The New Raith Rovers Thread

That's exactly my opinion to be quite honest.

So would every Rovers fan, ultimately. However, considering where we are, and how attractive a proposition we are, there aren't too many better options off the top of my head.

The appointment of Smith may seem uninspiring, his post-game interviews are a bit staid, and his managerial record is, well, mixed, but his spells at Dundee and East Fife are at least encouraging.

He's probably seen as a safe pair of hands, and lets face it, that's probably a good thing considering the bizarre goings on we've had since last summer.

I'm not sure who the better options are that you're vaguely alluding to, and to be honest, I'm not sure you know either.

Darren Young? Maybe, and I'd have been happy if we'd taken a chance on him, but it's hardly a far better choice.

I've also heard a few times that he's thicker than my Gran's stovies, which might be nonsense, but I'd only have been happy if he'd arrived as part of a package with Billy Stark.

Dick Campbell? Gary Bollan? Danny Lennon? John McGlynn? No thanks.

We're a long way away from knowing what our squad is going to be like come August, but before the appointment, my opinion was we'd win the league, or come very close to it.

This appointment hasn't changed my mind one bit.

If Robertson is back to full fitness how about him as assistant?
we can't afford to spunk out money and that would give us a player coach and allow CE more freedom to bring on the kids.

That could also work the other way round. I think they'll be a lot of pulling together throughout this season to keep the budget down. Maybe Robertson will stay on and put his coaching to good use. Not sure how I'd fancy him as assistant first time round with no experience though.

Scott Robertson certainly seems to fit the bill as the assistant given his involvement with the development squad last year, the apparent close links between first 11 and under 20s along with Smith saying he might go down the route of a player/assistant. I know Robertson is really well thought of in a coaching capacity at Starks Park so I wouldn't rule it out.

3 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

So would every Rovers fan, ultimately. However, considering where we are, and how attractive a proposition we are, there aren't too many better options off the top of my head.

The appointment of Smith may seem uninspiring, his post-game interviews are a bit staid, and his managerial record is, well, mixed, but his spells at Dundee and East Fife are at least encouraging.

He's probably seen as a safe pair of hands, and lets face it, that's probably a good thing considering the bizarre goings on we've had since last summer.

I'm not sure who the better options are that you're vaguely alluding to, and to be honest, I'm not sure you know either.

Darren Young? Maybe, and I'd have been happy if we'd taken a chance on him, but it's hardly a far better choice.

I've also heard a few times that he's thicker than my Gran's stovies, which might be nonsense, but I'd only have been happy if he'd arrived as part of a package with Billy Stark.

Dick Campbell? Gary Bollan? Danny Lennon? John McGlynn? No thanks.

We're a long way away from knowing what our squad is going to be like come August, but before the appointment, my opinion was we'd win the league, or come very close to it.

This appointment hasn't changed my mind one bit.

Darren Young would've been a risk no doubt but I would argue one worth taking based upon how well he did in his time with deep financial constraints at Albion Rovers, John McGlynn would've been a preference too, I know his style of football maybe didn't go down too well but in the grand scheme of things he did well with us, Danny Lennon I was kinda of the same opinion as you but wouldn't have been 100% unhappy if we had opted for him, the less said about Bollan & Campbell the better!

So going by smiths interview who is he taking from east fife as last few seconds definitely sounds that way 

Johnathon Page, Kyle Wilkie, Tony Wallace and Chris Duggan seem the only obvious candidates, but I'm not sure any even want to make the step up to full time.

Maybe we'll have some East Fife fan come on to educate us though, with of course, some superfluous exclamation or question marks at the end of each sentence.

Johnathon Page, Kyle Wilkie, Tony Wallace and Chris Duggan seem the only obvious candidates, but I'm not sure any even want to make the step up to full time.

Maybe we'll have some East Fife fan come on to educate us though, with of course, some superfluous exclamation or question marks at the end of each sentence.

And some shite memes.

Wilkie hasn't played for months page wants part time football Wallace hasn't been resigned duggan would jump at full time I imagine but there all signed up apart from Wallace who I said isn't 

Edited by Hooper

Page and Duggan are certainly 2 of our most influential players but there is some confusion over their futures. Both had 'agreed terms' but unsure if that means they have signed a contract or not.

Wilkie and Wallace have both been out injured long term but would like to keep a hold of them. I can't see Kevin Smith going back to Raith either. I suppose it depends on what these guys do for work out with football and being full time may not suit them.

Just watched the interview there. Got the impression that a player/assistant isn't necessarily somebody already at the club. Could be somebody like a Premier league player with maybe one or two more seasons left in them and coaching ambitions. I'm sure there one or two of those around.

1 hour ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

How is this interview an "exclusive"? Didn't Barry Smith speak to just about everybody yesterday?

He spoke to the written press - Fife Free Press, The Courier etc.

He spoke to STV News for the TV, aswell as RaithTV.

He spoke to me for the Radio - KingdomFM. 

While these interviews are all going to be similar, certain questions and / or answers may be different. It is an exclusive interview to me as I am the only one who holds those answers to those questions. That isn't to say the FFP didn't ask the same questions and got the same answers too. 

31 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Think "exclusive" is stretching it to the extreme but fair play to you for doing your own thing. Good luck with the site.

Fair enough, I'll take that advice on board and I appreciate your feedback. Thanks. 

For me the jury is still out on Barry Smith when he came to Bayview Gary Naysmith had done all the spade work and assembled a decent squad. Naysmith had also created a tight dressing room and all the players worked for each other. When he first took over I never seen any significant difference with tactics . We had just went on the start of a decent run and he guided us to a run of 12 or 13 games without defeat. then you could point to injuries but between the months of March and May he was responsible for some of the worst football seen at Bayview in a long time. To be honest I'm not too bothered to see him go. He seems like a decent guy but that doesn't make a good manager. Faith seem to have history on making poor managerial appointments and I have a feeling this could be another mistake from a board who seem clueless on the football front.