stuff. The rest of them seem to go down the line of "as long as it's closer than Russo's version, it's true"

17 hours ago, TheGoon said:

Prichard especially is pretty much insufferable now. I liked early STW but since returning he’s taken his yes man nonsense about 100 notches higher. 

Yeah, he was by far my favourite Conrad podcaster. It's just completely dull now though and they go over much of the same ground. I preferred Prichard to JR because in a weird way, I think Prichard is a better talker. JR rambles far too much and seems to have a victim complex. 

Arn Anderson's is decent, but a lot of the stuff he talks about is either before my time or during the period I'd stopped even keeping up to date with wrestling. Schiavone's is insufferable at times and generally mostly watch alongs. Bischoff's is the best, but the amount of nonsense and rewriting of history he speaks put me off.

Cornette is an acquired taste. You either like his 'shock jock' stuff or you don't. I do, but again, gets a bit boring after a while. I prefer Brian Last to Conrad Thompson, however. Think Cornette is the most truthful out of the lot, but exaggerates to the point it grates.

Not listened to Angles.

Kinda went off wrestling podcasts of late. There's only so many stories one can tell.

Anything worth listening to at the moment?

I enjoyed JRs podcast a lot more once he started working with Conrad but he's going back to his old habit of multiple random bitter rants in the middle of his trying to make a point. At least Prichard can sometimes make his rants a bit more entertaining but Ross just sounds really angry and bitter.

The worst is when he expresses an opinion or states something and then imagines how some people on social media might react to it and then goes off on a rant about that reaction which at this point at least is entirely made up in his own head. This happens multiple times an episode.

I gave up on Arns podcast as it was a little dull.

Watched the new Savage documentary. It’s decent, but it’ll be very interesting to contrast it with Warrior’s in a few weeks. They were more than willing to bring up Macho Man’s dodgy past, but not Austin’s. Hogan also cones off horrifically in it, again. 

Still shite we never got to see him make any kind of return appearance. Were on the verge of it right before he passed. 

Jarrett's first episode is out today so will give it a listen. His could be fascinating with his experiences and positions of power in the territories, WWF/WWE, WCW and TNA/Impact/Global Force. Obviously he's working for WWE  again now so how truthful he'll be about his previous stints there remains to be seen. 

They should have canned Something to Wrestle With as soon as Bruce went back to WWE. He was always reasonably economical with the truth but it's become a real parody of itself now. I enjoy listening to Grilling JR, 83 Weeks and the new Kurt Angle one. Bischoff still has his moments but I think he's gotten a lot better about being honest and not trying so hard to protect his reputation and justify decisions he made 20 years ago. When he first started his unwillingness to speak about ('I don't recall') or criticise things was really awkward and seemed to create tension between him and Conrad. But their relationship and chemistry together has definitely improved. I don't listen to the Tony Schiavone one as I just don't have the time to do the watch alongs required and the Arn show is fine but not something I go out of my way to listen to. They do a lot of 'Ask Arn' shows which makes me think they're struggling for content already. Conrad's even doing a show with Chris Hero as well now on Ad free shows but again I don't have the time (or money) to listen to it. 

I don't mind STWW still. It's not hitting the heights they did but it's still a decent listen.

I really like JR's insight but as someone else said his constant rambles at hypothetical people online isn't just boring anymore, it's a massive turn off. He comes across at times like an angry old man, which is a shame as I really enjoy his thoughts and insights on some of the topics. 

83 weeks is at it's best when it's a Q&A or a character profile. I don't give a f*ck about the shows because I never watched WCW. 

Can't be arsed with Schiavone either. I'm sure it's entertaining but it's not for me. 

I'll give JJ double J e double F J a double r e double t a listen though. He was a fucking boring character but an interesting guy in the business. 

I really miss Edge and Christian's podcast, was my go-to every single week.

I'd say that there isn't THAT much more arsekissing from Prichard. He's probably always been open to returning, and he always had that tendency. But I still think he provides enough actual insight to make it worth it.

Have to agree with Bischoff having become more open, and been quite happy to say "could have done that different" a fair bit. He also has a good thing where he drops info that isn't THAT big a deal, but it's just wee insights that make it an easier listen.

I'll give Angle a shot at a later time when he's been there a while, because he'll probably have more to say at that point.

I can see JJ being fascinating. Not listened to it yet, but he's been involved in so many places at so many important times in so many big things. So even if he doesn't open, he seems like someone who will be a great listen.

Nothing against Arn but he's a bit dull. JR I've given up on. I think I'd listen to Schiavone if it was more focused on the same era as Bischoff, but I suppose that's already covered so fair enough. I like Schiavone so I'm sure it's great.

Hero's really depends what he's doing. If it's an Ask Anything, he can bring out some great shit.

Edited by Andre Drazen

7 hours ago, airdrieman said:

They do a lot of 'Ask Arn' shows which makes me think they're struggling for content already.

They basically went straigt into alternating weeks between a topic and AMA. A bit like with Tony moving to just watch alongs. There's only so much of interest from someone that was never heavily involved behind the scenes involved in decisisons. At least with Kurt Angle and I suppose now JJ they were more involved at the top and more current to draw in a casual audience.

I'm just watching the WWE Savage documentary. I'm quite surprised at how much of his 'dark side' they went into, especially compared to the very sanitised Austin and Piper episodes. I could do without quite a few of some of the pointless talking heads, especially Bubba the fucking Love Sponge. At least Hogan seemed to be talking less shite than he normally does on these things.

The Warrior episode will be fascinating, especially with the Dark Side of the Ring episode coming out at the same time.

Edit - talking of podcasts, I want to hear the Gorgeous George podcast. I bet she has some incredible stories about the WCW locker room from that era [emoji38]

I'm just watching the WWE Savage documentary. I'm quite surprised at how much of his 'dark side' they went into, especially compared to the very sanitised Austin and Piper episodes. I could do without quite a few of some of the pointless talking heads, especially Bubba the fucking Love Sponge. At least Hogan seemed to be talking less shite than he normally does on these things.

The Warrior episode will be fascinating, especially with the Dark Side of the Ring episode coming out at the same time.

Edit - talking of podcasts, I want to hear the Gorgeous George podcast. I bet she has some incredible stories about the WCW locker room from that era [emoji38]
I've not seen the Savage documentary yet. Do they talk about the "Stephanie incident", or is that still a taboo subject?

25 minutes ago, Chicken Wing said:
1 hour ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Edit - talking of podcasts, I want to hear the Gorgeous George podcast. I bet she has some incredible stories about the WCW locker room from that era emoji38.png

I've not seen the Savage documentary yet. Do they talk about the "Stephanie incident", or is that still a taboo subject?

Nah, they don't really address his bad blood with WWE. Lawler made it sound like Savage jumped ship without warning and suddenly appeared on Nitro like Luger, even though in reality Savage joined WCW long before the first episode of Nitro.

There’s an episode of Baywatch on Comedy Central right now that features Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage. Both are pretty much in character, it’s sensational stuff!

Flair and Vader have just arrived too!

39 minutes ago, city_gord said:

There’s an episode of Baywatch on Comedy Central right now that features Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage. Both are pretty much in character, it’s sensational stuff!

Flair and Vader have just arrived too!

An absolute tremendous piece of nonsense.