Livingston - all the threads merged

2 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Nouble's own agency have been talking about 'assisting him in his upcoming move' so I'd say it's a given that he will leave.

If Bruce chooses to stay then fair play, just exploring options so far. If a team is willing to pay a good chunk to get him in Georgia I'd imagine he'd probably get 5x/6x the wages he's on now.

Cant argue with the - hell; if he went to Dundee United he'd probably get that.

God forbid if come the 5th of August were left with Guthrie and Goncalves as our strike force Decent strikers don't come cheap,but surely the priority had to be that we get someone suitable in to give us a hope of at least being competitive this season.As it stands unless there is change up front can see us only going one way,albeit realistically unfortunate. 

25 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Edit: Think you’re maybe stretching it a bit saying the two clubs have a good relationship. Livi basically made Ayr fork out a ridiculous sum for Mullins wages as they wouldn’t agree to a loan return in January. It’s our own fault as we should’ve walked away and left him to sit on his hands but instead made him our highest earner only for him to get injured after a few games and f**k off of to Raith in the summer 😁

I genuinely forgot all about that period :D We might get the raw end of it this time then 

Martindale's not an idiot. He knows that we've looked weak up top for almost 18 months now, and that the club is in dire need of cash. Despite our lack of goal scoring strikers, if we can sell Nouble & Anderson for 750k+ combined to ease our financial difficulties then it's a sensible decision. I don't doubt our ability to find suitable replacements for less.

Not sure about the wee no 19 trialist last night. When I first saw him I though he looked like a younger Goncalves and, when he failed to track back, I started to see more than a passing similarity. But once he warmed up he started moving all over the place; causing problems and fighting to get a shot away. Difficult to draw real conclusions from last night based on limited time on the pitch and the opposition he was up against. 

10 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

There's the cliché that you can't judge a player by Youtube footage but I think you can actually get a decent idea from it. Welch-Hayes looks very much like he's always played right back in a 4. He's defensively strong and noticeably good in the air for a full back. When he joins attacks its more about his off the ball running and he keeps his touches on the ball to a minimum. He's not much of a dribbler. So he's probably a more conservative alternative to Brandon down that right side. Jack McMillan was similar in that he wasn't really a dribbler yet did fine at right wing back for us when he played there. We even had Lamie playing as a very defensive wing back for us in the 18/19 season although he always had Dolly Menga peeling wide left ahead of him to pass to. Similar can be done with Welch-Hayes. A high wide right passing option can be made for him when he's in possession and him being more defensive potentially allows for Montaño/Penrice to bomb forward more on the left flank.

Yes; last nights game was probably not the one to judge Welch Hayes defensive abilities seeing as how there was very little in the way of attacking moves from Alloa on that side in the first half; certainly not many that required some world class tackling; more crowding and stealing the ball. 

1 hour ago, Durnford said:

Yes; last nights game was probably not the one to judge Welch Hayes defensive abilities seeing as how there was very little in the way of attacking moves from Alloa on that side in the first half; certainly not many that required some world class tackling; more crowding and stealing the ball. 

From what i've read, he isn't a ready to play for the 1st team signing, will need coaching and a bit of work done getting him up to speed. Might have to go out on loan. 

Apart from Dykes, we haven't really had a prolific goal scoring striker in the top flight this era, Anderson looks like he could be one, but has had health and injury problems, think Nouble was our top scorer with 6 or 7 goals last season, we usually spread goals around, and i'd imagine St Kelly and Brandon will be chipping in with over 5 a piece, maybe one of them even hitting double figures, but we've always had a striker/front player, running around pressing, and giving us an out ball, being a general nuisance, Bruce was excellent at giving us that. So signing a quick player with plenty energy that will score 5+ goals is what we'll need.

Then again, he might not fancy Georgia.

1 hour ago, thruthenight said:

Martindale's not an idiot. He knows that we've looked weak up top for almost 18 months now, and that the club is in dire need of cash. Despite our lack of goal scoring strikers, if we can sell Nouble & Anderson for 750k+ combined to ease our financial difficulties then it's a sensible decision. I don't doubt our ability to find suitable replacements for less.

Yep, can't see us spending any money for a replacement, it'll prob all go to wipe out our debt. Isn't really Martindale's form to splash cash on players either, and as a striker is on the list anyway, with Nouble going, he must have a few targets already. As i already posted, we don't even need a prolific striker (although it would be fantastic if we got one), we have done well enough just having a player that will do a lot of running and pressing, giving us an out ball, and helping to bring in our attacking mids, having one that can score goals is an added bonus. We even got by with Dolly up front for a spell, and he only scored 2 goals for us.

the lowest scorers in the division, losing our two top goal scorers and haven’t even cleared any of the dross out yet, on top of the capitulation since January, can’t say things are looking great. Fair play if you’re optimistic but it’s hard to see past an absolute disaster of a season incoming.

23 minutes ago, Menga Bus said:

the lowest scorers in the division, losing our two top goal scorers and haven’t even cleared any of the dross out yet, on top of the capitulation since January, can’t say things are looking great. Fair play if you’re optimistic but it’s hard to see past an absolute disaster of a season incoming.

Thought there'd been a fair stab at it:

Out: Nicky Devlin, defender (Aberdeen); Stephane Omeonga, midfielder (Bnei Sakhnin); Jack Hamilton, forward (Raith Rovers, nominal fee); Jackson Longridge, defender (Hamilton Academical); Jack Fitzwater, defender; Brian Schwake, goalkeeper; Jaze Kabia, midfielder.

Also if we get a decent amount of cash we could presumably pay Goncalves off and free even more off the wage bill.

We still have a fair bit of time until the transfer window closes; the last thing we want to do is panic and make a rash appointment which turns out to be another disappointment. Previously Martindale was saying with our reduced budget he was consigned to searching a couple of divisions below where he'd normally be looking; maybe an extra bit of cash could mean we were looking slightly up the scale.

34 minutes ago, Menga Bus said:

Another spin is losing our 2 strikers who scored about 11 goals between them shouldn't be difficult to replace. And despite being pish in defence and not great scoring goals we were at one point sitting 4th, and finished 8th. 

We really don't have to be that great to stay away from the bottom 2, just getting our defence sorted would go a long way to having a good season, imo our midfield is still decent, and will chip in with goals, as good as Nouble was entertainment wise, he only scored 6 goals, i'd settle for an energetic front player that presses defenders making it easier for our midfielders to get possession, and also gives us an out ball.

Imo St Kelly and Bradley are going to be big players for us this season, now if we lost them i'd really be panicking. 

A far harder test awaits on Monday nite at Lesser Hampden against a good QP side.

We'll see how the new signings shape up against better opposition. 

If BA is to go and possibly Nouble,DM will hav to pull another miracle out the bag .............

2 minutes ago, Dav nan Gael said:

A far harder test awaits on Monday nite at Lesser Hampden against a good QP side.

We'll see how the new signings shape up against better opposition. 

If BA is to go and possibly Nouble,DM will hav to pull another miracle out the bag .............

Yeah our defence hasn't been tested much, and we're still chopping and changing a lot of players, prob be the cup games before we see a settled side though. Devlin looks certain to be our best CB, the rest are a much of a muchness, but hopefully we manage to get a settled partnership soon. Don't even know if we're going back to a back three, or will stick with a back four. Guess QP will press us more though and put our defence to the test. 

Changing the subject temporarily - does anyone recognise the name Djibril Diani?

I was scrolling through an old squad list from 2020/21 and see he was here on a six month loan. At 6'5" I feel I should remember him but cant at all.

9 minutes ago, Durnford said:

Changing the subject temporarily - does anyone recognise the name Djibril Diani?

I was scrolling through an old squad list from 2020/21 and see he was here on a six month loan. At 6'5" I feel I should remember him but cant at all.

He was the one that joined in the COVID year we made the league cup final. Coincidentally I think he was the first EU player to come to the UK following Brexit - the issues that came with that meant he wasn't eligible to play until something like March/April which was a shame as we had an option to buy on him too. He was meant to play LWB in the final, but obviously couldn't play which was partly why Bartley played there I'm sure.

Didnt realise this about the Georgia side:

Should he make the move, the 24-year-old will get to test himself in Europe next season, with Torpedo's triumph in the Georgian Cup in 2022/23 securing qualification for the first round of the UEFA Europa Conference League

EDIT - playing Sarajevo on 13th and 20th July apparently

Edited by Durnford