The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
15 hours ago, TheGoon said:

Kevin Dunn away from WWE. Hopefully finally the change in presentation and end of the camera cuts they’ve needed for years. 

I imagine Conrad will be angling for a pod with him.

I look forward to Cornette's reaction, he has always spoken of Dunn in glowing terms...

Nakajima vs Miyahara part II my word. A late candidate for the MOTY list. Also Nakajima committed an utterly stellar act of shitehousery:

The ring attire is based off of Kazuyuki Fujita an MMA & wrestler who got pushed to the heavens during NJPW's peak Inoki-ism era of the early 00's. The auld boy accompanying Nakajima to the ring is Hisashi Shinma Inoki's right hand man during the 70's & 80's.

Stardom's Giulia appears to be WWE bound as she disbanded her Donna Del Mondo stable today who dropped the Artist of Stardom belts (Stardom's trios title) yesterday. Still holds the NJPW Strong title with here next defence against Trish Adora at Battle In The Valley on the 13th.

WWE have hired Lee Fitting as Kevin Dunn's replacement who had been with ESPN for over 25 years before leaving in August. Fitting had been head of head of media & production overseeing things such as Monday NIght Football, College Gameday & the College Football Playoff.

Nah, it's funny and it's usually justified.

Most of the fans in his replies are genuinely as thick as two short planks.

Tbh this is what he's always been like, I'm sure it was confirmed he was an old school forum poster back in the day.

Edited by Lukovic
Missed something

26 minutes ago, Lukovic said:

Nah, it's funny and it's usually justified.

Most of the fans in his replies are genuinely as thick as two short planks.

Tbh this is what he's always been like, I'm sure it was confirmed he was an old school forum poster back in the day.

Engaging a fan base is fine, to be encouraged actually. 

Allowing yourself to get into absolute states for any sort of criticism or perceived disparagement coming your way is two-bit as f**k, though. Especially when you are trying (and were doing so successfully for a long enough time) to present yourself as a genuine, viable and sustainable alternative to the biggest wrestling company in the world.

Unfortunately the guy has paper-thin skin.

End of the day, WWE needs AEW about and AEW needs WWE about as competition, no matter how far off in the distance, isn't a bad thing. It's no coincidence that the overall product put out by top level wrestling companies has improved since AEW hit the scene.

56 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Engaging a fan base is fine, to be encouraged actually. 

Allowing yourself to get into absolute states for any sort of criticism or perceived disparagement coming your way is two-bit as f**k, though. Especially when you are trying (and were doing so successfully for a long enough time) to present yourself as a genuine, viable and sustainable alternative to the biggest wrestling company in the world.

Unfortunately the guy has paper-thin skin.

End of the day, WWE needs AEW about and AEW needs WWE about as competition, no matter how far off in the distance, isn't a bad thing. It's no coincidence that the overall product put out by top level wrestling companies has improved since AEW hit the scene.

When he was slating Big Swole as a bad wrestler I'd agree. Things like last night that only seem to upset people on Twitter i'd say fire in. All he did was say Jinder hasn't won all year and getting a title shot and used a Joan Collins meme to call Eric Bischoff a has been.

He gets called thin skinned, but he passes on a lot of stuff and then randomly reminds everyone he was the guy that started the DVDVR Sleaze thread.

Khan jumping on Twitter would be fine if he wasn't in the position he was in.  He's essentially Vince McMahon for AEW, and even at his most coked up and mental, Vince would never be seen to do that.  Nor is anyone else in power in WWE.  I don't think someone with that level of power acting like your average Squared Circle redditor is really that good a look for that company.  It's all a bit wee guy, particularly when WWE's usual reply is either completely ignoring it, or getting their wrestlers to laugh at them.

1 minute ago, forameus said:

Khan jumping on Twitter would be fine if he wasn't in the position he was in.  He's essentially Vince McMahon for AEW, and even at his most coked up and mental, Vince would never be seen to do that.  Nor is anyone else in power in WWE.  I don't think someone with that level of power acting like your average Squared Circle redditor is really that good a look for that company.  It's all a bit wee guy, particularly when WWE's usual reply is either completely ignoring it, or getting their wrestlers to laugh at them.

Just the Billionaire Ted skits, Kiss My Ass Club, newspaper ads begging the Time-Warner shareholders to look into Ted Turner's personal vandetta with the WWF. I'm sure he would have been an absolute saint in the social media era owning a private company.

1 hour ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

As usual, Bret was right.

What Eric was upto earlier in the day before Tony Khan gave him something to do.

image.png.bcaeb13f2b14a4ebfb1d71449721e78d.png

At least he beat Vince and all that jazz.

I enjoyed that on Twitter last night, not gonna lie. I'm all for it tbh - the more drama the better. Khan does make AEW look very small time with it but it's all a good laugh in the end. No point taking these things too seriously. 

It is quite ironic that TK has managed to effectively promote Jinder Mahal with one Twitter outburst better than WWE has done for years. I would think Jinder is secretly delighted. 

58 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Just the Billionaire Ted skits, Kiss My Ass Club, newspaper ads begging the Time-Warner shareholders to look into Ted Turner's personal vandetta with the WWF. I'm sure he would have been an absolute saint in the social media era owning a private company.

Ha!  You're absolutely right, he's got a past for it.  But it has seemed at least since AEW came to life that they've largely sat back and haven't really got involved.  Any of the involvement in "the war" seems to be more business decisions, rather than jumping on twitter to try and score points. I expect if Vince was attitude-era age in this current area of social-media, it would be an absolute massacre.  Modern WWE though doesn't seem like it works that way.