Quick Question Thread

3 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I’m struggling to fathom why any sane person would ever pay for mortgage advisor rather than using a free broker unless there’s something I’m missing.

I suppose some might think if they are paying for advice it's more likely to be impartial as the provider doesn't need to think about recommending something that will give them commission

4 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I’m struggling to fathom why any sane person would ever pay for mortgage advisor rather than using a free broker unless there’s something I’m missing.

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I suppose some might think if they are paying for advice it's more likely to be impartial as the provider doesn't need to think about recommending something that will give them commission

The consumer probably ends up paying the same anyway. Eg pay the advisor and get a fractionally better deal. Pay "nothing" to one of these brokers and the mortgage company charges a fraction more and kicks it back to the broker. 

23 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

The consumer probably ends up paying the same anyway. Eg pay the advisor and get a fractionally better deal. Pay "nothing" to one of these brokers and the mortgage company charges a fraction more and kicks it back to the broker. 

No doubt - but the consumer probably isn't aware of that and feels more confident they aren't getting ripped off when paying for advice

Home report definitely had a section that said the heating/plumbing system was in working condition, although I cant remember the wording of it off hand.
Within hours of getting the keys it had started switching itself off. The plumber said straight away it wasnt repairable, he told us it was too old and the parts required simply weren't available for it anymore, he was talking about the whole system being over 30 years old.
We knew we'd need it either way so went for the cheaper option, we also incurred further costs as the pipes were seemingly too small a diameter (they were genuinely tiny things), but were aware we couldn't claim for that.
The solicitor is self employed and works on his own. We contacted him within days and he said he'd put a claim straight in, we didn't hear anything and then he started claiming he'd have to try and get money off the estate as the seller had now died, this was around 6 months later. During those 6 months my partner repeatedly tried to contact him and just got ignored, as our house was getting ripped apart to put in a new heating system.
Since then we've been totally unable to get in contact with him. We've given him written, through email, warning that if he doesnt reply we'll be going to another solicitor. That was 2 weeks ago without reply. We've phoned him 3 times a week, his receptionist says he isnt in but he'll phone right back, but theres never ever response. Ask to make an appointment and she claims it would have to be 2 months in advance, its then cancelled a few days before and pushed back another 2 months.
I have a feeling the advice I'll get is it's been left to late, but either way I need to find out how to finish the whole situation as it's been hanging over us for years now, my partner flat out refuses to be involved due to the stress and anxiety the whole situation put on her.
We have emails that confirm us telling him about the fault and him confirming he put in a claim, within days of the house purchase. It took us two days after we discovered the problem to actually get a response.

Surveyors don’t test heating in Home Reports. They’re valuers not gas engineers. Read the small print. You’ve a week to get the heating checked when you move in. A fault found and the seller pays for the works. If the boiler is clearly old it should’ve been a repair Cat 2 in the report. You may have a complaint in that regard.

8 hours ago, Daydream said:

Surveyors don’t test heating in Home Reports. They’re valuers not gas engineers. Read the small print. You’ve a week to get the heating checked when you move in. A fault found and the seller pays for the works. If the boiler is clearly old it should’ve been a repair Cat 2 in the report. You may have a complaint in that regard.

Yeah we got the heating checked, due to the breakdown, within days of moving in.

Got a phone meeting with a solicitor on Wednesday, getting a hold of any of them is a nightmare.

6 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

When are the Scottish fixtures out?

JUNE 2019                                              21 Fixtures published for 2019/20 

https://spfl.co.uk/pages/key-dates