Livingston - all the threads merged

It's enjoyable for teams like us to have Hearts, Rangers and Hibs in our league, makes us feel a bit more important. But ultimately it would be better for Scottish football if they were in the top flight.

How would it be better for Scottish football if these clubs were in the Premiership? Certainly not on the European stage where both behaviour and results have been such an embarrassment.

How would it be better for Scottish football if these clubs were in the Premiership? Certainly not on the European stage where both behaviour and results have been such an embarrassment.

Because it would bring back the excitement factor and reputation of Scottish football. Firstly get the bigger teams back in the SPL, then we have more chance of better sponsorship. Then and only then work on bridging the gap between the bigger clubs and the smaller clubs, sort out the youth development, get attendances up again and the whole country will benefit. Scottish football has been stuck in a rut for a while now.

Edited by jacko_lfc147

Because it would bring back the excitement factor and reputation of Scottish football. Firstly get the bigger teams back in the SPL, then we have more chance of better sponsorship. Then and only then work on bridging the gap between the bigger clubs and the smaller clubs, sort out the youth development, get attendances up again and the whole country will benefit. Scottish football has been stuck in a rut for a while now.

Big teams don't have a right to be in the top division, they need to earn it the same as everyone else. If big clubs want to spend out-with their means for it all to go tits up then that's their problem, not Scottish footballs. Bridging the gap is easy, share the money more fairly, something both OF clubs are against. Attendances have improved since Rangers left the top flight (and not just the games involving Rangers). Could it be that fans like to see a bit of competition? Maybe if we had anyone with a some PR skills we would have better sponsorship, rather than telling the world the game's "in a rut" and "doomed".

Quite what excitement you get out of the OF tanking everyone each season I don't know.

Right, genuine question here. If a locked Premiership was proposed, eg 12 'big' teams teams no relegation with the (something like) the following sides would you support it?

Let's say a league like this:

Celtic

Rangers

Aberdeen

Dundee United

Dundee

Hearts

Hibernian

St Johnstone

Motherwell

Falkirk

Dunfermline

Inverness

No offence to the teams I missed out, just thought I'd add Dunfermline as an example of a big club in the diddy leagues.

Scotland has one of the best attendence rates in comparisin to population in Europe.

I have no idea where folk get the notion our game is in a 'rut'. Is it because Rangers aren't EBT'ing their way to the last 16 of the Champions League? Is it because Sky keep telling folk how good the English Prem is?

The standard up here is clearly light years behind the megabucks of down south but in terms of entertaining games Scotland wins everytime. If we employed folk who marketed and sold our game better we would be in a far stronger financial position.

Big teams don't have a right to be in the top division, they need to earn it the same as everyone else. .

Well in fairness they are earning there way back up currently. I do agree with most of your other points although these are more digs at the SFA.

As for doubting if Scottish football is in a rut or not. Are you mad? The interest level throughout the country has dropped dramatically over the last 10 years or so. Regardless if it is there fault or not or they deserve it (which they do) removing Rangers from the top flight dulled our game. We had to punish them, but it affected Scottish football as a whole.

Sharing the money better- definitely the way forward. Dropping gate prices ect.

I think it's because you support Dumbarton who have consistently been a small team, the SPL used to have Henrik Larsson and the likes in it. Reverse 10-20 years and Scottish football was far better. There's no arguing that.

Edited by jacko_lfc147

Right, genuine question here. If a locked Premiership was proposed, eg 12 'big' teams teams no relegation with the (something like) the following sides would you support it?

Let's say a league like this:

Celtic

Rangers

Aberdeen

Dundee United

Dundee

Hearts

Hibernian

St Johnstone

Motherwell

Falkirk

Dunfermline

Inverness

No offence to the teams I missed out, just thought I'd add Dunfermline as an example of a big club in the diddy leagues.

Remove Falkirk. They are currently playing well in the 2nd tier but they have always been a small club and will likely settle back towards being a small club in times to come.

Well in fairness they are earning there way back up currently. I do agree with most of your other points although these are more digs at the SFA.

As for doubting if Scottish football is in a rut or not. Are you mad? The interest level throughout the country has dropped dramatically over the last 10 years or so. Regardless if it is there fault or not or they deserve it (which they do) removing Rangers from the top flight dulled our game. We had to punish them, but it affected Scottish football as a whole.

I think it's because you support Dumbarton who have consistently been a small team, the SPL used to have Henrik Larsson and the likes in it. Reverse 10-20 years and Scottish football was far better. There's no arguing that.

They are not earning there way back up at all. They are overspending and getting loans from their directors every month just to keep them alive. They have learned nothing.

They are not earning there way back up at all. They are overspending and getting loans from their directors every month just to keep them alive. They have learned nothing.

I don't know I've not seen there books. Have you? They do get large attendances and have been getting in younger loan players so they might be doing ok. I heard Falkirk are paying Hippolyte £5000 a week though. I dunno though.

Remove Falkirk. They are currently playing well in the 2nd tier but they have always been a small club and will likely settle back towards being a small club in times to come.

That's a mere technicality, stick whichever other big(ish) club you want in there, Ross County lets say. Then would you support it? You get plenty of Old Firm/Edinburgh/Dundee derbies which the TV want, but it gives 10/12 teams in the league nothing to play for.

I don't think removing Rangers has dulled the game, in fact quite the opposite. It's given clubs like ours the chance to take points off them - I'm sure the draws with them that you achieved will have been enjoyable, we seem to always panic :( It's also given us some tremendous moments; Annan winning at Ibrox, Stirling Albion beating them at Forthbank, and of course the Alloa comeback.

Like BBPF says the technical quality isn't there, but in terms of entertainment give me Sunday's Hearts v Hibs game over AFC Bournemouth 0-2 Arsenal anytime!

I don't know I've not seen there books. Have you? They do get large attendances and have been getting in younger loan players so they might be doing ok. I heard Falkirk are paying Hippolyte £5000 a week though. I dunno though.

That's definitely not anywhere near being true by the way. Divide it by 10 and you'll be nearer the figure.

That's definitely not anywhere near being true by the way. Divide it by 10 and you'll be nearer the figure.

Yeah I agree due to the fact I totally made it up. I'm merely pointing out that we don't know what the clubs books are like. We just attend games.

I do enjoy Rangers coming to almondvale, but that's selfish.

The youth of today need to be interested in Scottish football, and for that to happen the best teams need to be in the higher divisions. Relegating Man Utd to the 3rd division isn't going to improve English football, because some young Brentford fans will get to see there team drawing with Man Utd.

You are a balloon.

Good response :lol:

If watching defensive shitfests where teams are more scared of getting beat than scoring then charge on. I'd choose to watch the Scottish football every day of the week. The likes of the Edinburgh derby is far, far more entertaining than watching Chelsea and Man Utd try and out-defend each other.

You've clearly taken in the 'best league in the world' chat like soup.

Yeah I agree due to the fact I totally made it up. I'm merely pointing out that we don't know what the clubs books are like. We just attend games.

I do enjoy Rangers coming to almondvale, but that's selfish.

The youth of today need to be interested in Scottish football, and for that to happen the best teams need to be in the higher divisions. Relegating Man Utd to the 3rd division isn't going to improve English football, because some young Brentford fans will get to see there team drawing with Man Utd.

To be fair I think most of us have a rough idea of the state of our clubs financially.

I think the whole Rangers roadshow may have actually helped attract more younger fans. I'd hazard a guess that more people in Dumbarton follow Rangers (either as a Rangers fan or as a Celtic fan) than even know what league we play in. As a result of the additional publicity of the Rangers thing a few local OF fans/unknowing football fans in general might have came along to the game and realised that watching football at a wee ground is far more pleasant than it is at Celtic Park or Ibrox. You can have a chat in the bar, a pint, get a pie and programme without needing a second mortgage and then watch some football up close, and without a bigoted background track.

By having all the 'big' teams at the top interest in the diddy teams is unlikely to grow. It's a sad fact, but most people would prefer to leave Livingston/Dumbarton/Milngavie on a bus to Glasgow than watch their local side.

I genuinely think we'll look back on the last 5 years or so as a golden period for Scottish football. Inverness and St Johnstone winning the Scottish Cup, a Ross County Hibs LC final to look forward to and the prospect of Aberdeen re-awakening as a third force. What's not to like? The lack of an OF bigotfest? Who cares!

Doncaster and co. will have everyone believing the Rangers narrative, but frankly it's not true in the slightest for everyone outside the OF teams.

Whilst we are in no way one of the biggest clubs in Scotland we're on a par with the likes of Kilmarnock , Motherwell, St Johnstone,etc. We'll always be floating between the bottom half of the top flight and the top half of the championship. At the moment we're in the championship but we'll get back in the top flight soon enough once things settle down. To say we're just a small club and will return to being a small club in future is ludicrous considering we've not been out of the top two divisions since the late 70's.

I'm not sure that I agree that crowds have gone up since Rangers got booted out the top flight. Aberdeen and Hearts apart where crowds have genuinely improved and perhaps Dundee who've just come up but the rest in the top flight are struggling. The likes of Kilmarnock and Motherwells crowds are well down on a few years ago whilst the rest are probably about the same as they've been for a while.

Good response :lol:

If watching defensive shitfests where teams are more scared of getting beat than scoring then charge on. I'd choose to watch the Scottish football every day of the week. The likes of the Edinburgh derby is far, far more entertaining than watching Chelsea and Man Utd try and out-defend each other.

You've clearly taken in the 'best league in the world' chat like soup.

It's football. You get good games and bad games. On average I'd say there have been more entertaining games in England than Scotland. The best example is looking at the best goals scored each week. Lucky if the SPL goal of the season is better than any candidates for goal of the week in England. Your using Chelsea as an example who are known for being boring. That's like me saying I'd rather watch Arsenal vs Man City than Kilmarnock vs Hamilton. Which I would and so would you ya balloon.

It's football. You get good games and bad games. On average I'd say there have been more entertaining games in England than Scotland. The best example is looking at the best goals scored each week. Lucky if the SPL goal of the season is better than any candidates for goal of the week in England. Your using Chelsea as an example who are known for being boring. That's like me saying I'd rather watch Arsenal vs Man City than Kilmarnock vs Hamilton. Which I would and so would you ya balloon.

'balloon' :lol: :lol:

I support Livi because they are my local team, I've always supported them and always will. I have enjoyable weeks and terrible weeks but I keep going. You are all in the same situation. But saying Scottish football is in a healthy state and is more entertaining than English football is seriously laughable. The highest quality player in Scotland is Leigh Griffiths.

They aren't digs at the SFA at all, they're digs at the SPFL which is made up of club representatives and a media monkey they can wheel out to take the flak for their shite ideas.

How can you say Rangers leaving the top flight has dulled interest when the evidence shows that more people are going to games? Are you telling me that people are going to games when they have no interest in it?

Why don't Celtic or Rangers sign the likes of Larsson/Laudrup/Gazza any more? Because it was entirely unsustainable and led to Rangers being liquidated which in turn has obviously affected Celtic because they can't live without each. The rest of Scottish football has gotten on just fine.