Livingston - all the threads merged

1 minute ago, ATLIS said:

Weird how some people see the game in different ways. Thought the boy at RWB was pretty good and the CB stinking. CB was falling over the ball quite a bit and ended up out of position quite a few times.

We had nothing down the right wing till Brandon switched over there, the trialist was far too passive playing the ball back all the time, and wouldn't take a player on. Impressed with Brandon though, with him on the right and Montano/Penrice on the left we have a decent set up, but we'll still need another RWB signed, and that trialist isn't it.

Thought Miles Welch-Hayes played okay but seemed to seriously lack confidence and was fairly reticent about taking on a defender in an attacking position; often preferring to pass it backwards. At an age of 26 I would have expected a bit more confidence. 

There's the cliché that you can't judge a player by Youtube footage but I think you can actually get a decent idea from it. Welch-Hayes looks very much like he's always played right back in a 4. He's defensively strong and noticeably good in the air for a full back. When he joins attacks its more about his off the ball running and he keeps his touches on the ball to a minimum. He's not much of a dribbler. So he's probably a more conservative alternative to Brandon down that right side. Jack McMillan was similar in that he wasn't really a dribbler yet did fine at right wing back for us when he played there. We even had Lamie playing as a very defensive wing back for us in the 18/19 season although he always had Dolly Menga peeling wide left ahead of him to pass to. Similar can be done with Welch-Hayes. A high wide right passing option can be made for him when he's in possession and him being more defensive potentially allows for Montaño/Penrice to bomb forward more on the left flank.

49 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Wonder if we'll be sniffing about Theo Bair, just released by St Johnstone. Rarely played for them but Martindale seemed to like him before

I wondered that too...not rated by St Johnstone fans but he looks like the type of player that would fit our style

1 hour ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Hoping Martindale has a striker lined up, and he's bloody good.

Sure he will have a number of targets already given we were already looking for options in that position.

Not sure how I will feel about this until we know how much the bid was. It's a big life change for Anderson, I'm not certain he will go either.

Edited to add: Theo Bair is a wild shout given we already have Guthrie. Should be a replacement for Anderson or a completely different option as a plan b.

Edited by EdinburghLivi

5 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

I wondered that too...not rated by St Johnstone fans but he looks like the type of player that would fit our style

Dont look at his size and think hes an aggressive physical type, as hes not. If you took a foot off his height youd have the same player.

Hes seemingly not in Scotland anymore and, presumably, back in North America looking for a new club.

Woke up this morning and.... no it wasn't a dream.

I know we're in danger of overanalysing things but....

Why did DM play Anderson last night unless:

1.  He'd already promised him a game?

2. The Georgia side had put in a provisional offer but wanted to see him play before hardening it up?

3. DM had no other options (not true because there was Guthrie and the no 19 trialist on the bench)

When playing in the first half Anderson struggled a bit which I though was due to Alloa having virtually 10 players behind the ball meaning that he didn't get his customary space but it could have been a degree of eagerness to impress if he knew he was being observed?

After he scored his goal he started playing deep and leaving the front running to the no 19 trialist. This was a totally unusual position for Bruce but it did show his versatility.

Bruce is currently 24 yet he probably get paid a quarter of what he could (and should?) be on as a premiership striker. A couple of years playing in Georgia could potentially set him up for life (maybe better than eight years playing for Livingston?). However it would likely be a complete culture shock and we don't know his personal circumstances so the real danger is we assess the move on our own situation and background. At 24 your outlook is different - it could be the start of an exciting chapter in his life.

Whatever his decision he certainly has my best wishes.

Before pre season started I had been wondering why nobody was talking about trying to cash in on Anderson if possible this summer. 

Even though last season wasn't his best due to injuries etc I didn't want him to be leaving but given we were trying to offload Fitzwater and now Nouble for cash I found it odd we weren't thinking along the same lines for Anderson.

Got to think he's extremely unlikely to sign a new deal so financially selling him is a good idea and we have to hope Martindale was already looking at strikers / adding goals to the team seeing as we had the lowest goals for in the league last season.

16 minutes ago, DavideFernandezLoveChild said:

Would the boy from Ayr, Akenyemi, become a reasonable option if we cash in on Anderson? Would imagine they would be looking for similar money as to what we would be getting from the Georgian team. 

Devastated if we lose him.

We got Alan Forrest from Ayr didn't we - with a hefty sell on clause but he saw bout his contract and they (and we) got nothing.

19 minutes ago, DavideFernandezLoveChild said:

Would the boy from Ayr, Akenyemi, become a reasonable option if we cash in on Anderson? Would imagine they would be looking for similar money as to what we would be getting from the Georgian team. 

I would doubt it, not sure if anything's changed but bigger teams than us have had bids rejected for him over the past few months

You guys are in the opposite position to us right now, you’re losing all your better players and struggling to replace them, whereas we can’t get rid of players and are struggling to replace those who we’ve lost. 

Surely we can both figure this out and ensure Dundee finish bottom? 

20 minutes ago, DavideFernandezLoveChild said:

I’ve no idea what you’re getting for Anderson but we’re holding out for a fee in the region of £200K. He’s also looking to move back to England so I doubt the move would interest him. 

7 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’ve no idea what you’re getting for Anderson but we’re holding out for a fee in the region of £200K. He’s also looking to move back to England so I doubt the move would interest him. 

If we get a good chunk 500k+ for Nouble and ~300k for Bruce I genuinely think we might actually look at breaking our record transfer fee for Akinyemi. 100k + 50k incentives and 15% sell on would probably be something Ayr would think about I'd reckon. 

We would point to our track record in Nouble/Dykes/Anderson going for significant fees too. No doubt we'd end up structuring the fee in instalments as well like we did with Shamal George. 

Akinyemi seems like he fits the mould for a Martindale striker as well. We seem to have a good relationship with Ayr, giving them Mullin on loan and being generally easy to deal with. Perhaps they may also want the superstar that is Esmael Goncalves on loan too!

14 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I'd say it would be anything between 300-400k we are looking at for Anderson. May see Premiership football as a stepping stone to a move down South so perhaps not completely impossible to get a move sorted. Not many others that are in the SPFL that I would bother looking at. 

8 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

If we get a good chunk 500k+ for Nouble and ~300k for Bruce I genuinely think we might actually look at breaking our record transfer fee for Akinyemi. 100k + 50k incentives and 15% sell on would probably be something Ayr would think about I'd reckon. 

We would point to our track record in Nouble/Dykes/Anderson going for significant fees too. No doubt we'd end up structuring the fee in instalments as well like we did with Shamal George. 

Akinyemi seems like he fits the mould for a Martindale striker as well. We seem to have a good relationship with Ayr, giving them Mullin on loan and being generally easy to deal with. Perhaps they may also want the superstar that is Esmael Goncalves on loan too!

If he’d been a couple of years younger then I could’ve seen it but I think he’s at the age where he needs to be tested in England at a decent level. Plus he’s been moaning recently that he doesn’t see his family who could’ve settle in Scotland. I think you’d have to be talking OF level wages to make him ignore that as most clubs in England would match or better the offers made by clubs up here. 

Edit: Think you’re maybe stretching it a bit saying the two clubs have a good relationship. Livi basically made Ayr fork out a ridiculous sum for Mullins wages as they wouldn’t agree to a loan return in January. It’s our own fault as we should’ve walked away and left him to sit on his hands but instead made him our highest earner only for him to get injured after a few games and f**k off of to Raith in the summer 😁

Edited by D'Jaffo

3 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

I've heard of counting chickens but you've taken that to the extreme. Have we even received an offer for Nouble? Is Bruce even interested in moving to Asia Minor?

Just now, Durnford said:

I've heard of counting chickens but you've taken that to the extreme. Have we even received an offer for Nouble? Is Bruce even interested in moving to Asia Minor?

Nouble's own agency have been talking about 'assisting him in his upcoming move' so I'd say it's a given that he will leave.

If Bruce chooses to stay then fair play, just exploring options so far. If a team is willing to pay a good chunk to get him in Georgia I'd imagine he'd probably get 5x/6x the wages he's on now.