Livingston - all the threads merged

57 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Signing incoming in the next few days apparently, seems like our first lot of business is done and now 1 in 1 out after that

I'm sure I saw Aphelele Teto, the young South African forward we've been linked with, in the stands today. There's also the trialist on the bench who could be signing.

15 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

I'm sure I saw Aphelele Teto, the young South African forward we've been linked with, in the stands today. There's also the trialist on the bench who could be signing.

Aphelele Teto is a right sided winger isn't he? Not sure that's one of the positions we need to strengthen unless Bohaboula is leaving.

Don't know how true it is but someone mentioned to me that we'd had six players on trial but only one actually made the bench today

2 minutes ago, Durnford said:

Aphelele Teto is a right sided winger isn't he? Not sure that's one of the positions we need to strengthen unless Bohaboula is leaving.

Don't know how true it is but someone mentioned to me that we'd had six players on trial but only one actually made the bench today

And one was playing for QotS after Martindale recommended him to Marv.

On the game, I know it's pre season and against lower league opposition but there were some notable things worth mentioning.

Back 3 seems to suit our personnel, would like to see us stick with it this season as it seemed to get the best out of Pittman and Kelly in behind the striker. 

Stephen Kelly is pure filth and won't be with us very long

Shamal George looked so much more confident today and reminded me of how he played before he got injured. Off his line well, 2 fantastic saves and claimed high balls. His kicking was also much improved. Big season for him

Mikey Devlin looks like he could be an upgrade on Fitzwater, so calm on the ball and genuinely never shuts up at the back which seemed to help Ayo settle into the game. 

Pittman was like a new signing today. He just wasn't himself last season and I'm sure he'd admit it, but today he was everywhere and certainly seemed to enjoy playing further forward.

Sangare showed some signs of being a very good addition. Broke up the play well, not afraid to get tore into tackles and can really play. His eye for an early pass is brilliant and once he and his team mates are on the same page we should reap the rewards of that. 

4 minutes ago, Durnford said:

He can play anywhere across the front 3 I believe. Could be a backup to Anderson (or replacement if St Mirren really put their money where their mouth is) or could even slot into one of the positions behind the striker that Pittman and St Kelly played today

1 minute ago, Cptn Hooch said:

On the game, I know it's pre season and against lower league opposition but there were some notable things worth mentioning.

Back 3 seems to suit our personnel, would like to see us stick with it this season as it seemed to get the best out of Pittman and Kelly in behind the striker. 

Stephen Kelly is pure filth and won't be with us very long

Shamal George looked so much more confident today and reminded me of how he played before he got injured. Off his line well, 2 fantastic saves and claimed high balls. His kicking was also much improved. Big season for him

Mikey Devlin looks like he could be an upgrade on Fitzwater, so calm on the ball and genuinely never shuts up at the back which seemed to help Ayo settle into the game. 

Pittman was like a new signing today. He just wasn't himself last season and I'm sure he'd admit it, but today he was everywhere and certainly seemed to enjoy playing further forward.

Sangare showed some signs of being a very good addition. Broke up the play well, not afraid to get tore into tackles and can really play. His eye for an early pass is brilliant and once he and his team mates are on the same page we should reap the rewards of that. 

Just posted that on the QotS thread, best i've seen Pitts for a while, much more like his old self, getting involved more in attack.

24 minutes ago, Durnford said:

We've only really got Bahamboula at RW so we need cover there IMO

8 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Stephen Kelly and Bradley could tear some teams apart this season I reckon. Kelly showing good link up with Penrice too

But with all due respects. Without the opposition were up against today🤷‍♂️.Got to get real.Yeh,first game back.This is going to get tougher.Sorry sounding like Sherlock.But not rocket science. We will struggle against the quality the SPL will provide this season.Or i am from a different planet?..

4 minutes ago, Troy.1995 said:

But with all due respects. Without the opposition were up against today🤷‍♂️.Got to get real.Yeh,first game back.This is going to get tougher.Sorry sounding like Sherlock.But not rocket science. We will struggle against the quality the SPL will provide this season.Or i am from a different planet?..

Both young players that are developing quickly, with a good preseason behind them they should come in full of confidence

3 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Stephen Kelly and Bradley could tear some teams apart this season I reckon. Kelly showing good link up with Penrice too

Also think Anderson is more suited to playing alongside Kelly and Bradley, and we'd get the best out of him, look at those 2 games last season when Nouble was injured and they all played together, winning 2-0 against County away, and 4-2 against St Johnstone away.

11 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Also think Anderson is more suited to playing alongside Kelly and Bradley, and we'd get the best out of him, look at those 2 games last season when Nouble was injured and they all played together, winning 2-0 against County away, and 4-2 against St Johnstone away.

Yeah, I would have like to have seen Anderson in that system today with Pitts and Kelly running beyond him. I do wonder if the guys next to me were scouts watching Nouble (they were taking notes and left just after he was subbed) and perhaps Martindale was aware and trying to put him in the shop window

9 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Yeah, I would have like to have seen Anderson in that system today with Pitts and Kelly running beyond him. I do wonder if the guys next to me were scouts watching Nouble (they were taking notes and left just after he was subbed) and perhaps Martindale was aware and trying to put him in the shop window

They might've at least hung around and watched Guthrie.

7 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

They might've at least hung around and watched Guthrie.

Incidently, I thought Guthrie did well when he came on. Linked up well with the midfield runners and forced their keeper into a great save. You never know, he might kick on this season

On 01/07/2023 at 22:29, Cptn Hooch said:

Incidently, I thought Guthrie did well when he came on. Linked up well with the midfield runners and forced their keeper into a great save. You never know, he might kick on this season

He certainly had more shots on target that the entire last season and seemed to be enjoying his game. However he did have a lot more support up front than we normally have for a competitive game.

A number of players do not suit the loan striker role; Hamilton couldnt hack it on his own and I actually think Nouble is a lot less effective when Anderson is not on the pitch.

1 hour ago, Durnford said:

He certainly had more shots on target that the entire last season and seemed to be enjoying his game. However he did have a lot more support up front than we normally have for a competitive game.

A number of players do not suit the loan striker role; Hamilton couldnt hack it on his own and I actually think Nouble is a lot less effective when Anderson is not on the pitch.

Aye Anderspn buzzes about doing a lot of running and frees up Nouble to do his thing, without Anderson the opposition can just smother Nouble with defenders. 

In Guthries case, i'd like to see how he'd work out with him and Anderson up front, taking the target man role and Anderson feeding off his knock downs and flick ons.

The one in one out comment by Martindale - I assume that's particularly in reference to Goncalves and Bitsindou. As they're under contract I assume that we are committed to paying their wages until they can get another club lined up.

For Goncalves; I'm not too sure of his prospects; he's now 32 and, although his fitness has improved, he's presumably at the twilight of his career. He could probably do a job for a lower league (League 1?) side but would they be able to match his wage demands? With maybe no more than a couple of years left playing professional football he'd be unlikely to volunteer for a huge pay-cut just to keep playing.

Bitsindou is only 27 and presumably has more options.

10 minutes ago, Durnford said:

The one in one out comment by Martindale - I assume that's particularly in reference to Goncalves and Bitsindou. As they're under contract I assume that we are committed to paying their wages until they can get another club lined up.

For Goncalves; I'm not too sure of his prospects; he's now 32 and, although his fitness has improved, he's presumably at the twilight of his career. He could probably do a job for a lower league (League 1?) side but would they be able to match his wage demands? With maybe no more than a couple of years left playing professional football he'd be unlikely to volunteer for a huge pay-cut just to keep playing.

Bitsindou is only 27 and presumably has more options.

Goncalves is a strange one, he's played and scored goals at this level before, but i just don't see any chance of him doing a job for us, his first touch usually gives the ball away, has no control at all from what i've seen, and is very lazy, doesn't want to track back or do any off the ball work. At least Guthrie does some grafting and tries.