Quick Question Thread

I dunno. We've never been told that food is claimable, only travel, hotels and fees.

I've done a fair few of these type of things, off to Budapest on Monday for a week actually, so if its your first one and you want any advice, feel free to message me!

You are there four nights? One evening meal in total or one per night? I don't really understand why you would phrase it as such if you get one per night but providing one evening meal in the trip is fairly bizarre surely? :blink:

If its anything like mine, I'm guessing that he is referring to the social dinner that these things usually put on, one big banquet with maybe cultural type stuff, and then the other nights you just sort yourself out. Thats the norm as far as I'm aware.

If you're in conferences all day every day then you aren't spending. If you have days off in the week you might want to tour a little. If you want a few beers at night in your own hotel best to put it on your bill unless that's not allowed. If you want a few beers and you aren't allowed to charge it to the hotel then you're going to need cash.

My conferences are absurd affairs, days spent listening and speaking, and then nights of clubbing, pubbing, 40 euro a head restaurants, and stuff like that. Generally, I'm lucky to get one night "in" during a week. Combining flights, hotels, food and drink, its not out of the ordinary for me to rack up £1000+ for a week at a conference.

I've done a fair few of these type of things, off to Budapest on Monday for a week actually, so if its your first one and you want any advice, feel free to message me!

I've been to one already, in sunny* Leeds, so I kind of know what to expect. Although that one was a "fringe" conference, in terms of what we're doing, whereas this one is the one for my field. And I've got to present on my own, which should be fun...especially since part of it will involve a software demo, and said software is currently spitting horrible error messages at me as I try to do a screencast. Fixing it should make for an interesting weekend.

*Said normally in jest, but it was in fact a bloody boiling week.

If its anything like mine, I'm guessing that he is referring to the social dinner that these things usually put on, one big banquet with maybe cultural type stuff, and then the other nights you just sort yourself out. Thats the norm as far as I'm aware.

Yes, that's what I meant.

Basically, I have to pay for three evening meals (well, it might only be two but it depends on how many people take up the option of a "farewell dinner"...the evening after the welcome one...).

I might split the difference (near enough) between what you and SD have said, and get £100 worth (which I think is around €116). As much as I'd love to use my card for everything, everywhere I go, I still prefer to have cash on me.

I'm starting to come round to the idea of the UK joining the Euro <_<

(PS: so much for a "quick" question :lol: )

Edited by The Master

I've been to one already, in sunny* Leeds, so I kind of know what to expect. Although that one was a "fringe" conference, in terms of what we're doing, whereas this one is the one for my field. And I've got to present on my own, which should be fun...especially since part of it will involve a software demo, and said software is currently spitting horrible error messages at me as I try to do a screencast. Fixing it should make for an interesting weekend.

Ooh, big conference, which one?

My one is relatively wee (its not the biggest in its field), but I leave 3am Monday present on Tuesday morning and I haven't created the results yet, let alone written them up. Sigh. Presentation not ready, bit of food poisoning, ear infection, it can only mean I have a conference next week.

Yes, that's what I meant.

Basically, I have to pay for three evening meals (well, it might only be two but it depends on how many people take up the option of a "farewell dinner"...the evening after the welcome one...).

I might split the difference (near enough) between what you and SD have said, and get £100 worth (which I think is around €116). As much as I'd love to use my card for everything, everywhere I go, I still prefer to have cash on me.

I normally just grab £50 or so from the airport so that I have some cash for airport stuff, food, train fares etc. on the first day or two, and then use my bank card. If the social aspect is anything like the ones I go to, £100 won't go that far! But then, you might be less of a jakie than me.

I'm starting to come round to the idea of the UK joining the Euro <_<

I'm very pro Euro! :D

Edited to repeat, in case you haven't done it already check what you can get away with. Different Unis have different things. Mine covers me for all food, reasonable drinks with meals, hotel and flights etc. Other unis have a system though where they get a certain amount per day to spend. Its worth checking.

Edited by xbl

There's an Irish pub not too far from the main square that shows most British sporting events. I'd say that'd be your best bet. I think it's called Mbassy.

Yeah i've been in there watching Soccer Saturday. Make sure you go to Roosters after the game for your tea.

Ooh, big conference, which one?

Well, it's the biggest one in terms of the specific field - CoMputational Models of Argument (COMMA - hence the capitalisation on the 'M').

But it's nowhere near the size of IJCAI, ECAI or AAMAS.

Well, it's the biggest one in terms of the specific field - CoMputational Models of Argument (COMMA - hence the capitalisation on the 'M').

But it's nowhere near the size of IJCAI, ECAI or AAMAS.

Ah, you're in a very different field to me then!

News today that over one million UK taxpayers will have to pay back around £1500 in unpaid taxes next year,due to an error in calculations by the IR.

Since the UK taxpayers bailed out the banks,who are now making huge profits,why don't the government simply make them pay back the deficit to the IR?

What is everyones' opinions on having a f**k buddy who is one of your friends?

If he's up for it then why not? Ho ho ho. :rolleyes:

Seriously, batter in. If it gets awkward, it gets awkward. Who cares? At the end of the day you've had sex on tap and with someone you probably trust not to have some cock shrivelling disease.