The New Raith Rovers Thread

If we're bringing in a second dedicated left back, I'd like him to be quite attacking minded, to give us another dimension. Liam Dick is really, really solid defensively but there were games last season where we could've really done with someone who would really get involved in attacks. 

We saw more than once last season and I imagine we'll see again on Saturday just how important attacking full backs can be, given Thistle have got the best two in the division. 

I think Dick already has that in his game. He was unlucky not to score against the Pars at home then he scored twice against Killie, albeit one was chopped off. It’s more Millen I’d be questioning with whether or not he’s got that side to his game.

16 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

I think Dick already has that in his game. He was unlucky not to score against the Pars at home then he scored twice against Killie, albeit one was chopped off. It’s more Millen I’d be questioning with whether or not he’s got that side to his game.

I can't remember his chance against Dunfermline, but both against Killie were from set pieces, which isn't really what I'm getting at. Teams know that with the attacking players we've got, they need to get tight and cover the passing and movement of Easton et al. One of the ways to get beyond that is with fullbacks who can naturally contribute to an overload. 

Ross Millen is more naturally inclined to move into space when it opens up for him, but it's limited somewhat by the fact that he hugely favours delivering (excellent) crosses from deep. 

4 hours ago, Scottydog said:

Loan market seems to generate a lot of interest for some but generally it leaves me cold. Other than Regan Hendry and Connor ORiordan we haven't had too many stand-out class kids on loan, often as not I feel we end up with a guy who is the same or no better than we already have on the books but we have to play him due to the loan agreement.

That said I do see us brining in one or two and wouldn't be surprised if they were impact players who feature off the bench as opposed to defenders.

Once everyone is available:

In Hamilton and Gullan we have two (3 if you include Vaughan) guys who can lead the line and hold the ball up.

The No 10 or second striker role we have lots of options, Gullan, Vaughan, Stanton, Easton, Ross, Mitchell and possibly even Smith.

On the wing we have Connolly and Mullin with in reserve Ross, Smith, Easton, Arnott and McGill, in the holding roles we have Brown and Matthews with cover in the shape of Stanton, McGill and at a push perhaps Arnott.

Defensively in the middle we have Watson & Murray with Masson Correct and Dick if need be.

At right back we have McGill, Masson and (at a push) Matthews  if Millen is unavailable.

Left back is where I see us thinnest on the ground if Dick is unavailable or needed else where we're struggling, the problem is if we bring in another Ngwenya type we probably have to play them to avoid paying all of their wages.

I'd have liked to seen a change in formation last week for the last 10 or 20 with Murray coming on for Corr to make a back 3 with Dick. McGill pushed up into the midfield holding role, releasing Stants to bomb forward.

Lots of really good options in most positions but no real challenge at present for the fullbacks, it would be nice to see a promising youngster signed as a LB or RB.

Connolly is the “at a real push” answer at LB…however, before then I suspect McGill would cope there OK. That being said, another LB is a pretty necessary add. If we are going to loan out Masson, we at least need Dick available at CB, which means we need a LB worthy of the name, and one that could play RB at a push too.

Arnott could go on loan as is, we have enough midfield options.

Mitchell on loan would likely see IM wanting a young striker/winger in first.

The interesting thought is if we are planning on fielding a Reserve or B team next year, do we spend a wee bit now to sign some young lads who also provide emergency depth? That allows more loans out for playing time, but current players or the new signings (it’s not like we haven’t loaned to LL before…). Yes, it’s money spent, but it might not be a waste in the big scheme…and getting them time training with the big dogs is a worthwhile experience.

4 hours ago, Scottydog said:

Loan market seems to generate a lot of interest for some but generally it leaves me cold. Other than Regan Hendry and Connor ORiordan we haven't had too many stand-out class kids on loan, often as not I feel we end up with a guy who is the same or no better than we already have on the books but we have to play him due to the loan agreement.

That said I do see us brining in one or two and wouldn't be surprised if they were impact players who feature off the bench as opposed to defenders.

Once everyone is available:

In Hamilton and Gullan we have two (3 if you include Vaughan) guys who can lead the line and hold the ball up.

The No 10 or second striker role we have lots of options, Gullan, Vaughan, Stanton, Easton, Ross, Mitchell and possibly even Smith.

On the wing we have Connolly and Mullin with in reserve Ross, Smith, Easton, Arnott and McGill, in the holding roles we have Brown and Matthews with cover in the shape of Stanton, McGill and at a push perhaps Arnott.

Defensively in the middle we have Watson & Murray with Masson Correct and Dick if need be.

At right back we have McGill, Masson and (at a push) Matthews  if Millen is unavailable.

Left back is where I see us thinnest on the ground if Dick is unavailable or needed else where we're struggling, the problem is if we bring in another Ngwenya type we probably have to play them to avoid paying all of their wages.

I'd have liked to seen a change in formation last week for the last 10 or 20 with Murray coming on for Corr to make a back 3 with Dick. McGill pushed up into the midfield holding role, releasing Stants to bomb forward.

Lots of really good options in most positions but no real challenge at present for the fullbacks, it would be nice to see a promising youngster signed as a LB or RB.

Loan players that were excellent for us. The boy Hardie from rangers, Johnny Russell, David Goodwillie.

4 minutes ago, Kirkcaldybanjo said:

Loan players that were excellent for us. The boy Hardie from rangers, Johnny Russell, David Goodwillie.

Jamie Walker is another and a certain Aidan Connolly wasn't bad either... 

I think players such as Craig Wilson and Pat Clarke had successful loans before signing for us, too. 

17 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Jamie Walker is another and a certain Aidan Connolly wasn't bad either... 

I think players such as Craig Wilson and Pat Clarke had successful loans before signing for us, too. 

Jason Holt & David Smith also debuted in the same game as Jamie Walker, seem to recall all 3 played well in that win over Hamilton.

7 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Damian Casalinuovo's three games loan produced some fantastic moments. Kevin Smith also deserves a mention - he was our main centre forward threat when we won the second division in 08/09. 

Yeah there's been plenty. I would expect that if someone looked back through them all, there would be more decent or good loans than they might think. 

If the rumours of Shaun Byrne is true about us wanting him in then I’ll be happy with that, experienced player that’s played higher level/ and won this league before adds extra quality to the midfield…. He’s not played for Dundee in a few weeks plus he wasn’t involved in their B side yesterday he interesting how it plays out if true of course 

35 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

If the rumours of Shaun Byrne is true about us wanting him in then I’ll be happy with that, experienced player that’s played higher level/ and won this league before adds extra quality to the midfield…. He’s not played for Dundee in a few weeks plus he wasn’t involved in their B side yesterday he interesting how it plays out if true of course 

Played very little last year, but is an experienced DM. Would shore up a thinnish spot, and allow Arnott to go on loan more easily. Good depth with Brown and Matthews, useful later game sub to improve lead holding ability, occasional starter…aye,, he’d do.

5 minutes ago, gmfc said:

Looks like we are signing Jamie MacDonald could he still do a job at this level? 

Without a doubt. The main issue is that he's had a few injuries but nothing that will be a huge worry. I think most of our fans are honest enough to say we've lost a very reliable keeper and you'd say he's better than Dabrowski (which is more about how well MacDonald did for us than Dabrowski being poor). He's always come across as a top guy.