Quick Question Thread

What do you call the wee yellow/orange tripod things with viewing device on top that you see being used on construction sites and the like, and what are they for? What does the viewer see when he looks through it?

Can't remember the name - but am fairly sure it is used to measure distances?

Guest The Phoenix

Sounds more like a birth defect rather than measuring equipment.

You owe me a tenner - I had money on that being the next post before I scrolled down. :lol:

This probably isnt the best place to post this as it may go un-noticed. Can someone post the rule that states you cant be offisde from a goal kick. Most of the muppets in my team didnt know this and started an argument.

:lol: You could tell big duncan to stand offside in your next game to prove a point, unless the referees really are as bad as you've described them :ph34r:

You owe me a tenner - I had money on that being the next post before I scrolled down. :lol:

You're just mad i got there first :P

:lol: You could tell big duncan to stand offside in your next game to prove a point, unless the referees really are as bad as you've described them :ph34r:

He would need to be on the pitch for that to happen!

What do you call the wee yellow/orange tripod things with viewing device on top that you see being used on construction sites and the like, and what are they for? What does the viewer see when he looks through it?

It's a surveyor's transit, useful for measuring angles and laying out straight lines.

Would it be rude if I didn't go to my girlfriend's big brother's wedding, but instead just went to the reception at night?

I really don't think I'd enjoy being at it all day, especially as she's a bridesmaid and that I wouldn't really be speaking to her that much during the day. Also, add that to the fact that I only know her mum and her pal out of all the people going, so I'm guessing it'd be pretty awkward with me just standing about like a p***k on my own. But then at night I could go, meet all the family and stuff and show face and just make up a shoddy excuse not to go to the actual wedding. I don't know what to do.

Guest The Phoenix

Would it be rude if I didn't go to my girlfriend's big brother's wedding, but instead just went to the reception at night?

I really don't think I'd enjoy being at it all day, especially as she's a bridesmaid and that I wouldn't really be speaking to her that much during the day. Also, add that to the fact that I only know her mum and her pal out of all the people going, so I'm guessing it'd be pretty awkward with me just standing about like a p***k on my own. But then at night I could go, meet all the family and stuff and show face and just make up a shoddy excuse not to go to the actual wedding. I don't know what to do.

You know exactly what you need to do, so don't come on here expecting sympathy from P&B'ers. ;)

Do an Alan Lithgow and pull your tadger out

Edited by Floreat Salopia

Does anyone on here know anything about the poetry of Sylvia Plath or the novels of Alasdair Gray? I'm meant to be studying them for advanced higher english but know worryingly little, and to make matters worse our teacher insists that we're to do our own learning because its to prepare us for uni etc.

Edit: long shot, I know, but im pretty desperate.

If your solution to a problem like this is to post in here then you deserve an F and you sure as f**k should not be going to university. The most important skill for uni is "blagging it", evidently your not a natural.

Why not be a pipefitter, I hear that is good, put on a few stone as well, that helps you make more money in that line of work I'm led to believe.

Does anyone on here know anything about the poetry of Sylvia Plath or the novels of Alasdair Gray? I'm meant to be studying them for advanced higher english but know worryingly little, and to make matters worse our teacher insists that we're to do our own learning because its to prepare us for uni etc.

Edit: long shot, I know, but im pretty desperate.

I did a bit of Plath poetry at school about 7 years ago or something. From memory the general themes in her poems are death/depression etc. If you google her i am sure you will get LOADS of information as she was really quite famous. You could do far worse than printing a couple of her poems off, reading up on her life a bit online and then sitting taking notes on the poems you have printed. That'd be a very decent start. I'm afraid i have no idea who Alasdair Gray is!

How often is it acceptable to cut your fingernails?

I do mine twice a week, and my mum thinks this is a bit abnormal. My nails don't grow any faster than anyone elses, I just hate having even the slightest of nail growth.

How often is it acceptable to cut your fingernails?

I do mine twice a week, and my mum thinks this is a bit abnormal. My nails don't grow any faster than anyone elses, I just hate having even the slightest of nail growth.

Thats overkill mate, ill bet you cut them too deep and they end up stinging. I cut mine usually every 2 weeks and thats that. So id calm it down

Thats overkill mate, ill bet you cut them too deep and they end up stinging. I cut mine usually every 2 weeks and thats that. So id calm it down

I see. I must have OCD or something then.

That's the nick they are in the now, having cut them earlier:

post-19168-1273162328766_thumb.jpg