Quick Question Thread

I thought the whole world ground to a halt so everyone can watch what is undoubtedly the biggest and best derby in the world?

Not over here as the majority of people havent heard of either of them.

I just like sseing them kick the shit out of each other.

Have to settle for Stoke v Man U

What the f**k's a networking event?!

I was wondering the same thing.

Lateness, generally, is frowned upon. I can't think of a situation where it's acceptable. If you've phoned in advance and told people you're going to be late, it's not quite so rude, but there's nothing bothers me more than being in the middle of something and a latecomer arriving and disrupting you.

We were told a couple of weeks ago that if we arrive at uni late and a lecture has started to just not bother coming in to the lecture room. This was around 9.20am when the lecture started at 9am, and sure enough, five minutes after that, a girl came in and proceeded to stomp loudly up the steps to find a seat. We're all adults and should be able to concentrate on the lecture in hand, but it's so bloody annoying when people decide they can turn up whenever the hell they like and make as much noise as they fancy. You can't help but get distracted.

Ok, so I went off on a bit of a tangent from the original question asked, but in short, no, lateness is rude and annoying to everyone else who has made the effort to get there on time unless you have a good reason.

Guest The Phoenix

What the f**k's a networking event?!

In my line of work, it's where people are brought together in the belief that their togetherness will be of mutual benefit to all parties present because they bring certain skill sets to the party.

However, in practice, it's generally a borefest with food.

I was wondering the same thing.

Lateness, generally, is frowned upon. I can't think of a situation where it's acceptable. If you've phoned in advance and told people you're going to be late, it's not quite so rude, but there's nothing bothers me more than being in the middle of something and a latecomer arriving and disrupting you.

We were told a couple of weeks ago that if we arrive at uni late and a lecture has started to just not bother coming in to the lecture room. This was around 9.20am when the lecture started at 9am, and sure enough, five minutes after that, a girl came in and proceeded to stomp loudly up the steps to find a seat. We're all adults and should be able to concentrate on the lecture in hand, but it's so bloody annoying when people decide they can turn up whenever the hell they like and make as much noise as they fancy. You can't help but get distracted.

Ok, so I went off on a bit of a tangent from the original question asked, but in short, no, lateness is rude and annoying to everyone else who has made the effort to get there on time unless you have a good reason.

Not half as annoying as lectures that are on the timetable at, say 10, But by practice don't start til 10:15 and then have a 15 minute 'break' at 11. Just give the one and a half hour lecture and get us to f**k out.

Edited by vikingTON

I can't believe anyone is overly fussed at folk turning up late for a lecture. Sometimes you get held up, your bus/train is late or any other plausible circumstance outwith your control and you arrive 5/10 mins late.

As they walk into the room you are distracted for about 3 seconds and your learning isn't exactly disrupted. It would be a bit rude and disrespectful to the lecturer if you constantly did it but surely no one can have a complaint if it's once in a blue moon?

Edited by Fudge

Couple of guys came into one of my lectures late on Friday. They came in at 10.25. The lecturer asked the first guy what time the lecture started at, to which the douchebag answered "25 past 10". The lecturer kind of laughed it off and asked the other guy who replied the same. But the lecturer didn't react the same, he said "That was a shitty answer, f**k off." then once he had returned to his desk thing, as he had handed them both sheets, he changed his mind and told the guy to leave. And he asked the next two people why they were late, one responded that he'd ran outta petrol and the other saying that he had done the homework so he should be allowed to stay. The latter was Greek and it seemed to be the reason why he was allowed. I certainly won't be arriving after ten past for his class!!

If it was once in a blue moon that would be understandable, Fudge. Alas, there's at least half a dozen in every single lecture ranging from between 15 to 30 mins late. If they'd enter the room quietly it would be at least some attempt at consideration. It really does get on my tits.

It's also a huge room with over 500 people in it. We all have to wait til the stragglers find a seat, which normally means them dithering about looking for one before walking none too quietly up the steps.

Ah bugger, I've wound myself right up now.

Guest The Phoenix

If it was once in a blue moon that would be understandable, Fudge. Alas, there's at least half a dozen in every single lecture ranging from between 15 to 30 mins late. If they'd enter the room quietly it would be at least some attempt at consideration. It really does get on my tits.

Albeit a long time ago, when I was at Uni, no admittance was allowed after the lecture had started.

We have a 15 minute rule, you can go in up to 15 minutes late or not go in until the next lesson.

In the other side, if the lecturer is 15 minutes late for their lesson we have the right to leave and the lesson cancelled.

When I first got into uni I was expecting it to be like you see in films, massive halls with 60/70+ people and individual desks. How disappointed was I when I turned up at my first lecture and there was fifteen people including myself, all sat round tables like you had in high school :(

Edited by Breaking Decency