The New Raith Rovers Thread

Would've been a good signing. As long as we're not going mental with the budget I'm very encouraged we're looking at players like that.

Campbell should've looked at what happened to Brian Graham once he was freed from the shackles of perennial nobodies Morton. His loss.

This should hopefully convince people once and for all that wages at Morton are very modest. Raith can offer more ffs and they're apparently skint!

Or, to look at it another way, our top earners make more money than your low end earners, it could all be relative to where we see the importance of that player with repsect to our own squad. Entirely conjectural but I don't think it's as black and white as you make out.

Edited by renton

if we got Fox and Cardle, or two equivalent type players we'd still be shy of two strikers, cover for the full back and a centre half.

I was still basing Clark in the equation as well

Yeah, I doubt Campbell will be near one of our top earners. When he was signed originally it was as a 20-year old fourth choice striker and then when his contract was renewed at the end of that season he hadn't established himself as a regular. While he's shown his credentials with an outstanding goals to game ratio this season, he won't be in the starting XI if MacDonald's still here. That said, the fact Raith are outbidding us is nevertheless more material for laughing at those claiming we spend ridiculous wages with no evidence for this.

Edit: Sorry for taking over your thread briefly. :P

Edited by Dunning1874

Yeah, I doubt Campbell will be near one of our top earners. When he was signed originally it was as a 20-year old fourth choice striker and then when his contract was renewed at the end of that season he hadn't established himself as a regular. While he's shown his credentials with an outstanding goals to game ratio this season, he won't be in the starting XI if MacDonald's still here. That said, the fact Raith are outbidding us is nevertheless more material for laughing at those claiming we spend ridiculous wages with no evidence for this.

Edit: Sorry for taking over your thread briefly. :P

No worries, it should be noted that Dyer was one of our higher earning players, and apparently got a hike in wages to go to Morton. It just goes to show that you probably can't make an assessement of a team's overall budget from one player.

Its clear that we've gone out of our way to make Campbell an offer which would see him cement his place with a solid wage and a first team player. Morton will offer him full time football and a chance at a team challenging for the league, but I doubt he'll have been high in their priorities.

For what its worth, I'd rather we went out of our way to make sure we get Greig Spence back on board as opposed to the likes of Campbell. I firmly believe if the Spence is given consistent starts and a bit more focus on his finishing he'll be a top quality player at this level. He's a relatively intelligent player and will look to bring others into play. If he could finish his one on ones better, he'd be different class.

I was told when he signed at the time for Raith, Brian Graham was offered double what he was offered at Morton. I don't have many "insider" sources in football, but this one was about as reliable as they get in relation to this...

I was told when he signed at the time for Raith, Brian Graham was offered double what he was offered at Morton. I don't have many "insider" sources in football, but this one was about as reliable as they get in relation to this...

He was offered double at Raith, the same cash but a two year deal, Morton only offered a 1 year deal

I thought this too.

However, the Greenock Telegraph,which is the paper with this news story, have stated that Campbell has turned down a "more lucrative offer" from Raith Rovers to stay with the club. Either Rovers were willing to offer him a pretty impressive wage, or Morton aren't offering him all that much, reiterating the fact that we are cutting back each year.

Well, if it's in the papers it MUST be true. Aherrm. :whistle

Edited by Wee Sandy

Well, if it's in the papers it MUST be true. Aherrm. :whistle

Knowing the guy who wrote the article and how meticulous he is, having gone to games with him for years before he got the job he's doing, I'd say yes, it must be true.

Knowing the guy who wrote the article and how meticulous he is, having gone to games with him for years before he got the job he's doing, I'd say yes, it must be true.

Fair play, but can you confirm what the two offers were? Seems to be some ambiguity from comments between the guys "in the know"

It was double the contract length and the money.

Assuming we take that as gospel:

Graham was going to be 2nd or 3rd choice striker at Morton whereas for us he became one of our top paid players in a much smaller squad (McG tried to get by with a squad of 13 senior players before relenting and bringing in Thomson, Clarke, Casalinouvo and the young Hearts guys).

I do think Morton can pay their players more, but there is probably an overlap between the two teams in terms of what can be paid, and also in how the players are valued. John McGlynn clearly thought Graham was worth a lot more than Allan Moore, and given that he wouldv'e been behind McDonald and Jackson, it wasn't worth Moore's time or money to offer him more than he did I'd guess.

He was only offered double in the sense that he got a two year deal from Raith where Morton were only offering one. Otherwise the money was comparable and that was what the player himself said at the time. Don't know if thats a more reliable source than yours??