Livingston - all the threads merged

48 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Looks like Muirhead announced at 7. I’m happy with that, great signing 

Surprised to see Livi fans getting excited about this. Very inconsistent player, who I wouldn't even want and we nearly ended up in a relegation playoff. Thought you'd be aiming for a slightly higher quality of signing tbh.

2 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Surprised to see Livi fans getting excited about this. Very inconsistent player, who I wouldn't even want and we nearly ended up in a relegation playoff. Thought you'd be aiming for a slightly higher quality of signing tbh.

15 G/A in 33 for a relegation threatened side is good numbers. He'll have better players around him next season IMO. 21 G/A in 45 again is good numbers for a guy that's played at LW/CAM/ST for a full season rather than all up front.

Posted (edited)

Muirhead’s a solid signing for this level, provided he isn’t used up top himself - but if it’s an instant return to the Premiership you’re aiming for, I’d have real doubts about him going up a level.

Edited by TheGoon

2 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

Muirhead’s a solid signing for this level, provided he isn’t used up top himself - but if it’s an instant return to the Premiership you’re aiming for, I’d have real doubts about him going up a level.

Two year deal to me sounds like if we do go up, he'll get the chance to fight for his spot. Then again, if we do go up it'll be because he's contributed. At that point though, he'll have a year on his deal and if it doesn't work out from there it'll be fine.

5 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

15 G/A in 33 for a relegation threatened side is good numbers. He'll have better players around him next season IMO. 21 G/A in 45 again is good numbers for a guy that's played at LW/CAM/ST for a full season rather than all up front.

Morton were never in any danger of going down beyond about December. He's also a massive p***k, which may or may not be a good thing for you.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad this is the type of guy you're going after. It's refreshing to into a season in the Championship where there isn't an outright favourite before a ball's kicked.

Just now, Zanetti said:

Morton were never in any danger of going down beyond about December. He's also a massive p***k, which may or may not be a good thing for you.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad this is the type of guy you're going after. It's refreshing to into a season in the Championship where there isn't an outright favourite before a ball's kicked.

Personally I enjoy a bit of a p***k that annoys folk, you need one in a team to wind people up. 

I don't think we were ever coming into this with a lot of money to spend, but with the parachute payments and European solidarity payments we should be at the top end of the league for budgets. It's gonna be a cracker of a season.

Disappointed Muirhead is away. Split the support but he was brilliant on his day. If managed properly he'll do well. Our top goalscorer and grabbed a few assists too. Also hits a very good set piece and penalty which is an added bonus.

He's a bit of a p***k and likes to wind up opposition fans which I'm looking forward to next season!

13 hours ago, TheGoon said:

I imagine they'll use him like a lower league Nouble, playing off the left.

1 hour ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Nouble IS a lower league Nouble

I'm still relatively convinced you never really seen the best of Nouble tbh, particularly this season.

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm still relatively convinced you never really seen the best of Nouble tbh, particularly this season.

Not getting his move in the summer was the worst outcome for all parties really, his mentality just went fully when he didn't get the move. In reality we should've took the 500k or whatever it was Killie etc offered us

Well done to George if he's won the game for us. Probably the third worst player this season and nowhere near good enough for the outlay. If CW is correct and he's been asked to move on, it's a definitely a good thing and gives me hope that Martindale also sees the problems caused by the worst two players - Nottingham and Devlin.

George done well but the chances were poorly hit, IMO. Martindale bringing on Bradley and Mackay while we kept the same, exhausted, team on the park, was more important in your win than the keeper.

Yengi is a centre forward not a wide player. If he's leaving in the summer then this doesn't matter but if he's staying next season then build the attack around him at centre forward. Stop wasting him on the left, Martindale.

Then Sean Kelly is a left back not a centre back but I've given up on that one now.

Posted (edited)

Looking back on Martindale's use of Shinnie in the last two seasons, here's my counter factual:

Shinnie was signed as a central attacking mid when we already had Pittman established in that position. Stephen Kelly then emerged which made competition even tighter so a new role had to be found for Shinnie. While he can do a job as a wide attacking mid, he lacks the pace you ideally want for a player in that role. Matindale ended up moving Shinnie backwards (into centre mid). For me, moving him forwards (to centre forward) would've made more sense. Shinnie's main talent is his ability to apply the finishing touches to a move, either providing the final pass or shooting himself. He's a clinical and decisive player but not one who exerts a wide influence on matches. He's a moments player. So moving him to centre mid and expecting him to playmake there, Pirlo style, was the wrong idea. He should've been converted into a "false 9" instead. His first touch is excellent and he wins free kicks really well, especially when being challenged from behind, which is ideal for centre forward play. A false 9 wouldn't have made sense in all circumstances but at least in many home matches, Shinnie in the role could've been good.

Edited by Freedom Farter

14 minutes ago, Freedom Farter said:

Looking back on Martindale's use of Shinnie in the last two seasons, here's my counter factual:

Shinnie was signed as a central attacking mid when we already had Pittman established in that position. Stephen Kelly then emerged which made competition even tighter so a new role had to be found for Shinnie. While he can do a job as a wide attacking mid, he lacks the pace you ideally want for a player in that role. Matindale ended up moving Shinnie backwards (into centre mid). For me, moving him forwards (to centre forward) would've made more sense. Shinnie's main talent is his ability to apply the finishing touches to a move, either providing the final pass or shooting himself. He's a clinical and decisive player but not one who exerts a wide influence on matches. He's a moments player. So moving him to centre mid and expecting him to playmake there, Pirlo style, was the wrong idea. He should've been converted into a "false 9" instead. His first touch is excellent and he wins free kicks really well, especially when being challenged from behind, which is ideal for centre forward play. A false 9 wouldn't have made sense in all circumstances but at least in many home matches, Shinnie in the role could've been good.

He did play him as a false 9 for a while when he scored against Celtic. His touch and ability to keep the ball is akin to Stevie Lawless in him time with us. I'd like to see us keep him for next season