Quick Question Thread

It's at half seven in the morning so we would have to go the night before but it's worth a shot. Cheers.

I also think the earliest you can get them is 12 weeks before the day of departure.

Two train related questions. Does anyone know a good site for getting cheap train fares because I'm pricing ones to Manchester in October and they look a bit more expensive than I've heard they can be. Also is it likely that an Edinburgh to London train in the morning will have reserved seats? A group of us are travelling down to Bestival next week and it didn't allow us to reserve seats back in June when we purchased tickets but we're unsure whether reservations might not have been allowed till nearer the travel date. Thanks in advance!

I'd just go with Virgin if you can man. I normally get them when I'm going down to London. If you book early enough in advance (like it sounds you are), you can get first class tickets for the same price as normal tickets elsewhere. They are reliable and you can book specific quiet coaches if you want - although you might not want to with heading to a festival and all.

They have a best fare finder - http://www.farefinder.virgintrains.co.uk/ - which you can use.

I'm getting a flight to Heathrow but need to change to Gatwick in order to get to my destination. I will have around 3 hours and 20 minutes to do this to catch my connection flight from the moment my plane is due to land in Heathrow. My question is: is this possible to do via bus (75 min journey) or is there a quicker way or do I have no chance to get to gatwick in time?

There are 3 important factors you haven't mentioned: Do you just have hand luggage? At what time do you arrive at Heathrow? Which terminal will you arrive at? (If it's a UK domestic flight I'd assume T5 but you don't say where your flight originates from).

If you land at T5, have hand luggage, you've booked a car and driver and it's between 10.00-16.00 you could get to Gatwick in about 1.5 hours.

If you have checked luggage, arrive at T1-3 and catch a bus and it's between 10.00-16.00 then 3 hours is do-able but very tight. A minor glitch and you're fucked.

One alternative is Heathrow Express to Paddington. Circle Line to Victoria. Train to Gatwick. Probably about the same price as booking a car but, if you arrive during rush hour, worth considering. I'd estimate 3 hours if you've checked bags?

Give us more details and I'd be happy to give you a better opinion.

I'd just go with Virgin if you can man. I normally get them when I'm going down to London. If you book early enough in advance (like it sounds you are), you can get first class tickets for the same price as normal tickets elsewhere. They are reliable and you can book specific quiet coaches if you want - although you might not want to with heading to a festival and all.

They have a best fare finder - http://www.farefinder.virgintrains.co.uk/ - which you can use.

We've already got our tickets for the festival sorted as it's next week but I'll give that site a go for our other trip down south in a couple of months. Cheers!

There are 3 important factors you haven't mentioned: Do you just have hand luggage? At what time do you arrive at Heathrow? Which terminal will you arrive at? (If it's a UK domestic flight I'd assume T5 but you don't say where your flight originates from).

If you land at T5, have hand luggage, you've booked a car and driver and it's between 10.00-16.00 you could get to Gatwick in about 1.5 hours.

If you have checked luggage, arrive at T1-3 and catch a bus and it's between 10.00-16.00 then 3 hours is do-able but very tight. A minor glitch and you're fucked.

One alternative is Heathrow Express to Paddington. Circle Line to Victoria. Train to Gatwick. Probably about the same price as booking a car but, if you arrive during rush hour, worth considering. I'd estimate 3 hours if you've checked bags?

Give us more details and I'd be happy to give you a better opinion.

I am flying from Canada and arriving into Heathrow, Terminal 5, at 1:30PM. I have checked luggage. My flight from Gatwick is at 4:50PM. I've never been to Heathrow and I've heard it's like another city because its so big so I'm worried about how long it would take to reach my bus or get to a train station. What would you suggest is my best option?

I am flying from Canada and arriving into Heathrow, Terminal 5, at 1:30PM. I have checked luggage. My flight from Gatwick is at 4:50PM. I've never been to Heathrow and I've heard it's like another city because its so big so I'm worried about how long it would take to reach my bus or get to a train station. What would you suggest is my best option?

Youll have to pick your luggage up at gatwick and hump it over

Did ba let you book that flight or are you changing airlines?

Taxi maybe the option

Yeah I'm flying with BA. I can't afford a taxi...

Get the bus,if you miss your connection they will put you on the next flight

Just explain that you have transferred from Gatwick(don't get annoyed etc with them) and they will re book you no probs,happened to me with a 5 hr stopover(bus broke down)

Get the bus,if you miss your connection they will put you on the next flight

Just explain that you have transferred from Gatwick(don't get annoyed etc with them) and they will re book you no probs,happened to me with a 5 hr stopover(bus broke down)

Heathrow you mean, I'm flying home from Gatwick. But yeah. If I missed my flight simply because I couldn't get to Gatwick by bus quick enough, do you reckon I could tell them the bus broke down/was late or something?

T5 is modern and works well and bags usually arrive pretty quickly. It's also on the best side of the airport to get to Gatwick.

The time of arrival is good as the M25 should be flowing well.

If it was me I'd book a taxi and you'd probably be ok. A bus and you may make it but it's much riskier.

I'd also not depend on whoever you're flying with booking you on the next flight from Gatwick if you miss the one you're booked on. If it's BA they might. If it's Easyjet they won't.

I'd also make sure you check in online and print your boarding card before you leave Canada and also, at the Canadian baggage drop, ask them to put a Priority tag on your bags.

Good luck!

Heathrow you mean, I'm flying home from Gatwick. But yeah. If I missed my flight simply because I couldn't get to Gatwick by bus quick enough, do you reckon I could tell them the bus broke down/was late or something?

I had a look at the National Express timetable:

post-44711-0-23317800-1377957552_thumb.j

The last bus you can catch to be half-confident of getting to Gatwick on time is at 14.30. This gives you a scant hour to 'deplane', get your bags, go through immigration and get to the bus station.

Aye, it's possible but I'd not risk it. Better to spend an extra £25/30 and book a car and driver.

Cheers Kincardine. If a Taxi isn't going to cost more than 60 I may do that. I read somewhere they are pretty competitive when it comes to doing this so I think I'll have a look at prices online or something.

I've done the Aberdeen/Heathrow/Gatwick and onwards or Edinburgh/Heathrow/Gatwick and onwards trip a few times and it's a fucking bitch because of the number of imponderables.

I am certain that booking a taxi is right but I can't recommend one. Try googling on forums and see what folk recommend.

Oh and if you miss your flight I'll buy you a pint!

Edited by The_Kincardine

Do you know why he was banned?

Nah?

Seems a strange one? Think someone got banned for a racist comment in the Sound Guys thread, not sure if it was him?

He could just follow the Hearts tradition and perpetually return in a string of ever more pathetic aliases?