The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

This is the first time in years (Taker aside) someone has convinced Vince to go get the rights to a song, which is a fair whack (6 figures). So Vince sees money in Punk, which is good.

Show wise - the opener was a cracker and the main Cena was carried through by Rey, good show and giving the Punk/Cena payoff at SummerSlam where Cena in all likelyhood goes over and leads to DelRio / Cena until RR. They need to add something to the midcard, it's getting stale for me. Oh, and remove the Divas.

This is the first time in years (Taker aside) someone has convinced Vince to go get the rights to a song, which is a fair whack (6 figures). So Vince sees money in Punk, which is good.

It's the same song they used on Austin's HoF video.

Show wise - the opener was a cracker and the main Cena was carried through by Rey

Absolute garbage. Rey was immense in both of his matches but Cena held up his end of the match as well.

They need to add something to the midcard, it's getting stale for me.

I hugely agree with this. Ryder should've been pushed a couple of months ago.

Tajiri wants to return to the wwe apparently.

I'd mark for that, I loved Tajiri back in the day. That buzzsaw kick was a cracking finisher. Very entertaining wee guy.

Punk's come back to soon. The crowd wasn't the greatest either

The pop when he lifted the title was superb!

I can't believe they put him on TV so soon. They better have something brilliant planned for next week.

Gutted at the 2 "re-signings". I got told off a guy at my work that they'd brought back two guys and I was dreaming of it being Batista and Jericho or something.

Cole's promo was class but they should've used it to make him a heel manager.

They missed the boat on Ryder by about 2 months. His popularity's peaked.

Really? You dreamt of it being Batista? The WWE ain't in that bad of a state.

Cole's promo was also far from class - it was at the other end of the bloody scale!

Ryder is also over-rated garbage, much like The Miz, and he even managed to look crap in a 10 second match against Michael Cole.

I do agree about it being far too early for the return of Punk though. The videos of him that've been posted on here of him at Comic Con and Indie shows could've been shown on Raw to keep the buzz going and making sure there was no danger of it being completely forgotten about (by those who aren't 'internet' fans) by the time he did return.

Edited by garymcc1874

You could've also had a couple of the midcard guys stirring up trouble with HHH, sort of agreeing with Punk in some of his points. Shit like that to keep it going on Raw without Punk coming back.

Cheers for the t-shirt info though, +1 to Shuggie. I'm going to order one now biggrin.gif

It's the same song they used on Austin's HoF video.

You can buy it for one off showings, though you need to pa extra for DVD rights etc. In this case, they've had to shell out to use it daily worldwide and at live events, that's not from me, that's from the original Big Dave (Meltzer).

Absolute garbage. Rey was immense in both of his matches but Cena held up his end of the match as well.

Don't get me wrong, i really enjoyed that match also, some of Cenas mannerisms tilt the shit out of me and defy all logic.

I hugely agree with this. Ryder should've been pushed a couple of months ago.

YES! Instead of dumping him with Cole, I want to see him start opening Raw then gradually pushed up to the midcard for a title, the way things always were done, to much success.

I'd quite like that Punk tee as well. I take it since it's American that the sizes will be bigger than ours? So maybe go a size down?

Edited by garymcc1874

I'd quite like that Punk tee as well. I take it since it's American that the sizes will be bigger than ours? So maybe go a size down?

There's a guide on their site. Small is 18" chest, I think I'm 18 inches tight so I'll probably get a M or L.

I can't believe they put him on TV so soon. They better have something brilliant planned for next week.

Gutted at the 2 "re-signings". I got told off a guy at my work that they'd brought back two guys and I was dreaming of it being Batista and Jericho or something.

Cole's promo was class but they should've used it to make him a heel manager.

They missed the boat on Ryder by about 2 months. His popularity's peaked.

Hes been put on way too soon. It could potentially ruin the angle, and i really hope they don't f**k it up.

I was also gutted at the re-signings. JR, as brilliant as he was, is past it. Same with Lawler.

JoMo is shite and no-one cares. Even when hes brawling with a guy it looks like ballet.

Coles promo wasn't that good IMO but his entrance was brilliant.

Completely agree about Ryder. The crowd weren't really feeling him.

Is that not all done on title reigns and results? Since Miz was the WWE Champion for ages during the last year then he'll be high on it.

The complete list hasn't been anounced he I don't think as I saw this provisional top 10 just now:

1. Miz

2. Edge

3. R-Truth

4. Sin Cara

5. John Cena

6. Kurt Angle

7. Sting

8. Kofi

9. Randy

10. Sheamus

The only certainty is The Miz is number 1. They front cover with him on it has already been revealed.

I really would piss my pants laughin if Edge, R-Truth, Sin Cara, Angle or Sting really are in the top 10, for that reason, I'm guessing this list isn't legit. No Punk, Richards, Edwards etc.:lol:

The criteria really is shrouded in mystery. There's no specific criteria. Usually the get the top 20 guys right, not necessarily in the right order....but the other 480 just seem to be drawn out a hat at random or some such.

R-Truth and Sin Cara being in it makes no sense. Sting has won the TNA title twice in the past couple of months, but it still is a stupid list.

Like I said it's probably a fake.....it has to be.

I reckon Cena and Punk have to be in the top 5 somewhere. I actually think R-Truth will get a top 10 spot on the list.

Like I said it's probably a fake.....it has to be.

I reckon Cena and Punk have to be in the top 5 somewhere. I actually think R-Truth will get a top 10 spot on the list.

Thing is PWI500 is shit. If you want a genuine analysis of someones wrestling ability and not just a worked list (for the majority of it) then the wrestling Observer annuals are worth it. More categories than you can shake a stick at.

ALL lists are crao, The Observer one included.

Once you head further down the lists, it gets even more hilarious. I can't wait to see some of the bizarroland placings this year.

I'm wondering why Davey Richards would be in a kayfabed list when you consider his win-loss record and also the fact that even though he won the title, he's hardly defended it. One defence in Spain I think.

Really? You dreamt of it being Batista? The WWE ain't in that bad of a state.

Big Dave was the man.

Cole's promo was also far from class - it was at the other end of the bloody scale!

What was wrong with it? Seriously, what specifically was wrong with it?

I do agree about it being far too early for the return of Punk though. The videos of him that've been posted on here of him at Comic Con and Indie shows could've been shown on Raw to keep the buzz going and making sure there was no danger of it being completely forgotten about (by those who aren't 'internet' fans) by the time he did return.

How would that have worked with them refusing to mention his name on screen?

I really would piss my pants laughin if Edge, R-Truth, Sin Cara, Angle or Sting really are in the top 10, for that reason, I'm guessing this list isn't legit. No Punk, Richards, Edwards etc.:lol:

Richards and Edwards :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thing is PWI500 is shit. If you want a genuine analysis of someones wrestling ability and not just a worked list (for the majority of it) then the wrestling Observer annuals are worth it. More categories than you can shake a stick at.

The Observer lists are a bit better but are still not great. For starters, Meltzer seems to think MMA and pro wrestling are the same thing.

Once you head further down the lists, it gets even more hilarious. I can't wait to see some of the bizarroland placings this year.

Is this the list where they just seem to slot in Japanese guys and Indy wrestlers in at random once you get outwith the top 50-75? It was a good laugh last year as well.