Livingston - all the threads merged

Aberdeen at home to start the league season, followed by away trips to Rangers and Hibs. A bit of a fucker of a start :lol:

I suppose we'll pretty quickly see which of the new guys can't hack it and have some time to scramble in some reinforcements if needed.

Edit: Our last 4 games before the split are Hibs (A), Celtic (H), Aberdeen (H), Hearts (A). Better hope we're in a good position before that!

Edited by LiviLion

44 minutes ago, thruthenight said:

Rough af start. We'll be expected to lose our first 3 games, and then after that then we're bottom of the league and the same apathy that arrived in February kicks in...

Fully expect the apathy to be justified before Xmas.I feel we are weaker than previous seasons starts.On the other hand we might just continue to bely the critic's.But I wouldn't bank on it.Tough times ahead I reckon🤷‍♂️.

23 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Didn't we have a similarly difficult start to last season?

Isn't it normally one of the old firm (first game)?

Probably not but I cant remember what I thought was an easy start to  the season. Normally we have a smooth start with good run in the BetFred/Viaplay/League cup but last year we failed to realise that "bounce"

2 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Didn't we have a similarly difficult start to last season?

21/22 was particularly bad. Rangers (A), Aberdeen (H), Motherwell (H), Hibs (A), Dundee (A), Celtic (H), Hearts (A).

This season marginally better but also a stinker.

2 hours ago, Durnford said:

Isn't it normally one of the old firm (first game)?

Probably not but I cant remember what I thought was an easy start to  the season. Normally we have a smooth start with good run in the BetFred/Viaplay/League cup but last year we failed to realise that "bounce"

19/20 was not bad. Motherwell (H), St. Johnstone (A), Ross County (A), St. Mirren (H), Rangers (A), Aberdeen (H) and Hamilton (A).

Could've been worse, County have both cheeks in their first 3 games. 

Good interview by Devlin, could be a massive player for us organising our defence, just hope he stays fit and doesn't get any injuries keeping him out the team. Might be just what Boyes needs to bring him on too.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

16 minutes ago, thruthenight said:

Twitter's down so I have no idea what's going on at the game. Any one any idea how the newbies are doing?

1-0 HT. Pittman scores. It won’t surprise you to know that we’ve missed a penalty too - Obileye. 

Sangare looking great so far, Devlin the same. Obileye, having a stinker. 

18 minutes ago, thruthenight said:

Twitter's down so I have no idea what's going on at the game. Any one any idea how the newbies are doing?

Sangare has impressed me so far. Has an eye for a pass and happy to get stuck into a challenge. 

Devlin has looked solid enough but defence in general looks very shaky. Obileye getting majority of the pelters but a few of his own mistakes were a result of a Kelly mistake. 

Not a big fan of the 3-4-2-1, especially if we won't have Nouble as the target man (Guthrie, your time is now)

Edited by LiviLion

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

Bradley looking phenomenal since coming on. 2-0 up Bradley getting the second. Going close another few times. 

Guthrie on, and doesn’t look completely shite actually?

Yeah for a spell we looked very last season's final few pre, and then 5 post split games, knocking it about at the back but going nowhere, until Bradley came on and actually turned with the ball and ran up the pitch with it. Immediately putting opposition players on the back foot and creating havoc in their defence.  He was a breath of fresh air when he came on.

Pitts had a good game too, scoring the first and an assist for Bradley's goal. Credit to Guthrie finally heading the ball downwards and almost scoring, forcing a good save from the QotS keeper. Both Queen's keepers had good games, as did Shamal, helping us keep a clean sheet.

Devlin and Sangare had good solid debut's. Hopefully see Hayes and the trialist on Tues against Alloa.

Obileye was pretty weak with his penalty, can we get Kelly or Bradley to start taking them now, no point having all the ones that missed pens last season trying them again. 

1 hour ago, Dav nan Gael said:

Remember it's League 1 opposition in a friendly ?

All this is,is a run oot for the players,the competitive League Cup games will tell us more of where we are at ......

Dont think anyone was confusing this with a competitive match on any level.  The formation in particularly was heavily experimental to give a number of players the opportunity to show what they're all about; there wasn't much opportunity to hide.

I don't think a competitive match would have had Sean Kelly as central defender; likewise having Montano as right wing is also being played out of position.

I was please with what Sangare seemed to have to offer; similar to Omeonga but with physical presence; likewise Devlin seemed a strong replacement for Fitzwater. I did think there seemed to be a bit of an edge with Devlin particularly in the first half where he seemed to keen to impress.

Bradley certainly was up for it but I was a little disappointed with Brandon; seemed a bit off the pace and got robbed too often.

One thing that really pleased me was to see Scott Pittman playing like his very life depended on it. This was the Pittman of old; if only he can keep it going for several games on a run.

Worried though that we do at least seem to be carrying the Penalty hoo doo into the new season.

To be fair it was a weird hybrid 3421, no wingers and Montano at RWB/RM, Penrice LWB/LB. I can't see us using it in the league but it was interesting to see. Thought De Lucas had a good game as well.

IMO Devlin looks like an upgrade on Fitzwater which I was worried we wouldn't find. Let alone like for like.