Quick Question Thread

I remember reading that they are never that far off the ground because they follow the curvature of the hill.

You weren't wanting anything more precise than "not that far" were you?

I'm looking for the vertical distance from the turning point of their jump down to where they hit the ground, like this:

post-1835-12666632794327_thumb.jpg

I'm looking for the vertical distance from the turning point of their jump down to where they hit the ground, like this:

post-1835-12666632794327_thumb.jpg

I think that will vary quite a lot depending on the design of the ski jump but I did find details of one jump here

In 1955, the Olympic team ski jump trials and the U.S. Jumping Championship were held at the Pine Mountain Ski-Jump at Iron Mountain.

The Pine Mountain scaffold in 1955 was 328 feet long and 156 feet high, the tallest man-made ski jump in the world. It had a 632-foot landing hill, making a total run of nearly 1,000 feet. There was a vertical drop of 415 feet from the end of the scaffold to the end of the landing hill.

The same article also says

In ski jumping, the jumper follows the curve of the hill, usually no more than 10 feet off the ground, while fliers aim for much greater heights and distances. The sport is considered so dangerous that ski jumping is a male-only sport in the Olympic games and ski flying is not recognized at all.

Quick Medical Question.

Basically i had my nose broken last Thursday, had it put back into place on Wednesday.

Is it too early to go out drinking? I havn't been on any medication. They didn't say anything about not doing it, but i feel P&B is a good place to get further opinions.

Quick Medical Question.

Basically i had my nose broken last Thursday, had it put back into place on Wednesday.

Is it too early to go out drinking? I havn't been on any medication. They didn't say anything about not doing it, but i feel P&B is a good place to get further opinions.

get pished

Why do the adverts for Sky HD look a lot better on my telly which is not HD than the rest of the shite thats on it?

Are Sky giving us an inferior product on purpose so we will upgrade?

If they can do it in the adverts do it all the time.

Why do the adverts for Sky HD look a lot better on my telly which is not HD than the rest of the shite thats on it?

Conspiricy ! :ph34r: Fair point actually.

A-ha!!!

I made this point a couple of years ago.

Four years ago, I spent £400 on a new telly. The picture was brilliant and I noticed over the last year or two of its life (it was a 32" CRT so was FUCKING MASSIVE) that the picture was notably poorer.

I can remember posting on here that my theory was that TV companies have been deliberately degrading signals in order that we upgrade.

What you've said here is exactly the same that I said to my mates a week ago - the Sky HD pictures look absolutely fantastic, so why don't all the programmes?

Quick Medical Question.

Unless you're going to be doing one of those crazy shots up your nose like some nutters do, go for it!!!

A-ha!!!

I made this point a couple of years ago.

Four years ago, I spent £400 on a new telly. The picture was brilliant and I noticed over the last year or two of its life (it was a 32" CRT so was FUCKING MASSIVE) that the picture was notably poorer.

I can remember posting on here that my theory was that TV companies have been deliberately degrading signals in order that we upgrade.

What you've said here is exactly the same that I said to my mates a week ago - the Sky HD pictures look absolutely fantastic, so why don't all the programmes?

Different channels are broadcast at different qualities, depends on how much they want to pay Sky for the bandwith. More channels = less quality.

for a more detailed explanation