The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

image.png.7418cb44e3de993d6369d5a04f53720f.png

Hottest free agent in wrestling klaxon. Kayfabe it's wanting a new challenge but in reality it's likely an issue with Noah's booking & management which as much I like the promotion it has real problems with both. Brings an end to a 16 year tenure with the company although curiously only signed a contract with the promotion in 2016.

Edited by GNU_Linux

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like CM Punk may not be done after all, as WWE are now dropping in reference after reference to him on television.  Several from Seth Rollins and some from Michael Cole.  Could well be Rollins vs Punk at WM, which would be...a choice.  Absolute scenes too though.

2 hours ago, forameus said:

Looks like CM Punk may not be done after all, as WWE are now dropping in reference after reference to him on television.  Several from Seth Rollins and some from Michael Cole.  Could well be Rollins vs Punk at WM, which would be...a choice.  Absolute scenes too though.

Punk also said on one of his commentary gigs that he's free for the next two months. The timing of which apparently ties in with Survivor Series in Chicago. 

I think it’d be kind of mortifying for him -not that’d he’d be arsed about perception (especially with the cashhe’d be on) but everyone would know he deep down does not want to be there. Scott Allan at Celtic stuff.

I actually think it's probably a no-lose situation for WWE.  They can presumably go in hard with an offer, and if he rejects it, well f**k him, we might end up having the Rock at WM too, and we'll still make a small fortune without Punk.  They probably also assume that even with Punk's well publicised problems at AEW, they'll be able to martial that kind of behaviour without it boiling over.  They did it for years after all.  There won't be the sort of weak leadership that Tony Khan exhibited that let the whole situation fester, and I suspect Punk knows that too and will probably toe the line for the duration of what will probably be a short contract.  Owens seems like he'd be the first in line to put a big smug face on, and Rollins has called the guy "a cancer" in the past (although probably as much an angle than anything else), but can you ever see the likes of those two letting things get to the point where they're brawling in a dressing room?

But every other party stands to lose.  AEW will be watching all the money they could have made disappear into the pockets of their "rivals" (although that is minor, as they were absolutely right to punt him).  Punk though, he stands to lose a hell of a lot.  You say he's not arsed about perception, but I think that's exactly what he's arsed about.  I don't think he's capable of just letting anything slide with his ego, and he's going to have to eat A LOT of shit if he goes back.  Unless he manages to negotiate a live mic, or persuades them that the best persona to come back with is unfiltered Punk, he's got a lot of making up to do with WWE.  Publicly.  At least he seems to have maybe begun that path with his weird visit to RAW.  Although it would be fucking hilarious if he turns up at Survivor Series, then comes out on the next RAW and has HHH randomly appear to verbally eviscerate him.

I wonder how they'd attempt to book him if he does come back.  I think AEW really missed a trick in not leaning into  how much of a c**t he was becoming and book him as a full-blown heel.  Having him continually come out with his aw shucks routine while the reception slowly turned was a waste.  What's he going to say as a face in WWE?  Aye, sorry about that lads, I didn't really mean you were all shite when I went to AEW.  

I'd have him return in the run-up to Survivor Series to set up a match, then have him do something properly fucking heelish in Chicago, basically tell him that if he doesn't go out and get boo'd by the end of it, he'll be punted again.  That opens them up to allow him to lean into the stuff he was saying all along, and basically be Phil Brooks without the looming egomania that Tony Khan enabled.  He clearly had issues with WWE that he's only accepting now because he's burned every other bridge.  Lean into it, then later on you can pivot him back towards a face when the crowds inevitably start to enjoy him being the bad guy.  

Shame HHH would likely never be cleared for any kind of segment.  Having Punk physically attack the man who almost died a couple of years back would be a good start.  

...and after all that, WOR now saying that WWE have passed on Punk.  And not just passed him, but actively rejecting him after he expressed an interest.  And in, admittedly, what is probably some dirtsheet dressing, they also said they might be more interested if they end up in a downturn.  So cheers Phil, but we just don't need you. We'll give you a call if we're desperate.  Ooft.

Either this isn't true and it's smoke and mirrors for him to make a massive surprise appreance or (and more likely) they've weighed it up and came to the conclusion that cost of having a ticking time bomb in the locker room is not worth the money they'd draw if they did sign him. 

Just finished reading Jim Ross’s book ‘slobberknocker’. Enjoyed it but he went in to more detail about his life and early work than his WCW and WWF days which was a little boring.

Once i finish Kimi Raikonen’s book I’m gonna read Brian Gerwitz, really looking forward to that.

43 minutes ago, FifeArab said:

Just finished reading Jim Ross’s book ‘slobberknocker’. Enjoyed it but he went in to more detail about his life and early work than his WCW and WWF days which was a little boring.

Once i finish Kimi Raikonen’s book I’m gonna read Brian Gerwitz, really looking forward to that.

His follow up book, 'Under the Black Hat' covers the WWE stuff and losing his wife which is the much better of the two books.

1 hour ago, FifeArab said:

Kimi’s book any good? 

Reckon the next Rumble will be one the best, most unpredictable and have the most credible* wrestlers in years.

You'd think it'll be between Cody and LA Knight, but Günther, Owens, Seth, Drew, Brock and Jey are credible winners (some more than others mind!), and Solo, Sheamus, Jimmy, Cena, Rey, Dom, Priest, Balor, AJ, Gable, Kofi, Lashley, Miz, Carlito, Orton* and Nakamura are all good stars who would add to the event, leaving space for one or two surprises. There will be few jobbers.

It's going to be the strongest field in years for the men's Rumble. Reckon it'll be the best in many, many years.

If the women's Rumble was restricted to 20 they'd have a cracking one too, but if they have to pad it out to 30 you'll get too many no hopers/jobbers.

• 3 weeks later...