Quick Question Thread

11 minutes ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

As in the cold air will leak out of the fridge or some kind of noxious gas will leak into it?

As long as it stays cool that's fine as it's not the freezer section so we don't actually want it freezing up.

It's gas that's been used as a coolant as far as I know there are a range of different ones to the not great to breath in to the dangerous to breath in. I would get an engineer out as depending on how deep the hole is you might be lucky and not have punctured deep enough to cause a leak. Also look at the manual and see what coolant gas is being used and then I guess it's you're call about powering it on again, I probably wouldn't until the engineer has been round. More fridges will keep things cold provided you keep the door closed for like 24 hours.

4 hours ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

I was clearing out the ice from the top shelf of the fridge freezer there and I've put a steak knife through the ceiling at the top of the fridge compartment multiple times. Is this going to be an issue when switched back on?

If it is an old fridge then it will leak that gas that depletes the ozone layer.  Over a period of time, your part of the world will become uninhabitable and everybody will blame you.

Then again I have been known to exaggerate from time to time.

4 hours ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

I was clearing out the ice from the top shelf of the fridge freezer there and I've put a steak knife through the ceiling at the top of the fridge compartment multiple times. Is this going to be an issue when switched back on?

You've probably fucked it. The freezer bit won't be keeping anything freezing anymore.

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

You've probably fucked it. The freezer bit won't be keeping anything freezing anymore.

Even though it's one of those big double deckers, like a full size freezer and then a separate full size fridge, and it's only the fridge portion that's been hacked apart?

17 minutes ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Even though it's one of those big double deckers, like a full size freezer and then a separate full size fridge, and it's only the fridge portion that's been hacked apart?

Ah, didn't read your post properly there.

You've most likely fucked the fridge then. Not necessarily though, so give it a spin and see what happens.

Is it normal to attack your fridge with a big knife, to the point that you puncture the internal structure, which seems like it would be quite solid and dense? Just curious, as everyone seems to have taken it in their stride. It's not like it was the freezer portion; I think we'd all know what was going on if that had happened.

Personally, I remove ice from my cold storage with a blowtorch. It's the only way to be sure.

3 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Is it normal to attack your fridge with a big knife, to the point that you puncture the internal structure, which seems like it would be quite solid and dense? Just curious, as everyone seems to have taken it in their stride. It's not like it was the freezer portion; I think we'd all know what was going on if that had happened.

Personally, I remove ice from my cold storage with a blowtorch. It's the only way to be sure.

I used to do it before we had the new fangled frost free things.  It's necessary to go at it with a fair degree of violence so I'm not surprised to hear somebody's done a bit of damage.

I'd just stick a bit of duct tape over the holes.   

13 hours ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

You’d hear and smell the deadly gasses inside if you’d punctured right into there. Probably be fine. Use a rolling pin or crowbar in future. 

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

I'm wondering how he managed to do it 'multiple times'. You'd think he would have stopped after the first time.

8 hours ago, hk blues said:

I used to do it before we had the new fangled frost free things.  It's necessary to go at it with a fair degree of violence so I'm not surprised to hear somebody's done a bit of damage.

I'd just stick a bit of duct tape over the holes.   

Is it normal to have that much of an ice build-up on fridges? I've only ever had a small film at the back, which is normally an indicator that I need to turn it down a tad.

For the fridge and freezer, I tend to just run the contents down for a couple of weeks, then turn it off for a day before the big shop and let it all melt. Stick a bit of tarpaulin in the bottom and let it drain into a container, and empty as necessary. Could do with giving it a go now, actually, but I'm waiting for the warmer weather.

God, I even bored myself with that.

6 hours ago, GordonD said:

I'm wondering how he managed to do it 'multiple times'. You'd think he would have stopped after the first time.

It had been a very, very bad fridge.

Presumably the ice was so thick that he was stabbing away at it and didn't realise he'd pierced through. Which, again, I've never had a fridge that accumulated that much ice.

Can you f**k off a previous employer who gets in touch to say they overpaid you on your last wage?

My understanding g was alwyas that when a mistake was made, you were within your rights to tell them to GTF legally. Obviously with your current employer that may not end well, but does anyone know the actual legal position of this?

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Can you f**k off a previous employer who gets in touch to say they overpaid you on your last wage?

My understanding g was alwyas that when a mistake was made, you were within your rights to tell them to GTF legally. Obviously with your current employer that may not end well, but does anyone know the actual legal position of this?

Did they call and speak to you or did you receive a letter via post?