The New Raith Rovers Thread

Yes, now I think he might be getting there. He couldn't break through into the Queens team last season, which would imply something missing that used to be there. he was a disaster at Hamilton before that. In the last two years he's only managed to prove himself as a second division player.

Now, I think we are better equipped with players who have a better reading of the game. Marv never really anticipated the play, but rather reacted to it, his reactions aren't what they used to be, and his physical presence is less intimidating in this league.

Agreed Marv has lost a bit of pace, but he never had much anyway. Thats not his strength. When we had him we hardly ever lost a defensive header and he was a major threat from corners and frees. He wasnt a disaster at Accies; he only played one game and was blamed for losing a lost a bad goal.

Agreed Marv has lost a bit of pace, but he never had much anyway. Thats not his strength. When we had him we hardly ever lost a defensive header and he was a major threat from corners and frees. He wasnt a disaster at Accies; he only played one game and was blamed for losing a lost a bad goal.

Yes, it's not so much the lack of raw pace but rather the slight slowing of reactions - the difference between a tackle and an outright leg breaker, he was unable to force his way back into that team, nor was he able to make it at QoS, I'd imagine that during training he simply wasn't competing well for his place.

The problem is that first divisions sides are cannier, faster and won't oblige us by humping balls striaght down the middle of the field for Marv to eat up. Luckily, Campbell has more to his game, as does Hill.

Andrews raw passion and strenght aren't enough anymore, we simply shouldn't be risking a wage on him.

Edited by renton

No idea what Marv's fitness is like now. I do know that I'm quite comfortable with Hill / Murray / Ellis at centre-back until Campbell is back. Will be surprised if we sign anyone else but whatever, I defer to McGlynn's judgement as per.

tho means playing murray at right back with probably hill and ellis in the middle and dyer on the left. that line up doesnt fill me with alot of confidence

Did the back line of Wilson, Murray, Simmons, Ferry fill you with confidence up in Aberdeen? :lol:

We'll be fine.

we dont have alot of cover centre half of Campbell/Wilson arent fit for start of the season, maybe that Davo needs to fill in if we get any injuries or suspensions during that time

worried about our striking options, i have faith as well much as the next Rovers fan (which is usually Renton) but we need to be making headway with getting a striker on board, i really dont want to go another season playing loan signing lottery

Did the back line of Wilson, Murray, Simmons, Ferry fill you with confidence up in Aberdeen? laugh.gif

We'll be fine.

well was tempted to walk home at that point laugh.gif

well was tempted to walk home at that point laugh.gif

Might as well of chucked yourself into the North sea! :lol:

Cover is needed definately, without Campbell and Wilson we are left with, Ellis, Murray, Dyer, Hill and you could include young Kevin Brown but I'm not sure McGlynn would want to shove him in right at the start of the season.

The first few league games are at home...hopefully we get through both of the cup ties unscaved and take it from there. Knowing our luck with injuries though...we're screwed. :lol:

Might as well of chucked yourself into the North sea! laugh.gif

Cover is needed definately, without Campbell and Wilson we are left with, Ellis, Murray, Dyer, Hill and you could include young Kevin Brown but I'm not sure McGlynn would want to shove him in right at the start of the season.

The first few league games are at home...hopefully we get through both of the cup ties unscaved and take it from there. Knowing our luck with injuries though...we're screwed. laugh.gif

yeah remember what happened to Joe Dingwall, its more the striker situation that worries me. We showed last season we can play good football and create chances but couldnt put those chance away which cost us alot of points and had me clenching for the last few weeks of the season

I hope Campbell's projected return in September is genuine and not a delay for more bad news. Hill an Murray have done exceptionally well in his absence, but we really need a fit Campbell. I was surprised McGlynn didnt free Ellis. He was beginning to look past it now for this division.

PS - I think Gattusse is due some credit - pity he's gone.

Edited by bring_back_the_twa_hoops

I hope Campbell's projected return in September is genuine and not a delay for more bad news. Hill an Murray have done exceptionally well in his absence, but we really need a fit Campbell. I was surprised McGlynn didnt free Ellis. He was beginning to look past it now for this division.

think Ellis will be fine for one more season, chances are he will prob be gone after that, Dyer looking like he will be the replacement at left back, Ellis is better centre half

We got caught short by relying on loans that backfired last season, we NEED to bring in our own striker IMO.

I'd be delighted with a permanent striker, and one other on loan. I certainly wouldnt be comfortable starting the season with the striking options we have at present.

I'm repeating myself here so I'll shut up after this time - promise.

Another striker would be nice, but we've already got one more than we had this time last year, we're certainly not in a position where we need to sign "a striker" just to make us feel better. If the right player is available, fine, if not then loan signings are the better bet. Chill. It's June.

On what basis does anyone think Ellis won't last much longer? Played very well last season, might have years in him yet - who knows?

we dont have alot of cover centre half of Campbell/Wilson arent fit for start of the season, maybe that Davo needs to fill in if we get any injuries or suspensions during that time

I hope not. He is a very, very poor centre half. Wedderburn would be a better option going on his performances against Dunfermline and Ross County.

Harsh on Ellis, he had a good season overall. Bit of a sticky patch November/December, but that was all. Gatheussi started off quite well and turned awful, I've no idea what happened. His performance at Airdrie in the 3-0 defeat was worse than most of Anelka's mob.

I agree with Yoss with the "don't panic" sentiment, but I do think it's a must we get a striker in. We had high hopes for Weir last season that don't exist this time around. No point getting the wrong player in though, as long as a striker is here by the Partick match I'll be happy enough.

Don't know if this is the right place to put this or if it's already been mentioned, but it is rumoured that you lot could be playing Liverpool in a pre-season friendly.

That just can't be true.