Quick Question Thread

I have a Finance exam in a few hours and have a question relating to this subject, and the fact that I'm honking at maths. I'm fairly sure I have the answer myself but really need somebody who isn't a numerical retard to tell me their answer and hope it confirms mine. My coursework counts for 40% of the overall grade, with the test tommorow counting for the rest. The coursework is broken up like this:

Series of multiple choice tests where your average grade counts for 20% of the course - I averaged 74%.

Another test which counts for 10% of the course - I got an amazing 30%.

A final test which counts for 10% of the course as well - I got 0% as I didn't turn up.

So, what is my average score for the coursework which will make up 40% of my mark? I know it's ridiculous that somebody studying finance would even need to double check but I never asked to do this god forsaken subject and fingers crossed I can get the bare pass I need to never do it again and concentrate on the things I'm not a total eejit at.

P.S I have it down as an overall score of 44.5% for coursework but would very much appreciate if somebody could confirm this or correct me.

Your course is made up of four items: the multiple choice test (20%), the second test (10%), the third test (10%) and the exam (60%).

If you got 74% for the first test, then you have effectively got 74% of 20%, which is 14.8%.

If you got 30% for the second test, then you have effectively got 30% of 10%, which is 3%.

If you didn't turn up for the third test, then you have effectively got 0% of 10%, which is 0%.

Overall for your course so far you have got 17.8% out of a possible 40%. So you're right, you have got 44.5% of 40%.

A common slang term is quid (singular and plural) which is thought to derive from the Latin phrase "quid pro quo".[citation needed]

Citation needed being the bit of that statement to notice. It looks like there isn't any concrete answer, some more suggestions are listed here.

I like the second last answer :lol:

Edited by Breaking Decency

Why is it when you have plenty beers you stop drinking, but when you have finished what you have ,you want more?

Please note, still drinking, still have beer.

Last week this occured to me

Say you've a person right. Fair intellectual capacity. Fair qualifications. Fit to take a plethora of routes into what would be further education. Or any sort of skills furtherance programme(s). But that person's attitude is that... he/she does not desire so much as a scintilla of additional, formal training in any discipline. Or doesn't wish to absorb any more technical information in a particular field.

Simply doesn't wish to... Not for any aversion to work. But for apathy, despise of learning environments and the company to keep. I suppose the crux is... Is there anything intrinsically wrong with unambition - particularly in the case of a person whom could almost certainly achieve something more materialistic? If you want to look at it that way.

Unskilled work. A preference for that. A preference for... turning a modest coin. Having a less than lavish lifestyle. Adequacy over affluence.

It's all a bit deep I suppose and hardly 'quick', but I was rather taken aback by the frowns cast elsewhere. Personally, I see nothing inherently bad about it. And I tend to think those who do base their assertions on irrationality; instilled faith, moral compass rubbish.

Well, I share your philosophy, Lyn-Marie. Least as concerns employment. There seems to be a diversity of opinion on the subject however.

If I was the parent of the person,I would feel let down.not to at least try and fulfil your potential is a letdown to yourself and your family.

Is it wrong to be on your 5th cup of coffe in under 3 hrs?

Yes. Look at the weather! Get the beers open mad.gif

QQ; how is it you work out degrees C from degrees F? Me and 2 mates yesterday completely forgot, and his thermomoter read 87F. Some of our equations were working out at 114 degrees C. :lol: