The New Raith Rovers Thread

Not good enough. Struggled badly in the 3rd. But hey, if we sign him this forum will be swamped with posts such as 'give him a chance. How many times you seen him play. You're not a true fan' and what not

Not good enough. Struggled badly in the 3rd. But hey, if we sign him this forum will be swamped with posts such as 'give him a chance. How many times you seen him play. You're not a true fan' and what not

Why wouldn't you give him a chance? Bizarre. A lot of players who are deemed not good enough for Rangers go on to do well elsewhere.

Think Conroy will be a good signing for you, technically he's excellent. Not entirely sure if he's been played through the middle before but I've always felt he has the attributes to play a more central role. Think the fact he has a good left foot means he's always just played out wide.

I see Motherwell aren't offering Clarkson a deal. I have no doubt he'll find a bigger club than ourselves but surely worth a punt. As for Perry?very meh. It's a full back we need. I can't believe we let Donaldson go.

Edited by Enigma

Why wouldn't you give him a chance? Bizarre. A lot of players who are deemed not good enough for Rangers go on to do well elsewhere.

That wasn't the point I was making. Everytime we sign a player someone isn't sure on that is posted in some shape or form.

I can't believe we let Donaldson go.

Neither can I. Young and versatile. We could have even just sent him out on loan and recalled him if we were in dire straits again. He wasn't even that bad a player. Had potential.

I think it's difficult to judge any player on his performances in an Ally McCoist team. You only have to look at the decline of Nicky Law and the rise of Kane Hemmings to see McCoist's affect on the players under him.

That said, I'm not sure Perry covers the positions that we need cover for, unless he can slot in at full back.

Given all the evidence available, Donaldson doesn't have the technique to be part of a Championship squad this season. His versatility is a real plus, and physically he's come on leaps and bounds, but I don't think he's good enough as things stand. Understandably, he wanted regular first team football, and he'd never get that here, particularly if he wants to play centre half.

Today's going to be an interesting one. I think Wednesday night was a demonstration of our 'attacking' system for the coming season. The 4-2-3-1. Obviously the back four remains the same, something that everyone is comfortable with, and that might be why Murray played around with the defence. Against St Johnstone, I think we'll see the 'defensive' system, for use against Rangers et al. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see some variation of a back five, looking at the players we've signed and this new link with Ross Perry. Certainly if it's a back four for these sort of games, I'd be surprised if Craig Barr isn't in the defensive midfield role, rather than at centre half.

I see Motherwell aren't offering Clarkson a deal. I have no doubt he'll find a bigger club than ourselves but surely worth a punt. As for Perry?very meh. It's a full back we need. I can't believe we let Donaldson go.

We let Donaldson go cause he clearly wasn't good enough. He found his level when out on loan.

We let Donaldson go cause he clearly wasn't good enough. He found his level when out on loan.

Donaldson was a stand out for Peterhead and they were gutted we recalled him which would suggest he could play at a higher level than league 2. He'll play in league 1 for them this season and it wouldn't surprise me if he was a stand out again.

He could have been a handy player for us this year.

Donaldson was woeful and he was certainly high on my 'to be punted' wish list. Youngster or not he is not cut out for this level. His attempts to kick a ball reminded me of an 8 year old who didn't have the muscle power to be playing with a fully inflated leather ball.

Donaldson was a stand out for Peterhead and they were gutted we recalled him which would suggest he could play at a higher level than league 2. He'll play in league 1 for them this season and it wouldn't surprise me if he was a stand out again.

He could have been a handy player for us this year.

Like I said found his level. When he got recalled did he stand out for us, has he ever stood out for us and if memory serves didn't he get sent off on his return. I know many will be loyal to young players brought through the youth ranks, but if they aren't good enough punt them, otherwise we pay wages for players that will take us down to their level, when those wages are better spent on players that will improve us.

Conroy isn't the quickest and isn't a tackler however he's technically very good (if totally left footed). Good pass, can run with the ball, good cross, great shot and best free kick and pen taker I've seen. Great lad too. Wish him and raith well. If you have an attacking left back then he'll do well. Otherwise I've always felt he should play more central.

Like I said found his level. When he got recalled did he stand out for us, has he ever stood out for us and if memory serves didn't he get sent off on his return. I know many will be loyal to young players brought through the youth ranks, but if they aren't good enough punt them, otherwise we pay wages for players that will take us down to their level, when those wages are better spent on players that will improve us.

No but I always felt he was a solid player. I personally just thought he had more to give and would have been a decent player to have in the squad this year.

Donaldson was woeful and he was certainly high on my 'to be punted' wish list. Youngster or not he is not cut out for this level. His attempts to kick a ball reminded me of an 8 year old who didn't have the muscle power to be playing with a fully inflated leather ball.

He certainly wasn't woeful.

The way he kicks a football? How is that relevant to how good or bad a player he is?

Donaldson was a stand out for Peterhead and they were gutted we recalled him which would suggest he could play at a higher level than league 2.

What bizarre logic.

Donaldson always seemed awkward and ungainly, certainly not Championship material. Maybe he's versatile as he was happy to play anywhere along the back 4; unfortunately he wasn't particularly good in any position.

It was unfortunate that Donaldson had to be called back from Peterhead when he was. Instead of spending six months in Peterhead building up confidence in a winning side and coming back to fight for his place, he was parachuted into a crisis-hit defence in that was struggling badly.

It would've taken some superhuman performances for him to really stand out, and I'm not surprised that both parties have taken the chance to start afresh.

It looks like Bates will be taking up the 'Donaldson' role, and hopefully if he gets a loan spell it'll be lengthy and impressive.

Under the circumstances, I think letting Donaldson go was the right decision. It could've been different, but it wasn't.

Due to holiday and work commitments Raith Rovers Abroad live Video coverage is not available for today's friendly v St Johnstone.

Audio commentary for today's game is FREE.

No idea who this big blonde keeper is. As per Wednesday, I can only imagine he's doing us a favour while Cuthbert gets over an injury.

Watson, Hill and Barr must be carrying injuries, none of them feature.

I can't see Archie Campbell. One of the trialists is Andy Munro, who was basically the Reserves 'Captain' last year. Spent time on loan at Sauchie too. Centre half who can also cover at right back.