Quick Question Thread

My FIFA 13 game freezes when you try to play a kick off game, can I just take in the receipt to where I bought it and try to get a new disc or do I have to do something else?

Open your windows and put the heating on full blast e14482.gif

My girlfriend and I would quite like to get her folks a fancy Sky Box (one with recording / pause / rewind functionality) for their Christmas but what's the best way to go about it? They're already Sky customers but they just have the bog standard box for the moment. Would they have to apply for the upgrade or are we able to buy a box to hand over on the day?

Edit: apologies for early Xmas talk. I usually slate people doing exactly the same thing! ph34r.gif

Edited by Hedgecutter

My girlfriend and I would quite like to get her folks a fancy Sky Box (one with recording / pause / rewind functionality) for their Christmas but what's the best way to go about it? They're already Sky customers but they just have the bog standard box for the moment. Would they have to apply for the upgrade or are we able to buy a box to hand over on the day?

Edit: apologies for early Xmas talk. I usually slate people doing exactly the same thing! ph34r.gif

Handing it over wouldn't work, it would need 2 feeds from the dish to the box plus Sky used to charge a tenner a month if there was subbscribed channels involved.

If they don't subscribe, get a freesat box to do the same and feck Rupert ;)

I'm pretty sure you can buy a box on its own online. They'd just need to phone Sky to activate the Sky+ bits. I've seen the boxes on Amazon, so you can get them without going through Sky.

Edit to add: I meant to say, but wunfellaff has it covered, they'd need to add a Sky+ subscription on as well, so think carefully about whether or not they'd want that first!

Edited by Mrs M

Cheers. I don't have Sky but currently just have a Freeview box with all the functionality for nothing (other than buying the box of course). So if I had Sky, I'd need to pay a fee for the same free service I have just now? huh.gif

I presume the 'no extra cost for them' solution would be for them to have both a Sky box and a separate Fancy-Freeview one. Would that even work connection wise??? You can probably tell this isn't my area of expertise!

So if I had Sky, I'd need to pay a fee for the same free service I have just now?

No, you'd pay a fee for a different service with more channels.

Sky aren't daft enough to offer an identical package to Freeview for a price - no-one would take it out.

No, you'd pay a fee for a different service with more channels.

Sky aren't daft enough to offer an identical package to Freeview for a price - no-one would take it out.

But if her folks currently have all the Sky channels and then have to pay a fee to use the Sky+ box, surely they're effectively paying that fee for the recording functionality... the same functionality I get just now for nothing. unsure.gif

Cheers. I don't have Sky but currently just have a Freeview box with all the functionality for nothing (other than buying the box of course). So if I had Sky, I'd need to pay a fee for the same free service I have just now? huh.gif

I presume the 'no extra cost for them' solution would be for them to have both a Sky box and a separate Fancy-Freeview one. Would that even work connection wise??? You can probably tell this isn't my area of expertise!

Freeview/Freesat different........

A freesat box would work off a Sky dish with no changes, although as I said, if you require a recording one, you need a dual lnb on the dish, with 2 cables to the box.

£150 for a skip for 2 weeks, is that a good price or not? its the size of one you would normally get on a building site.

Firstly, there's a number of various sizes you'd get on a building site. Typically it used to be an uncovered 8yd skip, these days everyone is moving to a 14yd closed skip. £150 (assuming that includes delivery and uplift) is reasonable for a private hire. You'll most likely be charged a disposal rate though, and the important thing here to remember is that inert waste is considerably cheaper to dispose off than active waste. Inert = ground and rubble etc, and will be in the region of £5-10 per tonne (ex VAT). Active is anything else and will be anything from £50-100 per tonne (ex VAT). The thing to be careful with is not to mix the two, if you have a skip that has 90% inert waste in it, and you throw in a couple of TV's, wood, or anything that needs litter picked, you'll be charged the full active rate.

Hope this helps. ;)

Aye was from a company outside dundee called PYOT, Do you normally pay on the day you get the skips? This is what they want to happen

To answer this bit, it used to be standard practice to pay on completion. But when the collapse came, most companies started asking for money up-front from any private hires or "high risk" companies. It's totally up to the company, and is likely they're trying to avoid being stung, as opposed to trying to sting you.