Quick Question Thread

Put it into a bag of uncooked rice and leave it for 48 hours. Theory is that the dry rice draws out the moisture. Leave it switched off during the process.

Just like putting a few grains of uncooked rice in your cruet set salt cellar stops the salt going all solid,

A snooker question.

I was reading an article in The Herald today about a snooker prodigy, it featured a section about a famous Glasgow snooker club where he trains.

The article stated that said club was the first in Scotland to witness a 147 break, it went on to say a 152 break was recorded there, the highest in Scotland apparantly.

How is it possible to record a 152 break? Obviously if the opponent makes a foul or two before the maximum break, the total score will exceed 147, but how can a break itself reach 152?

A snooker question.

I was reading an article in The Herald today about a snooker prodigy, it featured a section about a famous Glasgow snooker club where he trains.

The article stated that said club was the first in Scotland to witness a 147 break, it went on to say a 152 break was recorded there, the highest in Scotland apparantly.

How is it possible to record a 152 break? Obviously if the opponent makes a foul or two before the maximum break, the total score will exceed 147, but how can a break itself reach 152?

An extra brown ball on the table.

A snooker question.

The opponent fouls, leaving the player snookered on the reds. Player gets free ball, nominating and potting any other colour as a red. He then pots brown giving him 1 + 4 = 5pts. He goes on to clear the table with a maximum 147, giving a total break of 152.

The opponent fouls, leaving the player snookered on the reds. Player gets free ball, nominating and potting any other colour as a red. He then pots brown giving him 1 + 4 = 5pts. He goes on to clear the table with a maximum 147, giving a total break of 152.

Ah free ball. I forgot that even existed. Thank you welshbairn.

The red is only obligatory before they've been cleared from the table.

Call me cynical but I think you might be making up this additional brown ball Dee Man.

I think you're right.

Also, you should have pulled me up on my deliberate mistake. If there was an extra brown it would have to be potted again when the colours were being cleared, taking my fictional break to 156.

If my highest break to date wasn't 16 I would put an extra brown on the table and try this.

I think you're right.

Also, you should have pulled me up on my deliberate mistake. If there was an extra brown it would have to be potted again when the colours were being cleared, taking my fictional break to 156.

If my highest break to date wasn't 16 I would put an extra brown on the table and try this.

Damn, I neglected that when I was doing the sums in my head.

I've frequently been involved in games where the scores have exceeded 147 myself, but that's generally due to the scores of fouls commited.

These frames generally last an hour or more. It's probably like watching Terry Griffiths on ketamine.

Is there a title for when you for example read a book or watch a programme then suddenly begin to see references to it everywhere? A friend of mine has noticed people referencing parts of American Psycho after he finished reading the book and I've had it before. I'm certain I've seen someone else mention this before and had a name for it but it's eluding me at the moment. Apologies if this is v. vague but that's the best I could put it.

Edit: no he does not read this website or I would see what he meant with the American Psycho references.

Edited by NotThePars

Did the BBC not used to get Scotland away games?

Or is it just because Sky get all home nations home games that the Wales game is on Sky?

Yep, Sky have the rights to Wales home games so that's why they have this Friday's games.

The other four away games are on BBC Scotland and ESPN.