The New Raith Rovers Thread

7 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Not after the goals he shipped in our 5 nil horsing of QOTS in April. Pathetic display of goalkeeping.

Ach, that was for Queen of the South. Who can honestly expect their goalkeeper to achieve anything? He'll be grand once he's behind our solid defensive pairing of a teenager from Celtic, and some other c**t. 

12 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

That's a huge benefit of having that many options. I posted on our thread that I felt Smith has stagnated a bit with us, and I think that's because he's had no competition for his place in the team and had already won over the fans. From February through to the start of the play-offs he was pretty poor this year but still played 90 minutes every week. In the long term I don't think that's good for the player. I'm not saying he wasn't trying or anything like that, far from it, but I think having that competition for places just gives players that extra edge.

Raith will have all these guys desperate to play which will drive standards in training and games and make them better players. I can't see any negative of having 'too many' players.

Did Smith not score the goal in the first playoff match?

1 minute ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Ach, that was for Queen of the South. Who can honestly expect their goalkeeper to achieve anything? He'll be grand once he's behind our solid defensive pairing of a teenager from Celtic, and some other c**t. 

I'm sure Robbie Thomson flapped a bit against us when he was at Palmerston.

1 minute ago, TxRover said:

Did Smith not score the goal in the first playoff match?

Yip, and in the semi-final. Don't know how well I phrased it but I said he was poor until the start of the play-offs (2 goals in 15 games from mid January to May, at a time when the team was scoring 5 or 6 goals every other week). He showed bits of his best in the play-offs when they came around.

He tends to perform better in big games I would say, last year in the play-offs his hat-trick against Montrose was incredible. And his best ever game for us (apart from Montrose) was away to Hearts in the cup. Which I think ties in to my point that when he's got that extra bit of motivation you'll get a bit more out of him.

12 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Not after the goals he shipped in our 5 nil horsing of QOTS in April. Pathetic display of goalkeeping.

Did you dominate that game,  probably, will Dunfermline dominate possession against some Championship sides probably not. 

Mehmet was crap in your relegation season  Bene was finished as a CH in the Championship and Craig Wighton has never been prolific in the Championship yet some Dunfermline fans would rather have him than Jack Hamilton who scored for fun. I'm happy with the work my club is doing and if we sign a keeper that Hibs fans and Queen of the South fans both rate then I'll be happy.

4 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

Did you dominate that game,  probably, will Dunfermline dominate possession against some Championship sides probably not. 

Mehmet was crap in your relegation season  Bene was finished as a CH in the Championship and Craig Wighton has never been prolific in the Championship yet some Dunfermline fans would rather have him than Jack Hamilton who scored for fun. I'm happy with the work my club is doing and if we sign a keeper that Hibs fans and Queen of the South fans both rate then I'll be happy.

I'd rather Macdonald than Dabrowski or Mehmet.

37 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Yip, and in the semi-final. Don't know how well I phrased it but I said he was poor until the start of the play-offs (2 goals in 15 games from mid January to May, at a time when the team was scoring 5 or 6 goals every other week). He showed bits of his best in the play-offs when they came around.

He tends to perform better in big games I would say, last year in the play-offs his hat-trick against Montrose was incredible. And his best ever game for us (apart from Montrose) was away to Hearts in the cup. Which I think ties in to my point that when he's got that extra bit of motivation you'll get a bit more out of him.

Much agreement by me but was it against Dundee in the cup in November or am I making a senior moment error? 

Once they leave us I rarely take any interest but this could be an unusual season facing up to Smith and Easton whilst berating Ian Murray.

Just now, Chapelhall chap said:

Much agreement by me but was it against Dundee in the cup in November or am I making a senior moment error? 

Once they leave us I rarely take any interest but this could be an unusual season facing up to Smith and Easton whilst berating Ian Murray.

I was referring to a game pre-Covid at Tynecastle, I think we lost 4 or 5 nil. But I always remember him being excellent that day. He was also good this season against Dundee though and scored a nice goal.

9 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I was referring to a game pre-Covid at Tynecastle, I think we lost 4 or 5 nil. But I always remember him being excellent that day. He was also good this season against Dundee though and scored a nice goal.

Cheers

That's the game with Hutton in goal but sadly I don't remember anyone having a good game that day after initially thinking we'd do well. 

I missed the Dundee game where we played well till Cammy got sent off.

Where's the season ticket notice and some signings please!

46 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

I'll assume you're classing Jack Hamilton as scoring for fun by his best two loans spells  at Arbroath (8 in 14, 7 in 16) then Craig Wighton with 6 in 10 and 3 in 5 has also done alright. 

By the same logic that you'll class Wighton as never being prolific due to his bad spells, what would you say about Hamilton at Alloa, QoTS and of course Hartlepool, 3 in 31? 

Jack Hamilton might be the Kevin Nisbet, or he might be the next Gavin Reilly/Pat Clarke and dine off his purple patch for years, who knows. 

9 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Jack Hamilton might be the Kevin Nisbet, or he might be the next Gavin Reilly/Pat Clarke and dine off his purple patch for years, who knows. 

Schrödinger's Jack. 

This is the joy of football at this level. Players might be the perfect fit or absolute duds. It’s what keeps it interesting. 

1 minute ago, roverthemoon said:

Schrödinger's Jack. 

This is the joy of football at this level. Players might be the perfect fit or absolute duds. It’s what keeps it interesting. 

Aye, happens all the time. With absolutely hee haw else to talk about in regards to football I'm more than happy to talk about all the possibilities right enough 

Then the friendlies/league cup games come around and people can start looking very deeply at then, it'll be a good summer! 

2 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

Club advertising for a Digital Marketing Executive. 28k salary. To work at the Rovers.  

IMG_3505.jpeg

First job should be to clean up the website prior to a total overhaul. The overall state is embarrassing, with dead links and missing pages. An easy for instance is the sponsor a Jersey link, which basically says what you can do and the cost, but then directs you to look at individual player pages to see if they are available or already sponsored. It’s so much easier to build a master list, linked into that sponsor a player page, and then populate the player page data from the master list. All the commercial stuff is a complete mess too, so I’m a bit disappointed our new Commercial Manager doesn’t seem to have had a cow and demanded that be fixed pronto.

League Cup group stage draw on Thursday afternoon, 1 PM:

Pot 1: St Mirren, Motherwell, Livingston, St Johnstone, Kilmarnock, Ross County, Dundee Utd, Dundee.

Pot 2: Ayr, Queens Park, Partick Thistle, Morton, Inverness CT, Raith, Arbroath, Hamilton.

Pot 3: Cove, Dunfermline, Falkirk, Airdrieonians, Alloa, Queen of the South, F.C Edinburgh, Montrose.

Pot 4: Kelty Hearts, Clyde, Peterhead, Stirling Albion, Dumbarton, Annan, East Fife, Forfar

Pot 5: Stenhousemuir, Stranraer, Bonnyrigg Rose, Elgin City, Albion Rovers, Spartans, Brechin City, Cowdenbeath.

Edited by TxRover
Fixed thanks to Zen’s sharp eye

3 hours ago, Scottydog said:

I'll take Ross (H), Montrose (A),Kelty Hearts(H) & Elgin (A) 

or

Dundee Utd (H) , Pars (H), East Fife (A) & Brechin (A)

I’d like Dundee (H), Pars (H), East Fife (A) and Spartans (A) Like Dundee over DU because they’re a massive rebuild, Pars because why not, and the aways are nice and as close as it’s gonna get.