The New Raith Rovers Thread

30 minutes ago, ScottishLoon said:

Hello rovers fans we've had Luke mahady on trial and I'm curious as to what the situation or his development was like with him before he was released?

I'd be surprised if he has a career in football ahead of him. There's young players who will show glimpses of talent but he wasn't one of them Imo. As others have said, he didn't play much for us though. Iirc he was at Celtic boys club before mcglynn signed him for us. 

I would hazard a guess that potentially the the player that the gaffer is waiting on word from one way or another isn't Considine, given that he is still under contract and the St.Johnstone fans are expecting/hoping he will feature in next weekends league Cup match.

I would say it is most likely someone else, could even be Patterson from Hartlepool if as believed they are prepared to let him leave, especially given that he has been allowed to feature already for us. I have to say that the gaffer's body language wasn't exactly positive when asked about anyone coming in before the Pars match in my opinion, so we can only hope for positive news.

3 minutes ago, Raith69 said:

I would hazard a guess that potentially the the player that the gaffer is waiting on word from one way or another isn't Considine, given that he is still under contract and the St.Johnstone fans are expecting/hoping he will feature in next weekends league Cup match.

I would say it is most likely someone else, could even be Patterson from Hartlepool if as believed they are prepared to let him leave, especially given that he has been allowed to feature already for us. I have to say that the gaffer's body language wasn't exactly positive when asked about anyone coming in before the Pars match in my opinion, so we can only hope for positive news.

Tbh I think it will be a CH and we might get a LB/RB in on loan as we did with Ngwenya then probably a defensive midfielder on loan then I think that will be the squad pretty much done 

16 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Tbh I think it will be a CH and we might get a LB/RB in on loan as we did with Ngwenya then probably a defensive midfielder on loan then I think that will be the squad pretty much done 

I agree with you that it is likely to be a CH but personally don't see it being Considine but you never know.

I would like to see cover for the full-backs if we can and like you I can see a defensive midfielder come in too, actually think we need one, only because most of our midfielders are more attacking leaving only Matthews and Brown as the most defensive in my opinion and unfortunately both out just now.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

I’m betting if we get one in it’s either a DM or LB. I think the preferred CB ship has sailed, and IM will wait for loans to open up as long as Dick can optionally play CB rather than being required at LB.

@TxRover but is he really good enough to be a starting CB in the championship, it’s good being a jack of all trades but I would like a master instead and hopefully help stop conceding so many goals from crosses. Why settle

A Considine/Watson partnership would be a tremendous throwback to the season we had Campbell/Andrews/Tod at centre back. All on three were in their mid to late 30s, slow as f**k but attacking set pieces were absolute carnage watching markers tracking then.

No idea how slow Considine is nowadays, the only common factor might well be age.

Edited by Broken Algorithms

Haven't seen anything in pre season to be majorly alarmed about.  I am a bit cautious regarding the injury situation, particularly with Matthews and Brown.  Also we obviously need another signing at centre half, but will need to wait and see how Murray addresses.  I wouldn't be terribly surprised if this player mentioned is Patterson, partially to add depth at full back and also to allow Dick to cover centre half.  That isn't a long term solution, but will buy us a bit of time.

We were absolutely fine today, East Fife offered absolutely nothing in the match other than a pretty lame attempt by Austin early on.  Its little more than a glorified training session, but didn't show up anything massively alarming.  Ultimately, we will learn more in the first 45 minutes against Dunfermline than we have in all 4 of these matches. 

Edited by CALDERON

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

If we’d played 3 Premiership sides and been skelped in them all you’d have folk saying that we must now have no confidence and would've been better playing lower level opposition. Cannae win. 

Mahady barely got a kick for us. He went out on loan and was fairly unspectacular from that I gather. 

To be fair, Rovers won today and didn't really flag up any major concerns, so people need to create something else to complain about. 

Claude Anelka's Rovers side drew with then Premiership Dundee Utd in a pre season game.  That should end any relevance people place as to the standard of opposition in these games, they are glorified training sessions that fans just happen to attend in order to get their football fix.  They are of no more value or relevance than the bounce games you see mentioned as a footnote in the Courier throughout the season. 

Edited by CALDERON

1 hour ago, grumswall said:

I'd be surprised if he has a career in football ahead of him. There's young players who will show glimpses of talent but he wasn't one of them Imo. As others have said, he didn't play much for us though. Iirc he was at Celtic boys club before mcglynn signed him for us. 

Wow thanks for the glowing references lads! 😋🤦‍♂️

In all seriousness I appreciate the honesty, if he signs hopefully it will be the Kickstart he's needing.

47 minutes ago, ScottishLoon said:

In all seriousness I appreciate the honesty, if he signs hopefully it will be the Kickstart he's needing.

He was signed and trained alongside Quinn Coulson, who is now featuring pretty steadily with Alloa after his release. Mahady seemingly was considered the slightly better player than Coulson by McGlynn most of the time he was here, but Coulson was clearly favored by Murray. Coulson bloomed when Alloa gave him a chance, after not seriously impressing on loan at lower levels, so there’s always hope he just needs some playing time with better players.

1 hour ago, Been going too long said:

@TxRover but is he really good enough to be a starting CB in the championship, it’s good being a jack of all trades but I would like a master instead and hopefully help stop conceding so many goals from crosses. Why settle

Dick? He’s absolutely capable of starting on most teams in the Championship at CB. Honestly, I’d prefer Corr or Masson paired with Watson or Dick, simply for their speed…although Dick isn’t terribly slow, and Corr and Masson are relatively unproven (so wa O’Riordan). A few games might show that choice to be a  mistake or a stroke of genius, which is why I expect no CH/CB for a little while. 

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

Haven't seen anything in pre season to be majorly alarmed about.  I am a bit cautious regarding the injury situation, particularly with Matthews and Brown.  Also we obviously need another signing at centre half, but will need to wait and see how Murray addresses.  I wouldn't be terribly surprised if this player mentioned is Patterson, partially to add depth at full back and also to allow Dick to cover centre half.  That isn't a long term solution, but will buy us a bit of time.

We were absolutely fine today, East Fife offered absolutely nothing in the match other than a pretty lame attempt by Austin early on.  Its little more than a glorified training session, but didn't show up anything massively alarming.  Ultimately, we will learn more in the first 45 minutes against Dunfermline than we have in all 4 of these matches. 

Very much this

What I was hearing today,the  issue with Paterson and more so Hamilton who played as a trialist today is to do with Hartlepool.Something to do with them  not officially releasing /sanctioning their release which the club are waiting on

Edited by Rovers_Lad

1 hour ago, ScottishLoon said:

By all accounts he seems to be a thoroughly decent laddie, so fingers crossed he kicks on, preferably after Forfar have a bad start to the season before binning the snake, and kick on thereafter with decent spud in charge.

26 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Dick? He’s absolutely capable of starting on most teams in the Championship at CB. Honestly, I’d prefer Corr or Masson paired with Watson or Dick, simply for their speed…although Dick isn’t terribly slow, and Corr and Masson are relatively unproven (so wa O’Riordan). A few games might show that choice to be a  mistake or a stroke of genius, which is why I expect no CH/CB for a little while. 

Do you think if we run with those 4 players at CB that it’s good enough to finish in the playoffs? I don’t tbh 

21 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Very much this

What I was hearing today,the  issue with Paterson and more so Hamilton who played as a trialist today is to do with Hartlepool.Something to do with them  not officially releasing /sanctioning their release which the club are waiting on

Hamilton was on loan at Hartlepool and their loan deals expire on June 30th so he was basically ooc on 1st July so Hartlepool don’t have to sanction anything I would assume 

Just now, RRFC_Liam said:

Hamilton was on loan at Hartlepool and their loan deals expire on June 30th so he was basically ooc on 1st July so Hartlepool don’t have to sanction anything I would assume 

Temporary transfer when it's cross border.  They'll hold his registration.  

33 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

No reason to be listed as a trialist with us then but I think itzdrk may explained it perfectly