Quick Question Thread

Why are cabin lights on a plane dimmed for take off and landing during hours of darkness?

Is it not something to do with your eyes being able to adjust easier in case of evacuation, or something?

It's a safety thing anyway.

See when you are on a diet, is it ok to have a sausage supper now and again? I am really wanting one, I know I have lost a good bit this week but am worried the sausage supper will lead me down a slippery slope towards eating badly again.

See when you are on a diet, is it ok to have a sausage supper now and again? I am really wanting one, I know I have lost a good bit this week but am worried the sausage supper will lead me down a slippery slope towards eating badly again.

As long as it's a one off and you're not eating them all the time, it won't do any harm. Think of it as a reward and then leave them out for a few weeks. Once you've "been good" for a few more weeks, you can reward yourself with another one.

Don't do it.

I probably won't. I am losing weight just now to try and annoy someone - best motivation ever - so I just need to think about who I am trying to annoy and it has put me off the sausage supper :D

I think the best way to counter impulse eating of sausage suppers etc is to put the amount of calories you'll be consuming into excercise time to burn them off as it puts it into context you can understand.

E.g A sausage supper would probably require 2.5 hrs of jogging at decent pace to burn off.

Is it not something to do with your eyes being able to adjust easier in case of evacuation, or something?

It's a safety thing anyway.

That's exactly what it is. Not (as someone posted in another thread) to shift all available power for take-off, which is just the most laughable explanation I've ever read.

"If ah giv hur any moar she'll blow Captin"

Surely someone knows this? I probably know as well but I can't remember and it's bugging me.

Hello, hello, we are the Derry boys

Hello, hello, you'll know us by our noise

We're up to our knees in Arab blood, surrender or you'll die

For we are the Dundee Derry Boys

Derry of course being the nickname of the old dairy behind Dens Park :rolleyes:

Does anyone know what "G&S" means in a full blood count? I've tried searching, but as you can imagine, just typing "G&S" into Google comes up with an awful lot of nonsense results, and adding in "blood" or "blood count" leads you to loads of pages that mention it, but not what it actually means.

Does anyone know what "G&S" means in a full blood count? I've tried searching, but as you can imagine, just typing "G&S" into Google comes up with an awful lot of nonsense results, and adding in "blood" or "blood count" leads you to loads of pages that mention it, but not what it actually means.

Never mind, group and serum. :)

Is it not group and save? Whereby they anticipate that there may requirement for blood but not routinely. Blood type is identified and held pending a possible later request for blood or blood products. Usually done prior to surgical procedures. The surgeon will decide prior to surgery whether they require to group and save or crossmatch (where a specific amount of blood is typed and held in the blood bank for 24 hours for the patient)

Is it not group and save? Whereby they anticipate that there may requirement for blood but not routinely. Blood type is identified and held pending a possible later request for blood or blood products. Usually done prior to surgical procedures. The surgeon will decide prior to surgery whether they require to group and save or crossmatch (where a specific amount of blood is typed and held in the blood bank for 24 hours for the patient)

There was actually quite a few different definitions of it, save, serum and there was another one as well that I came across but can't remember what it is now. I think save is actually the one I want though because it's done for quick delivery of blood in case of emergency. I've bought the dictionary home with me this time. :lol:

Hello, hello, we are the Derry boys

Hello, hello, you'll know us by our noise

We're up to our knees in Arab blood, surrender or you'll die

For we are the Dundee Derry Boys

Derry of course being the nickname of the old dairy behind Dens Park :rolleyes:

Thank you kind sir. That's been bugging me for ages. 

I never had a problem when I was in Wales (8 or so years back). And no, Scottish money is not legal tender. Only bank of England notes are legal tender, and even then, not in Scotland. There is no legal tender in Scotland.

Wrong, the only legal tender is a £1 coin. :P

why are all these cables springing up across the surface of the road? there's always a computer thing attached to them at the side of the road. what are they trying to measure?

Number of vehicle movements.