The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

I think a lot of people forget how utterly shit a lot of the attitude era actually was. It worked wonders for WWE because as was said here, it was a product of it's time.

Another thing that people but down to the PG product is the blood thing, when in truth, that'd happen if it was an adult product as well, as WWE have quite rightly taken big steps to try and make the working environment more safe. It's already a dangerous job as it is.

Attitude Era is pretty dreadful watching outside of the main stars. Hardly any of the matches ever finished cleanly either, at least on the RAWs but the main thing it had going for it was that it at least felt anarchic. There's plenty of decent action in the WWE today there's just far too much of the product so oversaturation is a problem and it's obviously overly-scripted. There's still plenty to work with though and I enjoy watching it. The Royal Rumble match this year was one of my favourite for a long time for example.

On 27/02/2018 at 19:56, Stellaboz said:

Is the Kat involved in some of that? Can remember a couple of rather cringe worthy moments with her. Although as a teen it was fantastic.

Nah the one I watched involved Stacy Keibler. What seemed like the entire crowd were doing the 'We want puppies chant and Jerry Lawler was hyperventilating 

Here's an interesting thing. WWE are holding a 50 man royal rumble called the Greatest Royal Rumble in Saudi Arabia on April 27th. This BETTER be on the Network.
You'd think they would but they seem to have stopped doing network specials. This match would be fascinating and exhausting to watch, wouldn't want to be the ironman in that one.

If they add a stipulation on it, like, title shot at SummerSlam then put it on the Network. If there’s no more to it than a massive big match for the Saudi’s then I’m not particularly interested.

Edited by Christophe

I presume they'll split it booking-wise into a few Rumbles.  You'll probably get a couple of iron-men, one lasting until about the halfway point when they put in some transitional guys, leading up to the second half.

Agree with those saying that there needs to be something on the line.  Can't see it being Summerslam, as you'd be waiting almost 4 months to cash that in.  Backlash is rumoured to be where the next draft is happening - maybe something to do with that?  Should be a network show, but I'd be surprised if it is.

Wrestling historians - Question for you. I was brought up thinking Earthquake was one of the biggest names in wrestling. He was amongst my first wrestling action figures as a child, but I found out recently that he ended his career as one of the Oddities and his gimmick had an obsession for Eric Cartman. What a shit end to what I perceived to be a megastar's career. Why didn't WWF just attempt a return with the Earthquake character? It probably wouldn't have worked, but it'd have been better than that FFS.