Livingston - all the threads merged

Now, please be gentle with me, I haven't really followed the Livi situation since the summer, so I'm not on a fishing trip or anything like that, just wondering.

As has been said, there is no way that any team can pay for a full time (first division) squad in the third with attendances and such like, So are livi carrying on as normal with a benefactor(s) picking up the, what must be horrendous, bill?

Are you not a tad worrying that you're using the same business model as Gretna and that this summer will bring the same uncertainty as the previous?

We've been cutting costs since the summer so no, it's not the Gretna model.

Your costs are still exhausting your income so at this moment in time, the Gretna model is entirely in fruition. It would be the same in the Second Division as well, so I can't see anything other than a Gretnaesque finale to this whole sorry episode.

But still living well outwith your means?

I read back a few pages and "I don't care as long as the bills are getting paid" crept up, what happens when they don't?

We're in a sorry state, money's been spent for no reward, however, I do take some strange comfort that there's no more cash being thrown down the hole.

My fear is that Livi are going to rob some poor team of the championship then promptly go out of business.

But still living well outwith your means?

I read back a few pages and "I don't care as long as the bills are getting paid" crept up, what happens when they don't?

We're in a sorry state, money's been spent for no reward, however, I do take some strange comfort that there's no more cash being thrown down the hole.

My fear is that Livi are going to rob some poor team of the championship then promptly go out of business.

We were dumped in the 3rd Division with a 1st Division squad on full-time contracts a few weeks before the transfer window. Not much we could do.

What people fail to realise is the fact that a lot our squad are youngsters that have come through the system and aren't on much. In most cases they are the players whose contracts are being renewed for the season beyond (Robbie Winters the only exception). These are the players who are easily better than our team and will be sold on for a pretty penny with a competent board in charge.

The Gretna comparison is fanciful.

We were dumped in the 3rd Division with a 1st Division squad on full-time contracts a few weeks before the transfer window. Not much we could do.

What people fail to realise is the fact that a lot our squad are youngsters that have come through the system and aren't on much. In most cases they are the players whose contracts are being renewed for the season beyond (Robbie Winters the only exception). These are the players who are easily better than our team and will be sold on for a pretty penny with a competent board in charge.

:lol:

Gretna too hoovered up young players in order to reap their sell-on value. The fantasy economics are alive and kicking at Almondvale, fresh from rehab in whatever pub league Gretna 2008 are milling around in.

Erm, Clyde were relegated to the Second Division, so promptly let all players on decent contracts leave, mutually. Why did Livi not try this? Because they want to acrue massive debts trying to get to the sea-side league where they will acrue even further debts in a bid to get to the First Division, ad nauseam...

400K debt to the point of February is absolutely scandalous and should not be allowed to happen. How much will it be by the end of the season or in the Second Division? There's only one outcome here and if you all want to bury your heads in the sand for the 88th time, then feel free. Hopefully once the shite hits the fan, we can all call it a day and bring in an honest club, willing to make their way in the leagues with a degree of prudency and judicious realism.

We can only hope.

The last time you went tits up did you not just cancel players contracts??

What would be done with the reaped rewards?

Any sold players would have to be replaced and if Livi are a couple of divisions up by then young players playing for next to nothing won't cut it. Would anyone currently putting money into the club want a return on their investment?

:lol:

Gretna too hoovered up young players in order to reap their sell-on value.

That's good because we haven't hoovered any of the players up, they've come through the system from young ages.

Gretna comparison is fanciful.

Edited by EdinburghLivi

What would be done with the reaped rewards?

Any sold players would have to be replaced and if Livi are a couple of divisions up by then young players playing for next to nothing won't cut it. Would anyone currently putting money into the club want a return on their investment?

Cover a fair bit of the costs, that's the idea.

Hopefully new young players would come through who are capable of the step-up, I'd have my doubts that a lot the players couldn't cut it after they've had a few years experience.

Edited by EdinburghLivi

Gretna comparison is fanciful.

Living out-with means in Third Division? - Check

Terrible fan-base? - Check

Massive debts being accumulated without reservation? - Check

Relying on money man/men to keep club afloat? - Check

Full-time in Third Division? - Check

Terrible decision-making? - Check

Being hypnotised by "Living The Dream" in a bid to run up the leagues? - Check

The Gretna model is in full swing - FC Livingston Lions - Coming to a pub league near you.

Edited by Classy JL

Hopefully new young players would come through who are capable of the step-up, I'd have my doubts that a lot the players couldn't cut it after they've had a few years experience.

You've used the word "fanciful" a few times, thinking that you can keep attracting and spitting out quality young players for ever is just that. If Livi want to climb the divisions they cannot sell players, cover costs and put a competitive team out on the park.

Living out-with means in Third Division? - Check

Terrible fan-base? - Check

Massive debts being accumulated without reservation? - Check

Relying on money man/men to keep club afloat? - Check

Full-time in Third Division? - Check

Terrible decision-making? - Check

Being Hypnotised by Living The Dream in a bid to run up the leagues? - Check

The Gretna model is in full swing - FC Livingston Lions - Coming to a pub league near you.

Classy JL (w****r) - check

You've used the word "fanciful" a few times, thinking that you can keep attracting and spitting out quality young players for ever is just that. If Livi want to climb the divisions they cannot sell players, cover costs and put a competitive team out on the park.

We've done it for most of our existence, I've got no problem believing it will continue for a considerable while.

Yep, the quality of the youngsters has been good.

And how much have you made from them all? Griffiths/Dorrans/Davidson/McPake... Not as much as we made from one player in Kevin McDonald. Shame that. You can bleed the youngsters all you want, but you have to prioritise. You're accruing too much debt with the current model and it's going to lead to another stint on the life-support machine, with the result most likely being one that would give an honest club the chance to come into the SFL and run in a prudent manner.

Murray Davidson (and Dave MacKay) £50,000. That didnae cover yer costs for very long.. A Month?? And Gypo boy?? £150,000...3 months.. The market is very subdued these days.. And the bigger clubs aint gonna spend any large wedges on 3rd or 2nd division players..Relying on selling players to survive in the lower leagues doesnae happen anymore..

Maybe Rankbadyin will forced to sell... but he might be forced to sell one of his houses as he'll get a shit load more for that than he will for any of Livis 3rd division players..

Night- nightbiggrin.gif

Only 3 league games and 1 cup game played at Almondvale since the beginning of November. Just as well we have 3 Livi-minded sugar daddies willing to pick up the tab for the next couple of wasted years in the lower divisions.