Quick Question Thread

18 hours ago, tamthebam said:

🧐

I used to get chips wrapped in newspaper in the 1980s - bonus cheapies for a young lad if it came wrapped in Page 3!

8 hours ago, GordonD said:

Didn't think they were still doing it as late as that.

Page 3 was going for years after that.

Newspaper still getting used now.

22 hours ago, GordonD said:

Didn't think they were still doing it as late as that.

Aye, it's the Eighties I'm remembering it from. They all switched at some point in the Nineties, and I've a vague memory of being a bit confused about why they changed, as it's what I associated with the chippy.

In retrospect, how rank was that - your supper wrapped up in some paper that was probably covered in coliform bacteria, considering people used to be even worse about washing their hands.

42 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Aye, it's the Eighties I'm remembering it from. They all switched at some point in the Nineties, and I've a vague memory of being a bit confused about why they changed, as it's what I associated with the chippy.

In retrospect, how rank was that - your supper wrapped up in some paper that was probably covered in coliform bacteria, considering people used to be even worse about washing their hands.

I wonder where they got their newspapers from?  I always assumed they were ones unsold from newsagents/printers rather than from folks' homes.  

13 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I wonder where they got their newspapers from?  I always assumed they were ones unsold from newsagents/printers rather than from folks' homes.  

I can imagine some chippies giving a free bag of chips to anybody who brought in a sufficiently large bundle of papers.

10 minutes ago, GordonD said:

I can imagine some chippies giving a free bag of chips to anybody who brought in a sufficiently large bundle of papers.

Makes sense but I can't imagine they used manky old papers from any random's house.

That said, I'm not sure they actually wrapped the food in newspaper - weren't they just used as the outside wrapper whilst the food was actually wrapped in different paper? 

13 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Makes sense but I can't imagine they used manky old papers from any random's house.

That said, I'm not sure they actually wrapped the food in newspaper - weren't they just used as the outside wrapper whilst the food was actually wrapped in different paper? 

That's my recollection, old newspapers outside wrapping, blank newsprint paper on inside.

10 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Yeah, from my experience there was always an inside wrapper for all food stuff & newspaper was the outer wrapper, sometimes containing all the individual suppers in one huge package (normally broadsheets required for this). 

Just now, Brother Blades said:

Yeah, from my experience there was always an inside wrapper for all food stuff & newspaper was the outer wrapper, sometimes containing all the individual suppers in one huge package (normally broadsheets required for this). 

Right - we weren't a big chipper family (come at me) but remember the big bundle all wrapped in newspaper and the individual suppers inside in plain white paper. 

51 minutes ago, hk blues said:

When I did paper rounds, the newsagent would cut the newspaper header with the date on an return them to the supplier for a refund, it was up to him to dispose of the rest.