Livingston - all the threads merged

4 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Bradley now released.

Not a surprise tbh. 

Looked like a good prospect when he joined however his injury, and inability to shield a ball effectively, limited his impact overall

Bradley's best performances came for us in away games when the team was playing on the counter. The faster tempo and the extra space suited him. At home the surface slows things down and suits more composed players. Teams packing their defence also meant he was always playing in front of the opposition and space was at a premium, not a scenario he thrives in.

The wingerless formation in the first half of this season froze him out then after the switch to the 4-2-3-1 he only rarely got played at right mid, his best position. Martindale had a habit of bringing Bradley in out the cold, randomly putting him in the starting line up, then subbing him off at half time or even before half time once. That and shfiting him around into different roles and positions meant Bradley couldn't get any sort of momentum. He was visibly lacking confidence in his latter appearances this season.

Good player and the right decision to move on, good luck to him.

19 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

image.thumb.png.ee358aa0d6fbad7774eb5032cdc75aec.png

Sure I remember him a couple of years ago, and was impressed.Quite a few clubs were after him,bit of a coup for us.Welcome to the Lions Lewis🦁👏.

3 minutes ago, Troy.1995 said:

Sure I remember him a couple of years ago, and was impressed.Quite a few clubs were after him,bit of a coup for us.Welcome to the Lions Lewis🦁👏.

When on form he will do you a turn but more often than not he will contribute very little.

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

Definitely one of Hamilton's better players but like most wingers at this level very inconsistent. Only managed 3 assists in the championship two seasons ago and 0 goals.

2 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Delighted with this. He first caught my eye the season Hamilton were relegated from the Prem. What I put about Bradley above, Smith is sort of the opposite to that. He's not particularly fast but is very composed on the ball and happy to dribble. He's well-suited to slower tempo matches on the artificial turf.

I see the comments about inconsistency. He's only 24 so some of that might've been age-related. Hopefully he'll become a more consistent player at Livi.

18 minutes ago, Freedom Farter said:

Delighted with this. He first caught my eye the season Hamilton were relegated from the Prem. What I put about Bradley above, Smith is sort of the opposite to that. He's not particularly fast but is very composed on the ball and happy to dribble. He's well-suited to slower tempo matches on the artificial turf.

I see the comments about inconsistency. He's only 24 so some of that might've been age-related. Hopefully he'll become a more consistent player at Livi.

Aye.

smith.thumb.png.6b0e08e2c16db94160d77bf46e4a11b4.png

Just now, ATLIS said:

What do you make of our squad building so far btw @RandomGuy.

No idea really. Wingers seem direct/pacey. Defenders seem "sturdy" folk who defend first. Muirhead and Korboa seem hard working, ones who can carry the ball themselves and carry a goal threat. Not a clue about the keeper.

It probably all hinges on who makes up your spine of CB and CM (assuming Clarke and Finlayson don't partner each other at CB?), but it seems like if it all clicks you could be Livingston again.

Thats all with the caveat it seems like you're setting up for 4-3-3. It might be a disaster if galaxy brain Martindale appears and played some 3-4-3 shape with wingers on both sides as wing backs, with wide attackers in front of them.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

No idea really. Wingers seem direct/pacey. Defenders seem "sturdy" folk who defend first. Muirhead and Korboa seem hard working, ones who can carry the ball themselves and carry a goal threat. Not a clue about the keeper.

It probably all hinges on who makes up your spine of CB and CM (assuming Clarke and Finlayson don't partner each other at CB?), but it seems like if it all clicks you could be Livingston again.

Thats all with the caveat it seems like you're setting up for 4-3-3. It might be a disaster if galaxy brain Martindale appears and played some 3-4-3 shape with wingers on both sides as wing backs, with wide attackers in front of them.

From what I gather Clarke is there to play LB, Finlayson and maybe Nottingham or a new signing in at CB (Possible that Donnellan will go there too). There was an interview with Sole where he said one of the big selling points of coming here was us playing 433 with direct wingers. So hopefully that sticks for us, we've looked good in that formation. 

I'm hoping that Prior is a good GK, having played at Ligue 1 and 2 level you'd hope he's good enough for this level. Midfield is probably 2 deep and 1 further forward, likely Stephen Kelly/Lawal. Pittman and who knows who else deeper. I have a feeling we could see another 2/3 CMs in and another CB and we'd be done. 

Posted (edited)

For me, Random Guy is spot on about CB/CM.

With a 4-2-3-1; the squad is well stocked at full back, wide mid, central attacking mid, two good options for the centre forward spot and for keeper.

Centre mid has some slightly awkward fits. Trying to convert Brandon from a full back. Possibly move Pittman back from attacking mid. Lawal was an attacking mid a year ago but looked to have the attributes for centre mid. i don't know if ICT used him at CM or AM but he could be an option. Carson and Sangare are transfer listed.

The centre back cupboard is quite bare just now. Nottingham looks better at right back. So its really just Donnellan who is proven. The incoming Finlayson is a hope. 

Edited by Freedom Farter

1 minute ago, Freedom Farter said:

For me, Random Guy is spot on about CB/CM.

With a 4-2-3-1; the squad is well stocked at full back, wide mid, central attacking mid, two good options for the centre forward spot and for keeper.

Centre mid has some slightly awkward fits. Trying to convert Brandon from a full back. Possibly move Pittman back from attacking mid. Lawal was an attacking mid a year ago but looked to have the attributes for centre mid. i don't know if ICT used him at CM or AM but he could be an option. Carson and Sangare are transfer listed.

The centre back cupboard is quite bare just now. Nottingham looks better at right back. So its really just Donnellan who is proven. The incoming Finlayson is a hope. 

Very highly rated by Linfield fans, won their POTY this season.

Posted (edited)

What other areas should we be looking to make additions? At present our options (in no particular order) in each position are:

GK

Jerome Prior

Shamal George (rumours are he wants to return to England for personal reasons)

RB

Jamie Brandon

Michael Nottingham

Myles Welch-Hayes (transfer listed)

Danny Finlayson

Shaun Donnellan

CB

Michael Nottingham

Danny Finlayson

Shaun Donnellan

LB

Matthew Clarke

Christian Montano (potentially)

Sean Kelly (potentially)

Mo Sangare (transfer listed)

CM

Stephen Kelly

Jamie Brandon

Scott Pittman

Samson Lawall

David Carson

Sean Kelly (potentially)

AM

Stephen Kelly

Scott Pittman

Samson Lawall

RW

Lewis Smith

Aphelele Teto (it's going to happen)

Liam Sole

Ricky Korboa

Tete Yengi

LW

Ricky Korboa

Lewis Smith

Tete Yengi

Aphelele Teto (🤞)

ST

Robbie Muirhead 

Tete Yengi

Aphelele Teto (🤞)

Ricky Korboa

We look to have plenty of options across the front with CM and LB looking lightest. GK could be an issue if Shamal moves on

Edited by Cptn Hooch

16 hours ago, Freedom Farter said:

Bradley's best performances came for us in away games when the team was playing on the counter. The faster tempo and the extra space suited him. At home the surface slows things down and suits more composed players. Teams packing their defence also meant he was always playing in front of the opposition and space was at a premium, not a scenario he thrives in.

The wingerless formation in the first half of this season froze him out then after the switch to the 4-2-3-1 he only rarely got played at right mid, his best position. Martindale had a habit of bringing Bradley in out the cold, randomly putting him in the starting line up, then subbing him off at half time or even before half time once. That and shfiting him around into different roles and positions meant Bradley couldn't get any sort of momentum. He was visibly lacking confidence in his latter appearances this season.

Good player and the right decision to move on, good luck to him.

Any news on where Bradley might be going? Given previous links and your description of a quite packet player, I wouldn't be surprised if Imrie was interested in signing him for Morton. Injury problems would be a concern but given we've just had Jai Quitongo and his chocolate hamstrings, this guy seems like a potential upgrade. 

4 hours ago, virginton said:

Any news on where Bradley might be going? Given previous links and your description of a quite packet player, I wouldn't be surprised if Imrie was interested in signing him for Morton. Injury problems would be a concern but given we've just had Jai Quitongo and his chocolate hamstrings, this guy seems like a potential upgrade. 

Looked a real prospect when we first got him, scored some cracking goals. Might still be worth a punt to a Championship team with a decent manager that can get his confidence back up, Martindale has ruined a lot of our players this season, playing them out of position, and leaving them out the team for spells. Even Anderson was struggling getting the odd sub appearance, and never getting enough game time to do anything.

4 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

What other areas should we be looking to make additions? At present our options (in no particular order) in each position are:

GK

Jerome Prior

Shamal George (rumours are he wants to return to England for personal reasons)

RB

Jamie Brandon

Michael Nottingham

Myles Welch-Hayes (transfer listed)

Danny Finlayson

Shaun Donnellan

CB

Michael Nottingham

Danny Finlayson

Shaun Donnellan

LB

Matthew Clarke

Christian Montano (potentially)

Sean Kelly (potentially)

CM

Stephen Kelly

Jamie Brandon

Scott Pittman

Samson Lawall

David Carson

Sean Kelly (potentially)

AM

Stephen Kelly

Scott Pittman

Samson Lawall

RW

Lewis Smith

Aphelele Teto (it's going to happen)

Liam Sole

Ricky Korboa

Tete Yengi

LW

Ricky Korboa

Lewis Smith

Tete Yengi

Aphelele Teto (🤞)

ST

Robbie Muirhead 

Tete Yengi

Aphelele Teto (🤞)

Ricky Korboa

We look to have plenty of options across the front with CM and LB looking lightest. GK could be an issue if Shamal moves on

CB & CM are where we need quality/steel/grit but importantly consistent performers. No injury doubts preferably players who could play just about every game. 

What a wish list eh? 

Donnellan looked promising before the Firhill quagmire put him out for the season. Get another centre back in and make sure that Nottingham is as far away from the team as possible.

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Donnellan looked promising before the Firhill quagmire put him out for the season. Get another centre back in and make sure that Nottingham is as far away from the team as possible.

When i first saw Nottingham he looked quite promising playing as a RWB, getting down the wing and getting balls into the box, he's quite quick too. Wonder if we could keep him away from being a CB, same with Se Kelly, and we'd be ok. Playing a back four would help too.

The League cup group stages will be an ideal time for trying out our intended formation for the league, and sorting out our strongest starting XI.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER