Quick Question Thread

My question; Is a Nintendo Wii worth it, or would a 360 be better?

I have enough money in my bank account to purchase one a pre-owned Wii and a good few games, and I'm unsure whether I want to buy it. The only consoles I own are a PS2, a Nintendo DS and a Gameboy Color. :lol:

I don't want a PS3 'cause I don't have that much money, and the only X-Box 360 I would be able to get is a pre-owned arcade one, which is apparently very susceptible to breakdowns and not very good, but there are probably more games that I would play on that.

1 thing to bear in mind with the xbox is unlike the ps3 the online gaming is not free, so where the xbox seems cheaper after a couple of years the prices balance out. If you are buying a second hand console also be wary of the red ring of death (RROD) which is a very common fault in older models

A wii is a very social thing. If you have people over a lot drinking ect a wii is great. People knock them but I never play a console but a game of the wii with family and friends is great fun. The bad press tends to be from computer geeks who enjoy gaming alone IMO.

Pretty much how I see it. If you have family and friends round a lot, then get a Wii. If you would prefer to play online and generally on your own, then I would recommend you get one of the other consoles instead.

i was just wondering if anyone on here actually enjoys their job, because after stating that as soon as i went back to school i felt depressed my dad said that it was a good warm up for getting a career. (my mum gave him a good telling off). :lol:

No job appeals to me in the slightest. I need reasurance.

Or i could just go and live the wild. You woudn't need any money and it would be like being on holiday all the time.:D

Edited by jojo

Id say save up and get an xbox or Ps3 . The Wii is good for about a week , then most people stop playing it unless they've maybe got friends over or something. Its just not the kind of console you get to play that often in my opinion. Usually you get a good warrenty with preowned consoles so breakdowns shouldnt be a huge problem.

1 thing to bear in mind with the xbox is unlike the ps3 the online gaming is not free, so where the xbox seems cheaper after a couple of years the prices balance out. If you are buying a second hand console also be wary of the red ring of death (RROD) which is a very common fault in older models

A wii is a very social thing. If you have people over a lot drinking ect a wii is great. People knock them but I never play a console but a game of the wii with family and friends is great fun. The bad press tends to be from computer geeks who enjoy gaming alone IMO.

Pretty much how I see it. If you have family and friends round a lot, then get a Wii. If you would prefer to play online and generally on your own, then I would recommend you get one of the other consoles instead.

Thanks for your help.

I'm not a massive fan of gaming, I just don't have anything recent. I think I'll go for the 360 though. I like whole idea of the Wii, I just wouldn't have people around often enough, and you all said, it's better with company. There are a few games that would appeal to me (Sonic, Mario, etc) but I can get most of them for the DS anyway. I want to start getting into games again though.

In HMV, there was a 360 with 60GB, and it came with two games (Red Dead Redemption and Bioshock 2 (I think)), and it was around the £109 mark. Is this a good deal? There were other amounts of GB, but the prices were a lot more, and they didn't come with any games, but I'd assume it starts at the "arcade" and then the higher the GB the better the X-Box? I think it comes with a free year of warranty anyway, so if anything were to happen, it should be all right.

Thanks for your help.

I'm not a massive fan of gaming, I just don't have anything recent. I think I'll go for the 360 though. I like whole idea of the Wii, I just wouldn't have people around often enough, and you all said, it's better with company. There are a few games that would appeal to me (Sonic, Mario, etc) but I can get most of them for the DS anyway. I want to start getting into games again though.

In HMV, there was a 360 with 60GB, and it came with two games (Red Dead Redemption and Bioshock 2 (I think)), and it was around the £109 mark. Is this a good deal? There were other amounts of GB, but the prices were a lot more, and they didn't come with any games, but I'd assume it starts at the "arcade" and then the higher the GB the better the X-Box? I think it comes with a free year of warranty anyway, so if anything were to happen, it should be all right.

If that's £109 then it's an excellent offer.

Why does my shower keep going cold after a few minutes? It starts off fine then goes lukewarm, then cold. The hot water is provided by a gas-fired combi boiler. Anyone got any suggestions to solve this problem?

I assume that you have a themostatic shower valve, if so, depending on the quality, it may be a faulty cartridge, causing the temperature to fluctuate.

Alternatively, combis do not like changes of pressure, ie. turning your shower valve temperature up and down whist in use.

There is a pressure switch at the boiler which reacts to this resulting in the pressure/temperature doing this ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~.

Bottom line is £££'s, get the boiler and shower valve checked.

Edited by Zen Archer

I assume that you have a themostatic shower valve, if so, depending on the quality, it may be a faulty cartridge, causing the temperature to fluctuate.

Alternatively, combis do not like changes of pressure, ie. turning your shower valve temperature up and down whist in use.

There is a pressure switch at the boiler which reacts to this resulting in the pressure/temperature doing this ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~.

Bottom line is £££'s, get the boiler and shower valve checked.

Cheers dude.