The New Raith Rovers Thread

3 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

Probably the only ex Raith player not linked to the role

He's done a fantastic job there by all accounts too.

Took them up a couple of years back then kept them up when 7 teams got relegated.  

The easiest way to get the fans back on board is to win games, not get involved in community based projects.

I agree with the first part but totally disagree with the second. School visits, community projects, meetings with the fans, openness in interviews and being approachable are all things that are needed at our club.

Granted all of these things are a lot easier to do when the team is winning but it was a huge factor when they went looking for someone after McKinnon left. I do know that they did see Laurie Ellis as almost a bigger loss because of the work he did (largely off his own back) for the club off the pitch and away from the training ground.

McKinnons open invitation to the fans for a drink at O'Connels went down extremely well I remember. Especially as it was on the back of a injury time winner against Morton. Picked up a lot of publicity too.

2 hours ago, Sheevedaw said:

Will prices drop even further next season? A few friends of mine are pretty reluctant to fork out £15 but that's down to them not being avid fans of Scottish Football, let alone Rovers. I think they may be enticed if it was maybe a tenner.

It might be hard for them to lower prices now that they have sold so many hundred season tickets..... alternatively, if they were to, they would need to offer some kind of discount or refund to the folk (aye! I-m one of them) that shelled out on the ST's at £230.

I'm as unconvinced about Young as I am with Easton but I suppose at our level, whoever we chose will either lack experience or have a failure on his record. Would have loved Hartley but we would have only had a chance with that if we'd stayed up. Some other possibilities: 

Stevie Aitken
Darren Young
Ian Murray
Laurie Ellis
Craig Easton
John McGlynn
Stewart Petrie
Danny Lennon
Russell Latapy

Probably in that order of preference for me but we'll need a bit of luck, there's no appointment there that looks a nailed on success.

Edited by R.R.FC

would we be prepared/afford to pay compensation for guys like Aitken, Murray, Ellis, if they are already contracted to other clubs?

Assuming we aren't the potential shortlist could be as short as Young, McGlynn and Lennon..... although when we've done this in previous seasons, its always been someone from a wee bit left field that's ended up being appointed!

3 minutes ago, Beachbum said:

Aitken's contract is up at the end of the month.

That makes sense then! assuming Dumbarton aren't looking to renew, id certainly think he would be on the shortlist - I suppose it comes down to whether he wants to give up his job, or remain part time.

16 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

I'm as unconvinced about Young as I am with Easton but I suppose at our level, whoever we chose will either lack experience or have a failure on his record. Would have loved Hartley but we would have only had a chance with that if we'd stayed up. Some other possibilities: 

Stevie Aitken
Darren Young
Ian Murray
Laurie Ellis
Craig Easton
John McGlynn
Stewart Petrie
Danny Lennon
Russell Latapy

Probably in that order of preference for me but we'll need a bit of luck, there's no appointment there that looks a nailed on success.

It's pretty much the same list as last year :lol:

What are people thoughts on Gus MacPherson? He's one of those names that is always banded around and sounds very uninspiring and I would probably feel a bit of dread if he was appointed tomorrow. 

However, when you look at his record it is actually pretty good. Barring one shocker of a season at QOS he has around 10 seasons of reasonable success. Seems to be doing a good job at Queen's Park.

6 minutes ago, renton said:

It's pretty much the same list as last year :lol:

We're going to pick Gary Locke again aren't we? Can only imagine how impressed our board will be if he keeps Cowdenbeath up...

1 minute ago, R.R.FC said:

We're going to pick Gary Locke again aren't we? Can only imagine how impressed our board will be if he keeps Cowdenbeath up...

Aye, there were a number of circumstances why he couldn't do as good a job as he'd of liked at his last club....