Quick Question Thread

Normally, you go to an ATM and take out whatever you want.

Sometimes you go to an ATM and it out of order, probably cos it's out of cash.

But has anyone experienced an ATM that has either the limited the cash they can withdraw to the amount it has in it, or experienced an ATM go "out of order" after they've withdrawn their wad?

I've wondered this for over 2 decades and only just asked this for the first time.

Don't you not normally have unrestricted cash from the collection bowls from your numerous parishes? Or just sell a painting from your vast collection?

Sadly, you're mistaking me for the real Cardinal Richelieu, who died some time in the 17th century.

An easy mistake to make :)

Serious question though. Has anyone been limited in the amount that they can withdraw, or does the whole kit and caboodle shut down as soon as there's 300 notes left in it?

Edit: Normally, I'd end the post with a quip like "Peace be with you", but it seems a bit redundant here.

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

Normally, you go to an ATM and take out whatever you want.

Sometimes you go to an ATM and it out of order, probably cos it's out of cash.

But has anyone experienced an ATM that has either the limited the cash they can withdraw to the amount it has in it, or experienced an ATM go "out of order" after they've withdrawn their wad?

I've wondered this for over 2 decades and only just asked this for the first time.

Both. I had one limit withdrawals to £10 (I think) because it was running low on cash and wanted to eke the money out (I presume). I've also had one bring the 'Out of Order' message up after ejecting my card and money (along with a disconcerting metallic 'thunk' from somewhere deep in the machinery). Both were some time ago, back in the early Nineties.

I've also had an ATM seemingly crash during my transaction, thankfully before I input a withdrawal amount, and bring up the 'Out of Order' sign. I went into the branch to pick up the card at the beginning of the next week and got the 'are you sure you didn't input the wrong PIN three times? Are you sure? Are you suuuure?' lecture. Quite what bloody difference that would make, I don't know - would they have refused to give my card back if I was that thick? :huh:

On the subject of council tax, can you get the student discount as soon as you have a student card to show the council, or do you have to wait until the course starting date? Kick off date for my PhD keeps getting moved forward and I don't want to give scummy ACC one more penny than I need to.

On the subject of council tax, can you get the student discount as soon as you have a student card to show the council, or do you have to wait until the course starting date? Kick off date for my PhD keeps getting moved forward and I don't want to give scummy ACC one more penny than I need to.

What did Aberdeen Cricket Club ever do to you?

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

Get a job

right, was talking to my mates the other day about childhood memories. Was reminiscing on a daft game thing i had in my room, it was basically a wee goal thing that you stuck to your wall that had a keeper attached to it, came with a tiny wee foam football and you had to try and score, pretty sure michael owen was in the adverts for it. Was great fun when i was younger, and i'm sure I spent hours battering a ball off my bedroom wall, but I can't remember the name of it.

Anyone know what i'm on about?