Quick Question Thread

A quick check around ISA rates and MArtin's money tips says that indeed you are as well just letting the money sit in your current account at the moment.

Mortgage overpayments?

It is all down to how you feel about accessing your cash. The sensible thing is definitely mortgage overpayments, but that will make your money practically inaccessible, whereas continuing with the savings account will mean you can get your cash should you need it. 

Also, there's always the stock portfolio option. It's easy enough to set up (for example) a stocks and shares ISA. I doubt you'd get more than 3% out of them though TBH.

A quick check around ISA rates and MArtin's money tips says that indeed you are as well just letting the money sit in your current account at the moment.

Mortgage overpayments?

As somebody else said, depends on how accessible you want the money to be. Go for mortgage overpaying and the money is gone effectively.

If you have any credit card debt, or other loans, maybe use the money to pay them off if the interest being charged is above 3% as you will end up better off - this includes your mortgage but same caveat applies-go down this route and the money is gone.

The Santander 123 is pretty good at 3% but only on 3k to 20k and min.balance 1k and the £5 fee and £500 monthly min.deposit.

As somebody else said, depends on how accessible you want the money to be. Go for mortgage overpaying and the money is gone effectively.

If you have any credit card debt, or other loans, maybe use the money to pay them off if the interest being charged is above 3% as you will end up better off - this includes your mortgage but same caveat applies-go down this route and the money is gone.

The Santander 123 is pretty good at 3% but only on 3k to 20k and min.balance 1k and the £5 fee and £500 monthly min.deposit.

You have to have over 3K in to get 3% but you get it on whole balance if you do.

Santander 123 although there is a £5 a month account fee.

Stick your supermarket shopping and the fuel on the 123 credit card and you'll have your money back fine. :)

Only stupid cnuts like me put it on the debit card out of habit. :(

We got our annual bonus announced to us today, a healthy percentage which was bigger than most expected.  This year, though, the work had added in this attendance thing basically meaning that if you had a certain amount of days off sick then the percentage of the bonus you receive would be less (and it would increase depending on how long you were off for). Now, one of my colleagues was off roughly 9 months in the last year on maternity leave and she was informed today that she would only receive 21% of the bonus that was promised to everyone.  I find this a bit fucking shite, as does anyone else in the office.  

My question is (and I think I know the answer), is this legal?  Seems a bit unfair that she's being so heavily punished for having a child and it may cause others to think about having a kid if they might lose out so much financially.  Also, given that the work had temporarily employed someone else to cover her work while she was off (who won't receive a penny of this bonus) it seems to me that the work are just pocketing this.