Quick Question Thread

I'm aware that this should probably be in the gaming forum but I don't want to start a thread nor can I be bothered looking for any previous threads on this.

Am I right in saying that PS2 games are not compatible with PS3?

There are but only if you bought one of the earlier playstation 3, as they had "ps2 compatibility" at least I think that's what they called it in the specs. I bought mine the year after it came out(I think) and I don't have it

There are but only if you bought one of the earlier playstation 3, as they had "ps2 compatibility" at least I think that's what they called it in the specs. I bought mine the year after it came out(I think) and I don't have it

Don't have a PS3. It's the decision to get that or an x-box for the wee man.

Don't have a PS3. It's the decision to get that or an x-box for the wee man.

If you buy it new then you won't be able to play ps2 games on it. If he's old enough that you think he'd want to go online and play then I'd recommend the playstation, as it's internet access is free, although not as good as X-box live. But it will work out cheaper if you have it for a few years as the difference in price is balanced out by not having to pay for your internet for the few years.

Also you have to pay for a wireless router for the xbox whereas it's built in on the ps3. The controller are also wireless, by default. You need to buy a battery pack for the x-box.

I'm sure someone who owns an xbox will come on and refute my points tongue.gif

What's the going price for a bottle of MD/Buckfast? I usually drink cider and beer, so I'm not really sure of the prices of these classy drinks. Pretty sure MD's about £6 though.

Aye, the old MD has shot up in price recently. Any more than a fiver a bottle was rare a year or two back but you're looking at 6 quid now. Well worth it though. It truly is the drink of kings and if anyone tells you differently, kick them in the cunt.

If you buy it new then you won't be able to play ps2 games on it. If he's old enough that you think he'd want to go online and play then I'd recommend the playstation, as it's internet access is free, although not as good as X-box live. But it will work out cheaper if you have it for a few years as the difference in price is balanced out by not having to pay for your internet for the few years.

Also you have to pay for a wireless router for the xbox whereas it's built in on the ps3. The controller are also wireless, by default. You need to buy a battery pack for the x-box.

Probably because you're talking shite? You're getting mixed up with "wireless router" and "wireless adaptor". The wireless router is the thing you plug your modem in that sends a wireless signal around your house. The wireless adaptor is what receives the signal. Both the PS3 and the Xbox 360 have these built in. You don't have to buy any extra peripherals at all.

Ayrgirl, I own both, and the best bit of advice you'll get is to get the one for him that most of his mates have. If they all have PS3s, get him a PS3. If they have 360s, get him a 360. Ask what games he wants to play. If it's FIFA, Call of Duty, then they're much of a muchness on either console. If he wants to play specific console-exclusive games, then you'll need to buy him that console.

It's only 40 pounds a year for Xbox Live, less than a pound a week.

Or a fiver a month depending on what you prefer. It's not THAT expensive for what's regarded as the better service.

From when I worked in Gamestation we were told to push the Xbox onto anyone interested in just gaming as the 360 beat the PS3 hands down in that regard, however, as a home entertainment system, the PS3 wins quite easily as it has Blu-Ray.

Also, the PS3 has the internet but then most people have a computer anyway.

So, yeah.

Ayrgirl, I own both, and the best bit of advice you'll get is to get the one for him that most of his mates have. If they all have PS3s, get him a PS3. If they have 360s, get him a 360.

This is the best advice someone could give, if he can play online with his mates then I apologise in advance as you'll never get him off it :lol:

Edited by NotThePars

Aye, the old MD has shot up in price recently. Any more than a fiver a bottle was rare a year or two back but you're looking at 6 quid now. Well worth it though. It truly is the drink of kings and if anyone tells you differently, kick them in the c**t.

Orange is good, kiwi... not so much.

Probably because you're talking shite? You're getting mixed up with "wireless router" and "wireless adaptor". The wireless router is the thing you plug your modem in that sends a wireless signal around your house. The wireless adaptor is what receives the signal. Both the PS3 and the Xbox 360 have these built in. You don't have to buy any extra peripherals at all.

Ayrgirl, I own both, and the best bit of advice you'll get is to get the one for him that most of his mates have. If they all have PS3s, get him a PS3. If they have 360s, get him a 360. Ask what games he wants to play. If it's FIFA, Call of Duty, then they're much of a muchness on either console. If he wants to play specific console-exclusive games, then you'll need to buy him that console.

Huh, I thought you had to buy something to allow you to connect wireless-ly to the Xbox, my mistake.

How much is the price difference between a 360 and a PS3? Bout 100 quid? so you save money if you have the PS3 for more than 3 years, although you get a lesser online experience. The PS3 online isn't that bad although I wish I had a 360 to make a proper unbiased comparison.

Huh, I thought you had to buy something to allow you to connect wireless-ly to the Xbox, my mistake.

How much is the price difference between a 360 and a PS3? Bout 100 quid? so you save money if you have the PS3 for more than 3 years, although you get a lesser online experience. The PS3 online isn't that bad although I wish I had a 360 to make a proper unbiased comparison.

No. You used to on the older models. Not on the new ones.

Xbox Live is available for far less than £40 as well. I've never paid more than £25 for a year's subscription.

Thanks lads.

He's got an old PS2 currently but it was 2nd hand and is probably on it's last legs. He mostly plays Fifa (just got fifa 11) on it. It's actually his papa who is thinking of getting him an x-box for his christmas but hubby thought a PS3 would be better as he already has ps2 games but clearly that doesn't matter. He's only 10 so is not playing on-line with his pals yet. They do link up the DS though :D

Thanks lads.

He's got an old PS2 currently but it was 2nd hand and is probably on it's last legs. He mostly plays Fifa (just got fifa 11) on it. It's actually his papa who is thinking of getting him an x-box for his christmas but hubby thought a PS3 would be better as he already has ps2 games but clearly that doesn't matter. He's only 10 so is not playing on-line with his pals yet. They do link up the DS though :D

Why don't you ask him what he wants?