The New Raith Rovers Thread

11 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

Glad to see Nat has got a club, cult hero but not good enough to be part of a team to win the championship. Not sure what his stand out quality would be other than his strength, can’t remember him being that great at tackling or shooing but should be steady enough for league one. Good luck to him

Ffs, I had him down as the ideal candidate to get rid of the seagulls

9 hours ago, He's Got No Hair said:

Who else should we be going for? A player that has played in the Championship for the last two years, been a regular starter in a side that was in the play-offs last season. I thought we would be going for players in League 1 or 2 who played well last season with the offer of full time football. It's positive that we are getting players who have played in the league above and some with recent Premiership experience. We are Raith Rovers in League 1, a comedy club after the last two years and I think the signings of Gillespie and Wedderburn are much better than we could have expected. 

It's been mentioned a few times now, but Nat wasn't a regular starter in the side who reached the playoffs. We signed Beadling, Vincent and Craigan last year because simply put Nat isn't athletic or mobile enough to play in the middle in a 442, maybe dropping down and playing against part time opposition will negate that. He might be better in a midfield three? But to suggest that he was a starter in getting us to the playoffs is nonsense, much like saying that Thompson was Falkirks No1 keeper. 

Best of luck to the guy, he's a massive cult hero due to his incredible strength but we need better to progress. 

8 hours ago, Beachbum said:

Not to mention his ability to hold off three or four Rovers' players at the corner flag.

His ability to hold off players at the corner flag is insane. 

4 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

It's been mentioned a few times now, but Nat wasn't a regular starter in the side who reached the playoffs. We signed Beadling, Vincent and Craigan last year because simply put Nat isn't athletic or mobile enough to play in the middle in a 442, maybe dropping down and playing against part time opposition will negate that. He might be better in a midfield three? But to suggest that he was a starter in getting us to the playoffs is nonsense, much like saying that Thompson was Falkirks No1 keeper. 

How has Craigen been. Some Rovers fans thought he was awful but I thought he was a great player for us. Scored a lot of key goals for us under McKinnon. 

Just now, Broken Algorithms said:

How has Craigen been. Some Rovers fans thought he was awful but I thought he was a great player for us. Scored a lot of key goals for us under McKinnon. 

I think he's a good squad player, comfortable with him being in the squad and playing in the middle to add an attacking threat, or play him out wide to have a more solid midfield rather than a conventional winger, good set piece delivery. 

I'm not sure where he fits in this year, Thomson, Beadling and Vincent are infront of him in the centre and Higginbotham and Connolly are ahead out wide, I think he'll play more out wide. I do like him though. 

14 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I think he's a good squad player, comfortable with him being in the squad and playing in the middle to add an attacking threat, or play him out wide to have a more solid midfield rather than a conventional winger, good set piece delivery. 

I'm not sure where he fits in this year, Thomson, Beadling and Vincent are infront of him in the centre and Higginbotham and Connolly are ahead out wide, I think he'll play more out wide. I do like him though. 

Connolly is definitely more of a wide player. I think Aiden will be a fantastic signing for you. On his day, he can utterly ruin defences. 

What’s the score with the pitch/carpet? Rumours it’s here, others say they forgot to order it, the contractor that is. Doesn’t look like it’ll be ready for the start of the season. Maybe when it does arrive it’s not a big job to finish?

I've been pleasantly surprised by a few of the signings we've mad, for a club in our position, and certainly feel we are strengthening areas we were weaker in last season. Some of the folk on here seem to forget the position we are in, and I'm not quite sure they are realistic in the calibre of player they are expecting us to sign, for the wages we are able to afford. Who are you expecting us to sign?. Folk need to wake up and realise we are where we are, and I feel the club are doing very well to bring some of these players in. The signings of Milne, Gillespie, and Wedderburn in the middle - 3 totally different players - will give us options in the centre midfield we lacked last season. With a threadbare squad, we also have players with a bit of versatility who can cover in other positions. Crucial with so few players.

Some of the folk on here seem to forget the position we are in, and I'm not quite sure they are realistic in the calibre of player they are expecting us to sign. Folk need to wake up and realise we are where we are, and I feel the club are doing very well to bring some of these players in.

We still definitely need a wide man, another striker, and another keeper. I would anticipate only 2 further signings, supplemented with maybe a couple of loan players. We'll need to keep a few loan players in the bag, to cover for any injuries and the like! Early attendances could be the difference between brining in an extra player before the end of the transfer window.

On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 08:56, deeky said:

What’s the score with the pitch/carpet? Rumours it’s here, others say they forgot to order it, the contractor that is. Doesn’t look like it’ll be ready for the start of the season. Maybe when it does arrive it’s not a big job to finish?

I'm told some of it had started to arrive last week, which was a few days ahead of schedule.

Edited by GhostZapper

18 minutes ago, GhostZapper said:

I've been pleasantly surprised by a few of the signings we've mad, for a club in our position, and certainly feel we are strengthening areas we were weaker in last season. Some of the folk on here seem to forget the position we are in, and I'm not quite sure they are realistic in the calibre of player they are expecting us to sign, for the wages we are able to afford. Who are you expecting us to sign?. Folk need to wake up and realise we are where we are, and I feel the club are doing very well to bring some of these players in. The signings of Milne, Gillespie, and Wedderburn in the middle - 3 totally different players - will give us options in the centre midfield we lacked last season. With a threadbare squad, we also have players with a bit of versatility who can cover in other positions. Crucial with so few players.

Some of the folk on here seem to forget the position we are in, and I'm not quite sure they are realistic in the calibre of player they are expecting us to sign. Folk need to wake up and realise we are where we are, and I feel the club are doing very well to bring some of these players in.

We still definitely need a wide man, another striker, and another keeper. I would anticipate only 2 further signings, supplemented with maybe a couple of loan players. We'll need to keep a few loan players in the bag, to cover for any injuries and the like! Early attendances could be the difference between brining in an extra player before the end of the transfer window.

Hello? Hello? Is there an echo? 

We've made decent signings, combination of players dropping from a higher level, players who have performed at this level and players who have impressed from level below. 

Pressure will be on all season, but I'm happy with our business so far. 

I drove past the Carrick Sports van this morning, I know that might mean anything, and might be going to any other sports facility, but they were in at the ground earlier just before they started laying the type1. So hopefully they were en route to San Starko for the start of laying the ‘turf’.

1 minute ago, RRFC1989 said:

I find it pretty unusual that there still hasn’t been any announcement about ticket pricing etc for tonight’s game.

I shouldn’t be surprised though.

An announcement is scheduled to appear on the website at 1pm.

The emergency loan system is changing. I don't think you can loan anyone after the end of September until the new window opens in January. There are limited exemptions if it's a goalkeeper. I think in the Championship and above their loans have to be done by the end of August maybe? I think cross/border and international loans remain as before.