Quick Question Thread

19 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Got a funeral down the weeg zone today. Haven’t been to one in a while down these parts.  What’s the etiquette these days?

Have some cash in your pocket, there's always a charity collection at the end, and you feel a right dodgy character if you've nothing to put in the box.

Get to the purvey early, for the best choice of hot pastry treats.

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Got a funeral down the weeg zone today. Haven’t been to one in a while down these parts.  What’s the etiquette these days?

A cousin once tried to sell me dope at his Grans funeral, that was 30 years ago mind.

I live on a street of tenement flats with shared bins and shared permit parking the entire length. Council have shown up last couple of days and put up new barriers and added significantly more bins, replacing maybe 10-12 car parking spaces (maybe 10-15% of available parking on the street). Never really noticed an issue with bins being full tbh, and parking was a nightmare already with how busy it was. 

Should the council not inform people who are paying them for parking permits that the spaces available are going to be reduced?

3 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I live on a street of tenement flats with shared bins and shared permit parking the entire length. Council have shown up last couple of days and put up new barriers and added significantly more bins, replacing maybe 10-12 car parking spaces (maybe 10-15% of available parking on the street). Never really noticed an issue with bins being full tbh, and parking was a nightmare already with how busy it was. 

Should the council not inform people who are paying them for parking permits that the spaces available are going to be reduced?

In situation like this, obviously not. They'd rather have a fait accompli than irate council tax payers kicking up fvck.

3 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I was at a customers gaff in Morningside (edinburgh) yesterday and the lorry was there lifting motors that were in the way of the new bin locations.

Like you said, parking in that area was a mare already - fewer spaces aint helping............

2 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Edinburgh hates cars. Simple as.

It's hard to argue against that TBF.

East/West traffic in the city centre has been choked. Royal Mile, Princes Street, George Street, Queen Street all either closed in whole or in part to cars or been narrowed. To the south, on Niddrie Mains Road, there's hardly a bus lay-by to be seen, so everything gets held up at every bus stop heading west.

There's also proposals to close the road through Holyrood Park, placing more pressure on Niddrie M. R. and the junction at Jock's Lodge.

Mental.

4 hours ago, Leith Green said:

I was at a customers gaff in Morningside (edinburgh) yesterday and the lorry was there lifting motors that were in the way of the new bin locations.

Like you said, parking in that area was a mare already - fewer spaces aint helping............

Were you in my gaff?… 👀

But aye this is exactly where I’m talking about. Loads of permit spaces gone for new bins, no idea where they’re expecting the 10-12 cars to now go. Going to be crazy getting parked now as was already brutal.

Do dogs understand words or do they understand intent of what you say? 

To expand, if you said "dinner" or "walkies" in English your dog would understand it, but if you said it in, for example, Japanese or Swahil, would the dog understand what you mean?

5 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

To expand, if you said "dinner" or "walkies" in English your dog would understand it, but if you said it in, for example, Japanese or Swahil, would the dog understand what you mean?

I can say “bath time” and “walkies” with the same voice intonation and my dug knows which one can get tae fcuk. 

27 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

They don’t understand words at all, they understand sound.  If you associate a sound with an action they learn that.  It doesn’t matter if the sound is a whistle, an English word, a Swahili word or a made up jibberish sound.  I use different words/sounds to get my dogs to do the same action.  They know they only get rewarded by responding to their own sound.

If I told one of my dogs to sit in Swahili they’d probably do it while they try and figure out what it is I’m after because that’s their default position.  If I tried to get them to do anything else with an untrained sound I’d have no chance.

2 minutes ago, Left Back said:

They don’t understand words at all, they understand sound.  If you associate a sound with an action they learn that.  It doesn’t matter if the sound is a whistle, an English word, a Swahili word or a made up jibberish sound.  I use different words/sounds to get my dogs to do the same action.  They know they only get rewarded by responding to their own sound.

If I told one of my dogs to sit in Swahili they’d probably do it while they try and figure out what it is I’m after because that’s their default position.  If I tried to get them to do anything else with an untrained sound I’d have no chance.

Aye I thought that was the case.

8 hours ago, Left Back said:

If I told one of my dogs to sit in Swahili they’d probably do it while they try and figure out what it is I’m after because that’s their default position.

That's cheating.  "Sit" in Swahili is Kukaa.  They think they will get a cookie so obviously they will sit.

Not 100% sure but I think I just saw Willie Miller in the car park of Asda Kirkton in Dundee. He was de-icing his Audi (no euph).

Was it him? Is this likely?

eTA had a blond bird in the front seat. Sure he left the missus for a blond some time back.

Edited by Melanius Mullarkay

4 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Not 100% sure but I think I just saw Willie Miller in the car park of Asda Kirkton in Dundee. He was de-icing his Audi (no euph).

Was it him? Is this likely?

eTA had a blond bird in the front seat. Sure he left the missus for a blond some time back.

No, he's at Easter Road.