The New Raith Rovers Thread

Ive seen good Rovers teams have poor pre-seasons, and vice versa. Its for getting fitness, little more.

The fact is though, we need to hit the ground running this season. Anything even verging on last seasons disaster (2nd half) will see us in huge trouble.

We were one player away from our first choice back 4 last night and apparently were in complete and utter disarray. Very, very concerning.

Delighted Mcgurn is back in any capacity.

In fairness, I'd say McGurn would be a vital part of any defence. Regardless of what anyone thinks of Laidlaw, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who'd argue against either of McGurn or Cuthbert. Similarly, given how Laurie is pretty much a liability nowadays then it was difficult for us to show stability. Similarly, Watson looks like he needs the match practice to get back into the swing of things. Some of his decision making was a wee bit off last night, though he clearly was miles ahead of Ellis.

The home match against Queen of the South has been moved forward a day to Friday 10th October with a 7.45pm kick off.

Is Dumfries to Kdy not one of the longest commutes in the league now...

On a Friday night?

Looks like the new league set up is as forward thinking as the last lot were.

Will probably get as much fans on the Firday night as we would have got clashing with the Scotland game. QotS bring a minimal support anyway so its not really a great loss in terms of travelling numbers.

It could be a nice wee experiment with Friday night football though.

dear god, I'll be in the pub for hours that day.....

Just to complicate things, the semi-finals of the Petrofac Training Cup are on Sunday 12th October so Friday night's fixture could be cancelled if either team is still involved and you could be blitzed on Saturday and Sunday instead. :cheers

Just to complicate things, the semi-finals of the Petrofac Training Cup are on Sunday 12th October so Friday night's fixture could be cancelled if either team is still involved and you could be blitzed on Saturday and Sunday instead. :cheers

Well we won't have to worry about that anyway unless QotS get that far, as I can't see us getting past the pars..

Second summer on the trot we've played you chaps at Stark's. Looks like it may become a regular thing.

Edit - Soz about the 4-3 in Feb/March (?) 2010. Raith became my 2nd team after that game.

Edited by TheScarf

To be fair, the only one I'm trepidatious about is Stewart, who needs to really pull something out to prove he's good enough. The rest of our signings have been solid enough, I would've said. I'd still like to see a bit more raw pace in the team though.

I'm trepidatious about the fact that, love them or loathe them, we've lost a lot of goals from the team in Baird, Spence and to a lesser extent Smith and Cardle.

Other factors are most of our new signings already carrying injuries; the much trumpeted need for greater squad strength and depth doesn't appear to have materialised, or if it has it isn't obvious; Nade being a bit of a risk signing and having never scored more than 8 goals in a season; same goes for Stewart; Elliot having gone completely off the boil since Xmas and turned into a petulant guy who just looks for fouls all the time and shouts at refs - he seems to have forgotten that either scoring goals or holding up the ball for others to score goals is supposed to be his game.

I've never really been greatly enamoured with our midfield either.

Still, hey ho, onwards and upwards. I think my first game of the season will be the league opener, so I'll just be watching from a distance until then.

Edited by Scary Bear

I come home from Florida that day.

What an almighty come down that'll potentially become.

It will be a huge come down, then you'll have the Rovers game to look forward to.

I come home from Florida that day.

What an almighty come down that'll potentially become.

I go to Florida that day, enjoy the match...

I'm booking my holiday to Florida in 2019 on that day...

I drank a bottle of M&S "Florida" orange juice on my way to last Saturday's game.

#involved.