The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

I stopped watching RAW last night when Ryder got announced as Cena's partner(not because of that), just because there was so many breaks and shit, I was shattered and couldn't be arsed staying up.

In the main event, Cole called a suplex a fisherman suplex, seriously? I thought Booker T calling a spinebuster a side walk slam(was it vice versa) was bad, jeez. It's only one of Cena's repeated moves.

I hope they do the traditional Survivor Series match, the 5 on 5 elimination.

Cena, Rock, HHH, Sheamus and Punk vs Miz, Truth, Nash, Alberto Del Rio and Christian. You could probably add Orton and Rhodes in on either side as well. Although Sheamus will probably be the #1 contender for the WHC and Punk/Del Rio will be for the WWE championship.

How many times did twitter get mentioned last night though? You could make a very tough drinking game out of it.

Bunch of thoughts on RAW from last night.

* The opening promo was a bit bland but it got the point across. Kevin Nash continues to impress in his current role in WWE, and howover is Triple H? The backstage stuff only highlights the Kevin Nash madness.

* Orton/Sheamus vs. Cody/Christian: Loved the Back Body Drop from Sheamus to Cody. Did Sheamus steal a Cena move in that match btw? The one he does before the Shuffle? Real good tag team action from these four men as you'd expect. Surprised they went with the extended formula as well. ***1/4

* Santino/Ziggler: I've always liked the way Santino wrestlers. It can be overdone a bit and it is here, but he's good at what he does. Not much of a match here. N/A Mason Ryan coming out after that means that we're going to see Ziggler try and drag a good match out of him. Is he capable?

* Get the Bellas off of my fucking TV.

* Alberto Del Rio seems to have dumped a lot of the samey stuff, which means I can take his boring promos a wee bit easier. CM Punk was unfortunately not much better in this match, and it made for quite a boring promo. Johnny Ace makes things better with his p***k routine. I hope this fued picks up though.

* Natalya vs. Fox: Oh for f**k sake. Talk about shit divas. This is the worst. Dreadful stuff. Natalya couldn't do much to make her look good either. DUD

* JoMo vs. Wade: Decent little match here. Morrison is jobbing like a maniac though. Barrett is coming on quite a bit as a wrestler at the moment. **

* Michael Cole's segment with JR is rotten. They had a good thing with the stuff they did with Cole/Lawler but this one is just Cole being a dick for no apparent reason.

* Cena vs. Miz/Truth: This was not bad for a handicap match. **

* The post-match stuff with The Miz and R-Truth beating on Cena untill Ace arrives is pretty good. The obvious announcement of The Rock though? Why did they make it like a surprise? They've been pimping this out for ages.

Anyways, a so-so show.

Right, now onto the ICW full thoughts.

First off, I really hope the "WWE is shit. TNA is shit." speech doesn't make it to TV. Screams small time. Although they seemed to do the TV opening with Billy Kirkwood and the other commentators, so that might well happen.

Johnny Moss df. Bad Bones

Johnny Moss returns to ICW and makes a big splash. Bad Bones is, for anyone that doesn't know, every bit as intimidating as Johnny Moss. This match is sort of like a small digest version of what they can do. It was kinda short, but excellent. Both guys just mauled each other here and hit each other pretty hard and tossed each other around. The great thing is that it's the first match for TV, and you have two guys that look the part. First impressions are important and this delivered them.

Andy Wild df. Liam Thomson and Zack Sabre Jr. in an elimination match.

Feel kinda cheated not having the best of five final. Clearly the other fans felt the same way, but everyone got involved in the match eventually. It was hard not to. Zack Sabre Jr. impressed in probably his strongest showing this side of the border, which was helped by two very capable wrestlers. We got to see a bit of Wild/Thomson at the end of the match. The match got worse when Sabre was out, but it was still enjoyable. The stuff with Sabre involved was exceptional though.

Chris Renfrew and Kid Fite df. Red Lightning and Wolfgang

The pre-match with Adam Shame and Chris Renfrew was HOT!!! The match itself was absolutely mental which is par for the course with these four guys. The visual with the teabags coming down on top of The Gold Label was absolutely amazing. All four men just tore into each other.

Kay Lee Ray df. Carmel in the ICW Deathmatch.

Not the barbed wire madness of previous matches, but this managed to be violent in other ways. Kay Lee Ray bumped like an utter maniac in this match and was quite banged up because of it. Monkey Flip down stairs? German Suplex into an ironing board? Air Raid Crash into tacks? She really took a lot. The match was good because of that, and Carmel held her end up with some magnificent heat grabbing antics. Very good match.

STI df. The Bucky Boys, Rob Cage/Sean South and Mark Andrews/Johnny Starr in an elimination four way.

This was like those old 2002/2003 ROH scramble matches, although slowed down a wee bit, and less spectacular, which is disappointing. Mark Andrews did some spectacular stuff in there, and the STI/Buckys ending to the match was yet more brilliant stuff between the two teams. Can't wait to see how these two teams end things.

Noam Dar df. Lionheart to win the ICW Zero G Championship.

This was an amazing match with the crowd going utterly MENTAL for both men. Noam Dar is on fire at the moment. He's actually scary good right now. Lionheart as always just oozes charisma. The ending with Lionheart telling Red Lightning where to go took away from it, but it made sense, and the rest of the match made up for it.

Jack Jester df. Mikey Whiplash in a hardcore match.

The ring broke, so they had to do a match outside the ring. Whiplash has really embraced ICW in his debut, coming out looking weirder than... well... anyone. He also set upon the arm of Jester with a giant corkscrew and took an absolutely horrific bump in the seated area. Not fair to say if this was good or bad, but it was entertaining.

Team ICW df. The Gold Label in a Glasgow Street Fight.

The main event was cancelled thanks to the broken ring and we got this match, which is now, for me, the best match ever to happen in ICW. Some of the stuff in the match just defies belief. The DVD onto the non-gimmicked thick wooden table, the Bus Bomb, Renfrew being darted through a road sign, battling through Cineworld next door, Suplex into the illuminated map outside the venue, the running trashcan shot, the bigass couch being dropped right on BT Gunn's head. It was like something from the old hardcore title days, except better, and not only made the best of a bad situation, but gave us something to remember.

Best ICW show yet, and perfect for TV.

Bunch of thoughts on RAW from last night.

* The opening promo was a bit bland but it got the point across. Kevin Nash continues to impress in his current role in WWE, and howover is Triple H? The backstage stuff only highlights the Kevin Nash madness.

The problem is that during the promo he's talking about Nash being his best friend and stuff, which is breaking the kayfabe. So it just makes it null when he starts talking about how he's going to beat Nash to the point of arrest, are we really to believe that this isn't a storyline if he's broken the kayfabe already?

I have no problem with them feuding but when HHH mentions that they are best friends when the cameras are off and stuff it just makes the whole thing seem silly. Nash is amazing though, his acting when he was at the top of the stage was fantastic, real anger in his eyes.

It was a cracking brawl. All sorts of nifty stuff. I like how the Miz/Truth interference didn't mean much in the end too. It still felt like Del Rio did it himself. He looked strong as f**k. It's the first time I've really considered him as a main eventer.

I thought the reason he mentioned the friendship was so as we realised how angry he must be to want to go after him in such a way. I didn't think it was breaking kayfabe.

Not overly so(like using his real name would be) but he said stuff like "when the cameras are off" which is sorta breaking it but he still expects us to believe that they're actually hating one another. Just didn't sit right with me.

That Scott Hall doc on ESPN is heartbreaking and really difficult to watch.

I know, that fucking promoter who let him go out when he was clearly not fit to even walk is disgraceful.

You know you've done something wrong when Sean Waltman says "f**k you" to you and he's in the right tongue.gif

Anyone looking to catch ICW in January should know that 1) there's been a date change and 2) there's been a venue change.

ICW 1st Annual Square Go

Sunday January 22nd

The Classic Grand, Glasgow

Main Event

1st Annual Square Go Match ( Royal Rumble style match, except five guys come in with weapons drawn at random )

Lionheart vs. Red Lightning

Jack Jester vs. Mikey Whiplash

I imagine we'll see an official ending to Liam Thomson vs. Andy Wild or the BT Gunn vs. James Scott match we were supposed to get at the last show.

TNA Spoiler

Roode beats Storm to win Heavyweight title but hitting him with a bottle and turning heel. What a fucking shambles this company is. A good 3-6 month story destroyed in 2 weeks. Should't get hopes built up with TNA ]

bkay...

Typical reactionary bollocks from you.

TBF to him, I sighed when I read the spoiler. Obviously I'll wait till I see it to judge fully but it seems like a typical Russo writing when he thinks a heel turn is the best thing going. I mean, since last October(10/10/10) they've turned the champion heel with Hardy, Anderson, Angle and now Roode. Only Sting and Anderson the second time(maybe, I can't remember cause he's turned so many times recently) have not turned when either winning or about to win their title. It's a saturated plot "twist" in TNA now.

As I said, I'll wait and see it before commenting fully.