Livingston - all the threads merged

The Scotsman is previewing Angelo Massone's busy day - a couple of meetings either end of the M8. I wonder if he will be driving to the meetings, or relying on public transport? The stadium rent arrears don't seem to be that much really... but not sure how much is to be invoiced on 12 May this year.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/Mass...West.5242646.jp

Massone's Livingston D-day with West Lothian council

Published Date: 07 May 2009 By Darren Johnstone LIVINGSTON chairman Angelo Massone will today meet West Lothian council for crunch talks and attempt to persuade the officials to sell the stadium to the club.

The Italian wants to gain ownership of Almondvale to push ahead with his plans for the ground. However, before the proposed sale is even broached at the all-important meeting, council leader Peter Johnston is set to grill Massone over how he intends to pay the First Division club's rent arrears, which are estimated to be over £100,000.

The outstanding monies is from Livingston's use of Almondvale during the 2007/08 campaign, a debt Massone inherited when he completed the Italian consortium's takeover from Irish businessman Pearse Flynn last summer. Council chiefs will also seek assurances that rent from this season will be paid as an invoice is expected to land on Massone's desk on 12 May.

Massone has also been invited to attend to the Scottish Football League's management committee meeting at Hampden to explain the worsening crisis at the First Division outfit.

It's thought the SFL want to speak to him face-to-face after the entire playing staff signed a letter for the football authority that outlines their concerns over the late payment of wages.

Guest Wall E
However, before the proposed sale is even broached at the all-important meeting, council leader Peter Johnston is set to grill Massone over how he intends to pay the First Division club's rent arrears, which are estimated to be over £100,000.

This years rent bill (due the middle of May) is yet to be added to the balance of last years.

Edited by Wall E

Guest strathbrock

You couldn't have been one of the invited few who looked him in the eye when he said everything was ok and believed him then! :rolleyes:

Oh ye of little faith! :lol:

You couldn't have been one of the invited few who looked him in the eye when he said everything was ok and believed him then! :rolleyes:

Oh ye of little faith! :lol:

Just like you and your "trust" clique following the Ged Nixon faith ? :lol:

Funny how nothing much was happening until he was sidelined by the Italian takeover so used you to further his ego trip. :rolleyes:

Maybe if you put your energies into helping the club instead of working against it with your mates on the council we would be in a safer position?

I just can't see how anyone from our fanbase can support this man.

I agree, compare how much livi fans sit about arguing with each other to Stirling fans doing absolutely everything they can to save their club, hundreds of volunteers, fundraising, trying to buy the club etc etc and you see just how embarrassing livi fans are in this situation.

The stirling fans have come up with a plan and every single on of their fans is trying to do something about it, while Livi fans sit on their arse arguing with each other while this man ruins their club.

Some people always say Livi aren't a real club compared to others and a franchise and their fans aren't as good as others which although i dont agree with, the way stirling have gone about it is what real football fans do, i dont see any excuses for why Livi aren't.

I agree, compare how much livi fans sit about arguing with each other to Stirling fans doing absolutely everything they can to save their club, hundreds of volunteers, fundraising, trying to buy the club etc etc and you see just how embarrassing livi fans are in this situation.

The stirling fans have come up with a plan and every single on of their fans is trying to do something about it, while Livi fans sit on their arse arguing with each other while this man ruins their club.

Some people always say Livi aren't a real club compared to others and a franchise and their fans aren't as good as others which although i dont agree with, the way stirling have gone about it is what real football fans do, i dont see any excuses for why Livi aren't.

You're right, but the thing is Livvy have ALWAYS been vulnerable to this kind of thing due the very fact they are a "franchise" club. If you analyse it enough, that has made them an appealing proposition to a certain type of ambitious businessman who fancies building a lucrative, successful football club by moulding it utterly and buying success.

It may be harsh, but there really is an artificial air about Livingston, because any success they had was not based on any real foundation of history or community involvement. They started as effectively a blank canvas for some spiv to mould his own dream out of. The fact that the bulk of their fans have taken part in this dream en masse, and for them Livvy are an SPL team who have slipped up in recent times, merely adds to the unreality of it all.

Livvy have no real history with generations of fans to create an ethos and spirit like almost all other clubs have. They are an artificial proposition fuelled by opportunists' money and (understandably) supported by a generation of fans buying into a very false dream. THAT'S why, now that it's come to the crunch, they have no idea whatsoever how to go about saving their club or even coming together as a band to protect the club that's never really been theirs in the first place.

Port-ton isn't the best example to take on anything Livi, neither are you if you believe all that pish you just wrote. :P

OK then, here's a wee exercise for you.

1) Point out everything in Port-Ton's post that is wrong and say why

2) Do the same for mine

3) Given that should take all of 50 seconds, tell us exactly why Massone is the Man, and not just the latest in a series of dodgy chancers looking to con their paying public with bullshit galore

You're right, but the thing is Livvy have ALWAYS been vulnerable to this kind of thing due the very fact they are a "franchise" club. If you analyse it enough, that has made them an appealing proposition to a certain type of ambitious businessman who fancies building a lucrative, successful football club by moulding it utterly and buying success.

It may be harsh, but there really is an artificial air about Livingston, because any success they had was not based on any real foundation of history or community involvement. They started as effectively a blank canvas for some spiv to mould his own dream out of. The fact that the bulk of their fans have taken part in this dream en masse, and for them Livvy are an SPL team who have slipped up in recent times, merely adds to the unreality of it all.

Livvy have no real history with generations of fans to create an ethos and spirit like almost all other clubs have. They are an artificial proposition fuelled by opportunists' money and (understandably) supported by a generation of fans buying into a very false dream. THAT'S why, now that it's come to the crunch, they have no idea whatsoever how to go about saving their club or even coming together as a band to protect the club that's never really been theirs in the first place.

That's either an incredibly uninformed view or complete ignorance. There may be a few deluded individuals in our support that think that but in no way do a "bulk" of our fanbase think we are an SPL club. Stop talking rubbish.

port-ton made the comparison to Stirling fans doing all they can to save the club. I don't think that's really fair as their chairman has actually said publicly that he wants to sell the club. Our chairman still apparently wants the club to progress and is still trying to get us promoted next season although we all know that won't happen unless we get a barrel load of cash for Griffiths and I do not mean £200-300k.

Thing is, Griffiths isn't a Theo Walcott.........not by a million miles. Hell, he isn't even close to McCarthy at Hamilton. Anyway, I digress. Actually, much of what is written isn't so far off the mark. Livi fans have tended to be junkies for "heroes pumping in cash because we are special". It's always been this way. You lurch from one crisis to the next, because if there isn't a McGuinness to be relieved of his millions, then income never comes close to meeting expenditure.

Now, if it's true that Massone has paid only the players he believes he doesn't want to be able to claim breach of contract (i.e., get a transfer fee), then right there is the measure of the man. I'm sure he is a plausible individual, but those who met him are starry eyed because they've just come into contact with the Hawthorne Effect. A bit of external interaction, and they'll improve their outlook to the point of suspending their normal decision making behaviours because they are flattered by and responding to external attention. They feel they are on the inside track. Are they really? Of course not.

I bet you anything you like Massone is trying to lever the stadium from the council for a pittance, or on the never never. Since your loyalty to the club exceeds your loyalty to the council, you'd happily let him get it too because ultimately, you don't care about a loss to the public purse, you just want your club to be "better" and to "move forward". It's the way some fans can be.You want to believe.

Massone is completely reliant upon nothing more than spreading a few seeds of doubt until he can have one last turn of the cards.........and if it fails, he'll blame the council.

He doesn't have the money to pay the players. He doesn't have the money to run the club. The club are spending more than they earn. The club are running up debts (again!). You really cannot run back to the well marked "administrators".

Lets say you sell Griffiths for 200k. Where will that money go? Can you tell me with any certainty? Has Massone proven to any Livingston fan that in all matters fiscal, he plays with a straight bat?

Livingston fans really do need to start fearing the worst instead of hoping for the best. Your clubs reputation has been rock bottom for a long time now. You really do need to start thinking about how to bring about change. The longer you are scared of existance without a benevolent dictator in charge, the more likely the chances of you being erased from the footballing map.

You wanted Hunter to pump in money, you wanted Keane to pump in money. You wanted Flynn to pump in money. Now you want to believe Massone will pump in money. You need to face up to what Livingston FC really are. A middle ranking first division club with a core support of about 1,000. By all means, grow, but do it organically. Stop looking for the next adrenalin rush from a millionaire who loves you.

Guest strathbrock
You lurch from one crisis to the next, ..................... Stop looking for the next adrenalin rush from a millionaire who loves you.

In my case you are preaching to the converted. There are quite a few of us but also a vociferous "starry eyed" minority who are desperate to believe.